Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: LINK TO AN INTERESTING DISCUSSION.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Reviews-Guides/Magnetic-Gold-Gold/5200074663

Read and decide for yourself, I'm not convinced but I never knew either. :dontknow:

I just didn't feel like playing in the mud today so I went shopping instead. In the parking lot I get this "eyeball" find. I looked briefly at it, said, junk and tossed it in my pocket. But, now, it has me puzzled. I am just about one hundred percent sure my initial evaluation is correct. But, since I couldn't find a marking on it nowhere and since I have this testing kit to play with, :) , I decided to test. I have tested quite a few pieces so I'm not completely new to the process. But, the scratch test stood up to the 10k, 14k, 18k AND even the 22k testing solutions!!!

Ok I said! Maybe this was part of an antique set that goes back to some time when they didn't mark them. (trying to justify and believe, you know how it goes. LOL ) It did seem to be heavier than it looked. 7.45 grams. But gold!?!? Nah, it just didn't look quite right.

So, I dug out my magnet (which is REALLY a powerful one!) And guess what? The piece has a very slight attraction. Regular iron/steel would jump out of my hand toward the magnet and I would have to pry it back off. This was attracted, but just slightly. Enough to be sure it is but not overly so.

Soooooooo, can ANYONE think of a way that gold could be mixed in such a way as to have even a slight magnetic property?!?!!?

I'm willing to admit I might have screwed up on the testing even though I don't see how. I did it twice and one of the pictures shows how far I scratched down into the metal to get a good test. Should've been way far enough to get past any plating.

Any ideas? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Anyway, thanks for peeking.
HH!

Attachments

• IMGA2258.JPG
    IMGA2258.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGA2257.JPG
    IMGA2257.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMGA2256.JPG
    IMGA2256.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMGA2255.JPG
    IMGA2255.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Upvote 0

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, but i'll be happy to give my opinion, for what it's worth. I've had pieces I've tested over and over again and they seem to test well. That being said, the overall picture doesn't look good. Rarely have I seen a gold earing with a white metal post, unless both were white gold. Also when I see a textured backside...well not many pieces of silver or gold jewelry have a textured backside (I have seen a very few pieces of silver like that). As far as the magnetic properties, I know the scrapper I go to wouldn't touch it if it shows any magnetism. I wish I could tell you it's gold, but I do doubt it is, but you can always take it to someone and see if it will fly. Good luck!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rain in Britain is my friend/norm :laughing7:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, but i'll be happy to give my opinion, for what it's worth. As far as the magnetic properties, I know the scrapper I go to wouldn't touch it if it shows any magnetism. I wish I could tell you it's gold, but I do doubt it is, but you can always take it to someone and see if it will fly. Good luck!

Yep, I agree with you. If I was a scrapper and there was any magnetic properties, I wouldn't buy either. I got out some known rings and tested them. They tested as expected. Retested the earring and it still is pretending to be gold. :)

Thanks for helping!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX