Railroad maps

shern_0711

May 19, 2012

Sandpiper

Jan 16, 2005
I don't know of any maps that shows thetracks which are far North of the now L&N. I have tried to locateinformation on it before. There are maps dating back to the 1800's- non showing tracks at that location. Yes, dates back to the 1800's as I understand.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
More than likely :Special Collections, the University of Alabama. The research librarian can point the way if they don't have them.

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with the Register of Deeds for the County...often the Railroads purchased rights of way or were granted property by the State, there might be something in the Public record. Also check to see if there is a local or state railroad historical society with some info, also web search the nearest town for a railroad station... good luck, Herb

Davidail

Nov 3, 2012
North FL and North GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector with 5" coil making it the AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google USGS Topo's Map Locator find your area by zooming in on the locator map click on point of interest and all available maps will show up some areas have 1880 -1900 maps which are free to Download. USGS site is down right now due to Gov. shutdown

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is your friend's property close to Routes 16/90 (Spanish Trail/Government Blvd)?

Naming the railroad may be an interesting challenge. For example, consider that in the northern part of Alabama, the Cahaba Coal Mining Company had a line (maybe as early as 1884) to service their mines. That line may have become part of the Brierfield, Blocton and Birmingham Railway, incorporated in 1889. By 1891, the BB&B came under the control of the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railway, which itself merged with the Richmond and Danville Railroad in 1894 to become the Southern Railway.

Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread