RANDOM PICTURE THREAD - Post ANY of your favorite pictures here to share with Tnet...

Actually this is a Chinese festival. From Snopes.com:

"These Newspaper photographs are yet another examples of any images depicting large waves being grabbed and passed around as "real photographs" of the December 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. These pictures were purportedly taken in Thailand in December 2004, but they actually date from 2002 and depict not a tsunami, but a tidal bore (unusually high tides resulting in waters flowing upstream at high speeds) on the Qian Tang Jiang River, in Hangzhou, China.

Tidal bores occur at predictable times, and watching these events is a four-day-long government-sponsored tourist festival in China, hence there were plenty of people and photographers on hand to observe the one captured in the pictures above. Several news outlets in a variety of countries have been taken in by these photos and have run them as genuine pictures of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami."

Tsunami : snopes.com

Hey, Doubter! Thanks a bunch for clearing the details up - (all I had was the pics, from where I got 'em I don't know), and the date I stuffed them into my thumb drive!

"Tidal bores" is a new one on me! Wow!

I/we learn from those who bother to search the truth...!
Thanks again!
~Jim

Hey, Doubter! Thanks a bunch for clearing the details up - (all I had was the pics, from where I got 'em I don't know), and the date I stuffed them into my thumb drive!

"Tidal bores" is a new one on me! Wow!

I/we learn from those who bother to search the truth...!
Thanks again!
~Jim
No problem. When I saw the pictures it sparked a memory but I didn't have a chance to look for the story until this evening.

I just looked it up out of curiosity. There were no fatalities associated with the 2002 tidal bore but 20 or more were injured. Some had to be carried out for medical attention.

24734852_BG1.jpg

C.T.B.A. towers in Spain:

081114_03.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures I snapped off a video from many many moons ago. The young lady is 25 now, but back in her day, she was the champion sheep rider at the local rodeo. The second picture is kind of hard to see, but all four feet on that sheep are off the ground, and she's sticking to it like a tick.
MEG1.jpg
MEG2.jpg

150417_hz37s_rci-m-ship_8.jpg18584903146_9165e672af_z.jpghull1.jpgInside_hull_of_ship_under_construction_in_Moran_shipyard_-_1900.jpgUSS_Constitution_ready_for_launch.jpgWooden-Barge-Designs-4.jpg

Attachments

• 282-2a_001-copy-1024x695.jpg
    282-2a_001-copy-1024x695.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 62
  • careen-ship-hull.jpg
    careen-ship-hull.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 68
  • GettyImages-537164801-E.jpg
    GettyImages-537164801-E.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 58
haypress meadows.jpg
What I remember the most about this picture is the mosquitoes. They came at you in gray waves. Miserable even with lots of repellent. It was a late spring in the mountains, still lots of snow in July. This picture would date back to the mid '60's.

... :icon_salut:

Attachments

• thin_blue_line.jpg
    thin_blue_line.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 72
I notice I still have a whisp of hair on my head, so this picture dates back more than 25 - 30 years ago. Anyhow, a couple of us drew antelope tags that year, and we were in out in the eastern Oregon pucker brush, the week before season opened, scouting, figuring out a place we wanted to hunt. We had been on a road along a ridge, and we wanted to get down into the valley, so I followed a trace of a road down the hill. When making a sharp switch back I kind of cut the edge, and ran the frame of the truck up on that hidden rock. That's what handy man jacks are for, and I suggest never making a desert run without one.
stuck on rock001.jpg

Looks like your asking "where did that come from?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back