Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Ran a "sting operation" on some Gold Buyers today

ivan salis said:
when one is a hunter , its best not to wizen up their prey- or else the hunter goes hungry .

when your deer hunting do you yell loudly to the deer "hey look out" before trying to shoot?

for non thinking type folks to learn better , and not do dumb stuff -pain is often a good teacher - pain can be either physical or fiscal - suffering teaches us not to do that again. --you do not retouch a hot stove do you? one time is normally enough & then its a lesson learned. - don't get burned.

sadly some folks are slow and need to be repeatedly taught this lesson and some folks seem to be well "unteachible"

if they are that slow on the up take -- its morally wrong to allow them to "keep" money since all they will do is use it to buy food and shelter to breed more dense folks thus weaking the overall gene pool.--so for the sake of the future of humanity --take their money.

I can't tell if this was a serious post or not but wow... I am speechless.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I dont think it was serious.....just the truth. ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown said:
You guys have been exposed.....you deserve each other.....my last post...good bye. :hello:
What happened.... you have a change of heart? I see your back again.:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

ivan salis said:
when one is a hunter , its best not to wizen up their prey- or else the hunter goes hungry .

when your deer hunting do you yell loudly to the deer "hey look out" before trying to shoot?

for non thinking type folks to learn better , and not do dumb stuff -pain is often a good teacher - pain can be either physical or fiscal - suffering teaches us not to do that again. --you do not retouch a hot stove do you? one time is normally enough & then its a lesson learned. - don't get burned.

sadly some folks are slow and need to be repeatedly taught this lesson and some folks seem to be well "unteachible"

if they are that slow on the up take -- its morally wrong to allow them to "keep" money since all they will do is use it to buy food and shelter to breed more dense folks thus weaking the overall gene pool.--so for the sake of the future of humanity --take their money.
lookindown said:
Haven't you ever heard the expression "It takes all kinds"? The gene pool will always be filled with fools as well as others who "think" they are superior to others. Stalin, Hitler, Hirohito, Pol Pot, Idi Amin all come to mind.... just to name a few. Trying to create a master race of smart people by thinning out the "slow, dense folks" from the gene pool, WOW!! THAT'S REFRESHING! Maybe I should bow to you oh wise one. NOT!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggummup said:
lookindown said:
You guys have been exposed.....you deserve each other.....my last post...good bye. :hello:
What happened.... you have a change of heart? I see your back again. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

ivan salis said:

lookindown said:
Haven't you ever heard the expression "It takes all kinds"? The gene pool will always be filled with fools as well as others who "think" they are superior to others. Stalin, Hitler, Hirohito, Pol Pot, Idi Amin all come to mind.... just to name a few. Trying to create a master race of smart people by thinning out the "slow, dense folks" from the gene pool, WOW!! THAT'S REFRESHING! Maybe I should bow to you oh wise one. NOT!
It was just a joke.....thats not my view on people. I dont have anything against you and Hombre, I dont even know you. I just like a good argument sometimes. I had fun going back and forth. I could have argued from your point of view just as easy, I got what yall were saying. Hope there arent any hard feelings, I dont carry a grudge...I never had one any way. I know I shouldnt mess with people....but sometimes I do. :dontknow:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown said:
diggummup said:
lookindown said:
What happened.... you have a change of heart? I see your back again. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

ivan salis said:

lookindown said:
It was just a joke.....thats not my view on people. I dont have anything against you and Hombre, I dont even know you. I just like a good argument sometimes. I had fun going back and forth. I could have argued from your point of view just as easy, I got what yall were saying. Hope there arent any hard feelings, I dont carry a grudge...I never had one any way. I know I shouldnt mess with people....but sometimes I do. :dontknow:
And with that we can agree! ;D I like to have heated discussions myself. All is good. :thumbsup:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown said:
Chew on this....In one of your past posts you said "Its not my job to inform sellers on the value of their stuff". I know you hate it but your the same as the gold buyers. You said it not me. Comprehend that. Im not posting on this topc again....you might want to do a little damage control.
I agree with both of you actually..... Yes, their practice IS disgusting at least, criminal at worst....BUT... it IS the responsibility of the seller to educate themselves, heck, even buyers..
I see people paying $50+/oz on epay for silver bars that I can buy today DIRECTLY from the mint that produces them for $41 each. I simply cannot believe that there can be such un-educated buyers out there.. And what about the "Gold Buffalo Nickel" ad we all see on TV? The first half of the commercial talks about a pure gold one minted in the past, then through tricky wording makes people think they can buy them for $9.99 each? You know it is either really dumb people or elderly that they are marketing to, and ripping them off, but the ad is carried on major networks, even on Fox?
It really comes down to the people... Do your research, then decide. If you get hosed, shame on you. And shame on people who will screw their mother out of a buck...
Heck, even I have instances where had I not "educated" myself, I could have been sorry. Remember when I was disgusted that one of my old coins was "defaced" and posted here? Find out it is a rare form of coin art.. Should I had sold it for melt, would the buyer be guilty of ripping me off? I personally don't think so... But I still would have liked to have seen their faces when you nailed them!

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jim4silver said:
Kind of an interesting dichotomy I have detected in this thread. Spend time in the Coin Roll Hunting forum (which many in this forum do) and see how many take joy and relish in the fact that the masses don't know the value of their silver coins and thus deposit them at the bank for FACE VALUE, so that said CRHers can be the ones to acquire those same coins for face value and make a huge profit, all because of some "elderly", "desperate", "sucker", (insert word of your choice) person does not know the value of the coins.

But, when same those same sellers take their silver coins to a buyer who offers them less than what those who proclaim price controls believe the coins are worth, said buyers are BAD and EVIL, even though they are paying the seller more than the seller would get if they deposited the coins at the bank.

Maybe if those on this board who want to protect the unknowing are so concerned, they could spread the word of silver coins' "coinflation" values far and wide. If none of these sellers sold for less than 80% of spot it would cause the buyers to have to raise their prices to keep the sellers coming to them. Then the uneducated sellers would not be "fleeced" so much because they would become learned. But then the CRHers would not reap all the face value silver anymore and that would be a problem for the CRHers, so we gotta keep it secret like many there say to do, even going crazy on the forum whenever a poster talks about doing a youtube video about CRHing- because it may educate the poor, unlearned masses too much. Instead it's better to vent at the buyers who, like the CRHers, are profiting off of sellers' lack of knowledge, albeit profiting LESS than those on this site who CRH and find silver at face value.

Seems a but hypocritical in my opinion.

Jim
You are a very wise person Jim.. Always love to read your posts.... Never any BS, always on point, and always GOOD points!

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diggummup said:
Well i'll give you a pat on the back and a touche to go with it. :laughing7: I like to call people out myself. I can't stand a con man or a thief.
I think these types of outfits SHOULD be illegal. With the price of precious metals nowadays, it should be against the law for ANY "legitimate" company or business to buy such metals at anything less than fair market value minus a certain amount points for expenses and overhead. I mean even 60-70% "could" be an acceptable price for those in desperate need of cash. A friggin pawn shop is paying way more than these shysters, and that's saying something. I hope a pack of ghetto dwellers jacks 'em up and takes all their ill gotten gain. :laughing7:
Ahhhh, yeah. regulations will fix it right up.... How about guys who think $500k for a car is a good deal? Maybe it shouldnt be worth more than what it was paid for back in 1920?
If you KNOW you have something of value, it is up to you to find out exactly what it is worth... 30 yrs ago, even 20, I am with you... But with the ease of access we have to any and all info out there, there is no excuse... I took a recent find of mine (14k Ring with 3/4+ carat stone) to a jeweler and he told me it was worth $400... The gold melt alone is $300... So if I sold it to him for $400, is he a crook? Maybe that is all it was worth to him?
Yeah, he ticked me off pretty badly, and I whined about it, but all I had to do was smirk at him and say "yeah, right" and walk out, never to return, and to inform any people I know what I think of his business...
The last thing we need is for the Goberment to start making rules as to what someone can or cannot pay for ANYTHING...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry to keep posting on this, but the more I read, the more I want to respond..
Hombre, you mentioned in your original post that you acted like a dummy when they told you what they would give you... Nodded in agreement or something.. Did you TRY to inform them that you knew what the stuff was worth, and see what they would then do? I have never paid what a car salesman has originally quoted me as the price of the car, but I imagine that scores of people have... "Dickering" is always the key to just about any sale, other than at markets or the local Wal Mart, and sadly we have seen this practice nearly go extinct.. I remember fondly the days of finding a bargain at the local Pawn shop... Not anymore.. they pay a fraction of what it is worth, then sell it for very close, if not exactly, what it is worth.. No bargains there anymore..
I would be interested to know if these folks always start off lowball, then work their way up.. Heck, I have had that happen on this board in the classifieds... Brand new Excal in box, never opened, and I got offers of $600 for it when they are $1300?? Would I have been a victim or an idiot if I had accepted?
Anyway, interesting post to say the least...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
lookindown said:
Chew on this....In one of your past posts you said "Its not my job to inform sellers on the value of their stuff". I know you hate it but your the same as the gold buyers. You said it not me. Comprehend that. Im not posting on this topc again....you might want to do a little damage control.

He doesn't need to do any "damage control". Like he said, it's apples and oranges bro. Someone sticking a price on something at a yard sale is different than someone taking a valuable commodity (gold and silver are commodities) to a bunch of scam artists running a traveling newspaper grift under the guise of being a reputable "gold and silver buyers" and getting torched for 10% of their value.

When someone is selling an item out of their garage, they have already made up their mind about the amount of money they want to receive out of the item. When people go to a "Treasure Hunters Roadshow" hotel buy, they walk in with no clue or idea of their item's worth. The scammers run an ad that presents them as "experts" in regards to these items - and they are. But instead of offering a fair price, they do the exact opposite.

I feel the same way as diggumup does in regards to this. If someone only WANTS a set amount on what they are selling, I give it to them. But if someone comes to me with a silver dollar and asks for my input as to its value, I'm not going to tell them it's worth its face value. If someone came to me asking me to give them an estimate on their goods and I tell them an amount that is 10% of the actual value, that makes me a liar.
I wouldn't go so far as to back any sort of regulatory legislation, but I think that people who deal in scrap gold/silver/rare coins should operate like a trade organization (the ANA tries to do this in regards to coins, but not all members abide) and try to keep what they offer to sellers within a set percentage across the board. In a "perfect world" I would be happy if it was in between 40%-60%. Those percentages leave plenty of room for a hefty profit after the items have been flipped or sent away for refining. I have had offers on stuff that amounted to 50% of spot and I declined them and POLITELY walked. I wasn't upset at the offer, because I know how the game works and I knew the guy was trying to make his share.

50% I can respect.

Less than 10%, not so much....

I realize I can't force these "entrepreneurs" to act in an ethical manner in regards to the prices they pay out on PM's or coins, but people who operate like the guys I messed with give the people who are actually on the up and up a bad name and it sucks for those folks.

It just boils down to greed and "gold fever" IMO. Over the last few years I have messed with the stuff, I have seen some crazy things. It's a cutthroat world out there, especially since the price spikes. People get a wild look in their eyes and a trembling voice. It's like they suffer from some sort of disease or something. It's the "Ecstasy of Gold" I suppose.....
diggummup said:
Well i'll give you a pat on the back and a touche to go with it. :laughing7: I like to call people out myself. I can't stand a con man or a thief.
I think these types of outfits SHOULD be illegal. With the price of precious metals nowadays, it should be against the law for ANY "legitimate" company or business to buy such metals at anything less than fair market value minus a certain amount points for expenses and overhead. I mean even 60-70% "could" be an acceptable price for those in desperate need of cash. A friggin pawn shop is paying way more than these shysters, and that's saying something. I hope a pack of ghetto dwellers jacks 'em up and takes all their ill gotten gain. :laughing7:
lookindown said:
Wow... Really you guys?? If you are at a garage sale, and some granny has a $5000 ring thrown in with a bunch of costume jewelry in a box, and has a price tag of $30 for all on it, you would feel okay with paying them that because "thats what they were asking for it"??
Even though it is tempting, I would never do that, in fact, if I were to find myself in that position, I would not be able to simply take the deal, or at least I hope I wouldnt (as it has never happened like that for me)... Heck, I even feared going to my local jeweler with my latest find and told my wife "with my luck, it will have been something he sold and knows the owner", to which I would return the ring (even though we really need the $$ now)... It just wouldnt set right with me...
Granted, I do not judge people who find and keep these great bargains at garage sales, again, it is really the sellers responsibility to KNOW the value of what they are selling... But you are saying it is different, it is not.. Except that for garage sale buyers, they are investing in gas and time.. The people you are saying are evil rent a room, pay employees, pay for ad's, etc... Much more overhead.. But when it comes to getting something for 1/10th it's actual value, there is no difference, at least in my world of black and white... I refuse to live in the "gray area" that everyone seems to feel so comfortable in..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread