Rare 10th Regimental Continental Button Find!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea went back today to try my luck again but no good! Just not in the spot the other piece is for sure unless it's deeper.Anyway purdy much a bust.With day light so short and this being a long ride.3hrs on the road this I'm leaving to my dad as he said he'll keep checking for me. Here they are for what it's worth the pewter button with the # 10 on it is a first.

Attachments

• 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,764
  • 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,764
  • 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,771
  • 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,762
  • 000_0018.jpg
    000_0018.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,744
  • 000_0017.jpg
    000_0017.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,752
  • 000_0016.jpg
    000_0016.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,750
  • 000_0015.jpg
    000_0015.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,769
  • 000_0019.jpg
    000_0019.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,742
Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Strike II

You call that a bust! It's a great day! I haven't found an example of it yet, but there's a very good chance you've found an extremely rare Continental Army button!!!

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You have found one of the Continental Army buttons from the revolutionary War. Rarer than the U.S.A. button. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
You call that a bust! It's a great day! I haven't found an example of it yet, but there's a very good chance you've found an extremely rare Continental Army button!!!
NOT AGAIN I GIVE UP! :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I could not find a 10 like that in Troiani's book, but not to say it is not a Rev War button, maybe someone will find an example of what your button is.

I see you found both parts of the brass whatisit of BB's famous post! I have almost the identical two parts also.

Nice group of more old finds! A successful hunt despite not finding the other half of the spoon.....

Ah, another unusual not found too often find in your group, A Stock buckle! :thumbsup:

Don

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
I could not find a 10 like that in Troiani's book, but not to say it is not a Rev War button, maybe someone will find an example of what your button is.

I see you found both parts of the brass whatisit of BB's famous post! I have almost the identical two parts also.

Nice group of more old finds! A successful hunt despite not finding the other half of the spoon.....

Don
Thanks Don,very thankful buddy!

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Don, Troiani's book is not that complete. It is in Albert (R10) . This button is a rare one..

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Don, Troiani's book is not that complete. It is in Albert (R10) . This button is a major rarity.

Agreed it is the one in Albert's book, however, not sure it is a major rarity or not. :dontknow:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hopefully the scan will come though this time...

Some of these regimental buttons are so rare that many museums do not own them. Valley Frorge Museum for instance, only has examples of three other regimental examples but not yours, despite the 10th disbanding at Valley Forge. . Once again, congratulations on a stellar find!

Attachments

• rev war button.jpg
    rev war button.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,621

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find! Does it have the Clarke backmark like Albert's says some do? I think Any American button besides the USA ones are rare, just a matter of how rare. Would want to seal that one right away.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Great find! Does it have the Clarke backmark like Albert's says some do? I think Any American button besides the USA ones are rare, just a matter of how rare. Would want to seal that one right away.
I'll go look and take a pic. for you.I'm guessing with what I've read on your post before urethan.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Hopefully the scan will come though this time...

These regimental buttons are so rare that many museums do not own them.

That's not uncommon. Some of the Loyalist stuff we were finding about 10 years ago were the same idea, very few museums, and next to nothing in private collections. There are still very rare buttons to be found digging early sites!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
I'll go look and take a pic. for you.I'm guessing with what I've read on your post before urethan.

That's what I'd use. Just make sure it's clear and wipe it so the coat is very thin. Do a few trial runs on other buttons because there is no second chance.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:

I believe I have used Matte finish for less chance of getting it to appear shiny, just light coats, sure IP has more experience doing them, I have only done a few...

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:
timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:

I believe I have used Matte finish for less chance of getting it to appear shiny, just light coats, sure IP has more experience doing them, I have only done a few...

Don

I've probably done at least 30. The key is simply to wipe it after you paint it on. It takes pretty much all of it off the face, but still gets into the cracks where you want it to be. I do the same on sides. The back you can leave it a little thicker if you want, no big deal about the back. Your button is actually pretty slick looking so you should have a good result.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I went down in garage and found the can I use, it is CLEAR ACRYLIC SEALER Matte Finish. Picked up my spray can of it at a nationally known Craft Store.

Don

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It looks like you've got something else there fairly unusual; a great coat sized button with what seems to be a "gilt" backstamp. I've dug many large "dandys" but I don't recall finding a thin large one backmarked. Have you Don or patch?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread