Ran a "sting operation" on some Gold Buyers today

Re: Ran a "sting operation" on some Gold Buyers today

lookindown said:
If you see a great deal at a yard sale, do you offer to pay more so you don't rip the seller off? If a used car salesman offers you below book value for your car is he scum? I could go on but I don't think it will help. We don't live in a world of kittens and butterflies....its the school of hard knocks.
diggummup said:
lookindown said:
If you see a great deal at a yard sale, do you offer to pay more so you don't rip the seller off? If a used car salesman offers you below book value for your car is he scum? I could go on but I don't think it will help. We don't live in a world of kittens and butterflies....its the school of hard knocks.
Your comparing apples to oranges pal. ::) Some people ya just can't reach. :icon_scratch:
Would you saying that I'm comparing apples to oranges have anything to do with the fact that you come on here and brag about your yard sale finds? Why don't you offer those people a fair price, or at the very least tell them what you are going to make off of them. At least let them know what their stuff is really worth. You do have EVERYONES best intrest at heart don't you? :dontknow:

lookindown said:
lookindown said:
diggummup said:
lookindown said:
Your comparing apples to oranges pal. ::) Some people ya just can't reach. :icon_scratch:
Would you saying that I'm comparing apples to oranges have anything to do with the fact that you come on here and brag about your yard sale finds? Why don't you offer those people a fair price, or at the very least tell them what you are going to make off of them. At least let them know what their stuff is really worth. You do have EVERYONES best intrest at heart don't you? :dontknow:
It has nothing to do with the fact that I come on here and talk (if you prefer "bragging" then so be it)about my finds so that others may gain knowledge of what types of items to look for themselves. The difference is (and I know it may be hard for you to comprehend, so read it a few times if ya have to) I am not setting up shop in a local hotel and advertising a full page ad for unsuspecting marks to come and have their valuables appraised for their "worth" and then offering them 10 cents on the dollar of their true value. Instead, I am going to someones garage sale where they are obviously trying to get rid of what they consider to be excess junk or items that they have no use for. They already have a set price that they want for their items. I pay them what they want and thats that. That's what I mean when I say your comparing apples to oranges. It's elementary son, chew on that a while. ::) ::)

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
lookindown said:
You knew what the result was going to be....why did you waste your time doing this? The people that sell to these operations dont care. If they did they would do a little research on where to sell.

Maybe I just like to mess with people? Fishing is a colossal waste of time in my opinion (unless you can't afford to buy food) but whatever floats your boat lol.
I too enjoy messing with people! Especially when they deserve it lol! However, i cannot agree with u that fishing is a waste of time......

Attachments

• 0703091939a.jpg
    0703091939a.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 693
  • 0703091939b.jpg
    0703091939b.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 691

diggummup said:
lookindown said:
lookindown said:
diggummup said:
lookindown said:
It has nothing to do with the fact that I come on here and talk (if you prefer "bragging" then so be it)about my finds so that others may gain knowledge of what types of items to look for themselves. The difference is (and I know it may be hard for you to comprehend, so read it a few times if ya have to) I am not setting up shop in a local hotel and advertising a full page ad for unsuspecting marks to come and have their valuables appraised for their "worth" and then offering them 10 cents on the dollar of their true value. Instead, I am going to someones garage sale where they are obviously trying to get rid of what they consider to be excess junk or items that they have no use for. They already have a set price that they want for their items. I pay them what they want and thats that. That's what I mean when I say your comparing apples to oranges. It's elementary son, chew on that a while. ::) ::)
Chew on this....In one of your past posts you said "Its not my job to inform sellers on the value of their stuff". I know you hate it but your the same as the gold buyers. You said it not me. Comprehend that. Im not posting on this topc again....you might want to do a little damage control.

IAMZIM said:
lookindown said:
You knew what the result was going to be....why did you waste your time doing this? The people that sell to these operations dont care. If they did they would do a little research on where to sell.

Maybe I just like to mess with people? Fishing is a colossal waste of time in my opinion (unless you can't afford to buy food) but whatever floats your boat lol.
I too enjoy messing with people! Especially when they deserve it lol! However, i cannot agree with u that fishing is a waste of time......
That's the thickest trout Ive ever seen....did you catch him in a river? Is that a rainbow?

lookindown said:
Chew on this....In one of your past posts you said "Its not my job to inform sellers on the value of their stuff". I know you hate it but your the same as the gold buyers. You said it not me. Comprehend that. Im not posting on this topc again....you might want to do a little damage control.

He doesn't need to do any "damage control". Like he said, it's apples and oranges bro. Someone sticking a price on something at a yard sale is different than someone taking a valuable commodity (gold and silver are commodities) to a bunch of scam artists running a traveling newspaper grift under the guise of being a reputable "gold and silver buyers" and getting torched for 10% of their value.

When someone is selling an item out of their garage, they have already made up their mind about the amount of money they want to receive out of the item. When people go to a "Treasure Hunters Roadshow" hotel buy, they walk in with no clue or idea of their item's worth. The scammers run an ad that presents them as "experts" in regards to these items - and they are. But instead of offering a fair price, they do the exact opposite.

I feel the same way as diggumup does in regards to this. If someone only WANTS a set amount on what they are selling, I give it to them. But if someone comes to me with a silver dollar and asks for my input as to its value, I'm not going to tell them it's worth its face value. If someone came to me asking me to give them an estimate on their goods and I tell them an amount that is 10% of the actual value, that makes me a liar.

Wow! I didn't know it was this bad. I "feel" for you lookingdown, unfortunately I just can't reach you. Tsk, tsk, tsk. What we have here is failure to communicate.

lookindown said:

He doesn't need to do any "damage control". Like he said, it's apples and oranges bro. Someone sticking a price on something at a yard sale is different than someone taking a valuable commodity (gold and silver are commodities) to a bunch of scam artists running a traveling newspaper grift under the guise of being a reputable "gold and silver buyers" and getting torched for 10% of their value.

When someone is selling an item out of their garage, the y have already made up their mind about the amount of money they want to receive out of the item. When people go to a "Treasure Hunters Roadshow" hotel buy, they walk in with no clue or idea of their item's worth. The scammers run an ad that presents them as "experts" in regards to these items - and they are. But instead of offering a fair price, they do the exact opposite.

I feel the same way as diggumup does in regards to this. If someone only WANTS a set amount on what they are selling, I give it to them. But if someone comes to me with a silver dollar and asks for my input as to its value, I'm not going to tell them it's worth its face value. If someone came to me asking me to give them an estimate on their goods and I tell them an amount that is 10% of the actual value, that makes me a liar.
Just found one of your old posts where you said "Its the sellers responsibility to research their item". Uh oh. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

You guys have been exposed.....you deserve each other.....my last post...good bye. :hello:

I belive the show 20/20 did show about these kind of company's. :dontknow:

lookindown said:
Just found one of your old posts where you said "Its the sellers responsibility to research their item". Uh oh. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

I suppose you mean this one?

Nice finds man! :icon_thumright:

And no - I have never felt guilty about getting a good deal. It's the sellers responsibility to research their item and price it accordingly. I have sold items that were under priced that I failed to research so that knife cuts both ways.

In fact, I feel a certain amount of pleasure if I can get over on someone like a pawn broker. I recently bought an old Pioneer Super Tuner cassette player/FM car stereo made in 1976 from a pawn shop for $8.00 and sold it on eBay for $250.00

Giving a pawn shop a taste of their own medicine was quite a pleasurable experience.

Which was then followed up by this one:

On the other hand, if I go to a flea market or something and a guy has a box full of Mercury Dimes with ".50 cents each" written down as his price, I'm not going to correct his error. But, if someone comes to me with a pile of Mercury Dimes and asks me how much I can give for the silver, I sit them down and explain spot price for that day, weigh the coins, multiply by 90% to calculate silver content, then multiply again by the percentage I am willing to pay - which is usually 75%-80%.

If they are not happy with the price I tell them to:

(A) Sell them on eBay themselves and give eBay and PayPal nearly 20% (most don't know how, else they wouldn't ask me)

(B) Take them to an auction barn and get 70% of whatever a bidder will pay for them - which could be $5.00

(C) Take them to our local coin dealer and get burned

(D) Take them to a "We Buy Gold and Silver!" place and get REALLY burned

(E) Take them to a pawn shop and get SCORCHED like you were standing three feet from the sun

I give them about every option I can for selling their coins except for turning them onto a refinery, which is information I keep to myself because I don't like the idea of coins being melted down.

I stand by every word of those posts. How convenient that you left out the rest of what I had said, which is basically the EXACT same thing I have been saying in this particular thread. Nice try at taking it out of context in order to "prove" your nonexistent point though. You should work for FOX News.

He's not talking anymore, he proved his point, we are exposed and he is the winner. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

diggummup said:
He's not talking anymore, he proved his point, we are exposed and he is the winner. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Yes. Taking only one line from a very lengthy post and leaving out the rest, followed by tucking your tail and running like a scalded dog is a true testament to his victory.

I'm saying the exact same thing in this thread as I was in the other one.

I'd say you did a "good" job with your "sting operation" by exposing the "bad & the ugly". ;D

when one is a hunter , its best not to wizen up their prey- or else the hunter goes hungry .

when your deer hunting do you yell loudly to the deer "hey look out" before trying to shoot?

for non thinking type folks to learn better , and not do dumb stuff -pain is often a good teacher - pain can be either physical or fiscal - suffering teaches us not to do that again. --you do not retouch a hot stove do you? one time is normally enough & then its a lesson learned. - don't get burned.

sadly some folks are slow and need to be repeatedly taught this lesson and some folks seem to be well "unteachible"

if they are that slow on the up take -- its morally wrong to allow them to "keep" money since all they will do is use it to buy food and shelter to breed more dense folks thus weaking the overall gene pool.--so for the sake of the future of humanity --take their money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back