Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

This morning I detected the first of five house sites that I recently received permission from the property owner to hunt, they all date from 1850 - 1890. The houses are all located within a one-block radius of each other here in 'small town' Ontario. I found out this building was used from 1920 - 1940 to house the crews working on the CNR, which passes within 1/4mi of here. The house is still in use as a boarding house, although the people who rent here now are obviously not as well off as the railway workers must have been. :icon_scratch:

Surprisingly the only area to detect here was the front yard, most of which was made up of heavy gravel. I only found a couple of modern pennies, the earliest being a 1927 'Wheatie'. Detecting close to the front porch I found the one and only 'keeper' of the day... a Red Caboose! Now how fitting a find is that for this site! :laughing7: Inside the body, it is stamped 'Made in Canada' London ON and has the number '417' on the outside, my online research turned up nothing.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

PS. It has come to my attention that this caboose was likely made by the Webster Brothers in London, ON

"The Webster Brothers, of London, Ontario, were the manufacturers of the β€œLondontoy” line of small cast metal vehicles, which included a line of wartime vehicles and play sets. Toys that were already in production in peace-time were given new military paint schemes. Beverage trucks became army trucks towing cannons and delivery trucks became military ambulances. Small die-cast cars and trucks were made by London toy beginning in the 1940’s. Their cars, pick-up trucks, beverage trucks, and buses came in two sizes and several colours and were offered as part of different sets including a gas station and airport. Truly Canadian toys, that is, toys designed, manufactured and sold in Canada, whose design is based on Canadian vehicles or other subjects, that were also designed and manufactured in Canada, are rare. One example of this sort of toy is the Reliable Toy Company’s plastic Avro "Canuck" jet fighter of 1955. Others are the various "CPR" and "CNR" trains, from the cast-iron floor trains of the early 1900s to the 1950s ride-on trains."

Attachments

• SDC10514.JPG
    SDC10514.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 94
  • SDC10516.JPG
    SDC10516.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 97
  • SDC10534.JPG
    SDC10534.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 115
  • SDC10537.JPG
    SDC10537.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 88
  • SDC10533.JPG
    SDC10533.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 106
  • SDC10536.JPG
    SDC10536.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 125
  • SDC10535.JPG
    SDC10535.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Upvote 6

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you've got some more nice sites. I wonder how many martingales are hiding there? I like the caboose. Don't think I have ever told a guy that before, lol!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the caboose. Don't think I have ever told a guy that before, lol!
Isn't that how u told me you get your permission?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool find bud. Very fitting indeed

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you've got some more nice sites. I wonder how many martingales are hiding there? I like the caboose. Don't think I have ever told a guy that before, lol!

Thanks very much Dave! :thumbsup:
Getting back again today, weather permitting, to a c1870 house at the same location.
Hopefully I'll have better stuff to show tonight. :dontknow:
Dave

PS. Thanks for the compliment too... I don't think I've ever had a guy tell me that they liked my Caboose before! :laughing7:

Isn't that how u told me you get your permission?

How you get permission is your own business!
Even if you get it by telling the person they look best when they're walking away from you! :laughing7:
Dave

That's a cool find bud. Very fitting indeed

Thanks Abe!
But what I'd really like to know is... why hasn't your 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB find from yesterday not made the BANNER yet! :BangHead:

Cool find!

Thank you my friend! :thumbsup:
Dave

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much Dave! :thumbsup: Getting back again today, weather permitting, to a c1870 house at the same location. Hopefully I'll have better stuff to show tonight. :dontknow: Dave PS. Thanks for the compliment too... I don't think I've ever had a guy tell me that they liked my Caboose before! :laughing7: How you get permission is your own business! Even if you get it by telling the person they look best when they're walking away from you! :laughing7: Dave Thanks Abe! But what I'd really like to know is... why hasn't your 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB find from yesterday not made the BANNER yet! :BangHead: Thank you my friend! :thumbsup: Dave
To answer your question somebody posted an axe that went up top. Come to find out it was found in 2013 and until it gets taken down my tree coin can't go up. I'm pretty satisfied knowing it's in my house lol

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find on the caboose Dave. There was a metal toy manufacture in London by the name of Webster Brothers, of London, Ontario

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To answer your question somebody posted an axe that went up top. Come to find out it was found in 2013 and until it gets taken down my tree coin can't go up. I'm pretty satisfied knowing it's in my house lol

I don't see how the axe 'not deserving' to be up there means your find can't make the BANNER! :icon_scratch:
This isn't fair to you Abe, hopefully this will get taken care of today!
Dave

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find on the caboose Dave. There was a metal toy manufacture in London by the name of Webster Brothers, of London, Ontario
Hey thanks for the information J! :occasion14:
This will at least give me more info to follow up on!
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread