Randy Bradford was correct...

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Randy Bradford was correct, sort of. When I estimated (actually a cousin who is a skilled manual laborer estimated it) that during Noche Triste when Cortes tried to take 20 tons of loot and make a break in Tenochtitlan, 50 Tlaxcalan soldiers trotted away with 5 tons of loot. Randy did not think those men could carry over 140 pounds each of gold and jewels, and run and fight.

I did disagree with him, yet he was perhaps also correct. How is that possible? There was an estimated 20 tons of loot, and only an estimated 5 tons was spirited away by all of Cortes' soldiers. Why? Because the soldiers were not able to run and fight effectively due to the heavy burdens, just as Randy suggests.

If they had carried less, they might have survived better, but we don't know that for sure.

I have a mental image of a large string of soldiers, running, fighting for their lives as they tried to leave Tenochtitlan with their treasure, and behind them larger numbers of Aztec warriors, sort of eating them up as they went. And, some of them in front were protected by those following, so not all died.

If the distance to solid land had been greater, the Aztecs might have killed them all. We will never know.

So, yes, Cortes' soldiers were hampered by the weight, but not all were killed. So, two things that seem to be incompatible were perhaps both true. I hope this clarifies my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread