Rare 10th Regimental Continental Button Find!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea went back today to try my luck again but no good! Just not in the spot the other piece is for sure unless it's deeper.Anyway purdy much a bust.With day light so short and this being a long ride.3hrs on the road this I'm leaving to my dad as he said he'll keep checking for me. Here they are for what it's worth the pewter button with the # 10 on it is a first.

Attachments

• 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,764
  • 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,764
  • 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,771
  • 000_0012.jpg
    000_0012.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,762
  • 000_0018.jpg
    000_0018.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,744
  • 000_0017.jpg
    000_0017.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,752
  • 000_0016.jpg
    000_0016.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,750
  • 000_0015.jpg
    000_0015.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,769
  • 000_0019.jpg
    000_0019.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,742
Upvote 0

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Re: Strike II

If it is from the 10th that button has quite a story to tell. Looks like that bunch were plucked right out of the movie "Stripes" :tongue3:

~ "The Continental Army" by Robert K. Wright, Jr., published by the Center of Military History, United States Army, Washington DC, 1983. (The book is part of the Army Lineage Series).
SHEPPARD'S ADDITIONAL CONTINENTAL REGIIMENT (10th North Carolina Regiment) p. 303: Authorized 17 April 1777 in the North Carolina State Troops as Sheppard's Regiment.
Organized 19 April- I July 1777 at KINSTON to consist of eight companies from the northeastern part of the state. Adopted 17 June 1777 into the Continental Army as Sheppard's Additional Continental Regiment and assigned to the Main Army. Disbanded I June 1778 at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.
Engagements: Philadelphia-Monmouth.
This is the story. Abraham Sheppard commanded a battalion in South Carolina. There was just one problem: he hated South Carolina. He hated the climate, he hated the mosquitos, he hated the people. There was not one good thing he could say about the state. So he started pleading with the North Carolina Legislature to please, please, please get him out of that state. He wanted to create another North Carolina regiment. At first, the Legislature said no. North Carolina already had 9 regiments; the state didn't need any more. Sheppard continued pleading, and then his pleading turned to promising. If North Carolina would let him create a tenth Regiment, he would recruit 300 men, march them North and help Washington pound the British. If the legislature would let him do that, the war would be over much sooner. That sounded like an excellent proposition to the North Carolina Legislature. Could he really recruit 300 men? Yes, he could, he told them; just please get him out of SC and give him a chance! So they did. The 10th North Carolina Regiment was authorized 17 April 1777 and organized 19 April-1 July 1777. Sheppard put out handbills all over the northeastern part of the state, promising a great bonus to any man who would enlist.The majority of respondents were sick, tattered, backcountry men. Sheppard should have known that to march these men anywhere would be asking them to commit suicide. However, he was free of South Carolina. He was back in civilization. So he reported that he had his men. Good, said Washington. Go to Richmond, Virginia and await further orders. In June 1777, Sheppard marched his men into Virginia, but stopped only a few miles from Halifax, where he parked his men. Then he returned to his home in Dobbs County, North Carolina--and the IOth did not advance. Washington became quite irritated when he did not see those 300 men of the 10th anywhere in sight. When Sheppard was discovered enjoying homelife in Dobbs County, he was ordered to immediately rejoin his men and march them on to Maryland--no ifs, ands, or buts. This was a war--not a Sunday picnic. Reluctantly, Sheppard joined his men, and they began the long march forward. Several problems immediately arose, however:
1. His men didn't have any shoes.
2. HIS men didn't have any breeches.
3. His men didn't have any food.
4. And the bonuses promised the men for joining the Army were put on hold. They weren't going to get the money until after they had fulfilled their mission of combat. All of these problems, plus the rotten weather, made the men of the IOth rather grumpy. The lack of clothing and food made them rather ill. Many of them came down with various ailments and many of them died while enroute. One reason for the slowness of the march was because the IOth had to stop every few miles to bury someone. Desertions were out of sight. By the time they reached Maryland, the desertion rate was one man for every mile. Washington really became angry when he discovered that those promised 300 men had not yet reached Valley Forge. Where were they, any way? Winter was setting in; he was planning a huge campaign in a few months. He needed those men! They were so slow in arriving at Valley Forge that he finally sent out an officer to hurry them on in. Sheppard's Additional Continental Regiment (the 10th North Carolina) did not arrive at Valley Forge until February! When they finally scraggled in, only a few of them remained. They were so late in arriving, they missed the smallpox innoculation. And so few of them remained, that Washington disbanded the 10th altogether. The survivors were disbursed among the other existing units, primarily the Ist North Carolina and the 2d North Carolina.

Rankin said the main problem with the 10th North Carolina Regiment was its inept leader, Abraham Sheppard. "While he was enthusiastic, he was a BIG PROCRASTINATOR. His records were so dishelved that no one could really tell who was assigned to his unit. His brother, Benjamin Sheppard, handled the money for the unit, and a lot of graph was going on at the top--something many of the enlistees paid for dearly with their lives. It wasn't that the IOth did not receive shoes or breeches or food. The 10th received more than the other 9. The graft at the top quickly consumed what the unit was actually given.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
YOOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOOoooooOOOOO, Pete the Colonial Man, :notworthy: :notworthy:

You have taken over the reigns as King of Colonial!! :notworthy: Your past three months of finds would have given me, as well as many others, massive heart attacks. :laughing9: Unbelievable, Pete, unbelievable!! :headbang:

I hope you make the banner on your spoon mold and now this killer Rev War button!

You are truly hunting a :notworthy: type site...a one of a kind, Pete!

Kyle
I thought you might have gone to bed buddy,but here you are and THANKS MUCH!!!! I might have to put my dad on hold on this baby as even when I thought I had a bad day.NOT SO BAD :thumbsup: Makes it even more enjoyable! :hello: :o :o :o

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BobinSouthVA said:
If it is from the 10th that button has quite a story to tell. Looks like that bunch were plucked right out of the movie "Stripes" :tongue3:

~ "The Continental Army" by Robert K. Wright, Jr., published by the Center of Military History, United States Army, Washington DC, 1983. (The book is part of the Army Lineage Series).
SHEPPARD'S ADDITIONAL CONTINENTAL REGIIMENT (10th North Carolina Regiment) p. 303: Authorized 17 April 1777 in the North Carolina State Troops as Sheppard's Regiment.
Organized 19 April- I July 1777 at KINSTON to consist of eight companies from the northeastern part of the state. Adopted 17 June 1777 into the Continental Army as Sheppard's Additional Continental Regiment and assigned to the Main Army. Disbanded I June 1778 at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.
Engagements: Philadelphia-Monmouth.
This is the story. Abraham Sheppard commanded a battalion in South Carolina. There was just one problem: he hated South Carolina. He hated the climate, he hated the mosquitos, he hated the people. There was not one good thing he could say about the state. So he started pleading with the North Carolina Legislature to please, please, please get him out of that state. He wanted to create another North Carolina regiment. At first, the Legislature said no. North Carolina already had 9 regiments; the state didn't need any more. Sheppard continued pleading, and then his pleading turned to promising. If North Carolina would let him create a tenth Regiment, he would recruit 300 men, march them North and help Washington pound the British. If the legislature would let him do that, the war would be over much sooner. That sounded like an excellent proposition to the North Carolina Legislature. Could he really recruit 300 men? Yes, he could, he told them; just please get him out of SC and give him a chance! So they did. The 10th North Carolina Regiment was authorized 17 April 1777 and organized 19 April-1 July 1777. Sheppard put out handbills all over the northeastern part of the state, promising a great bonus to any man who would enlist.The majority of respondents were sick, tattered, backcountry men. Sheppard should have known that to march these men anywhere would be asking them to commit suicide. However, he was free of South Carolina. He was back in civilization. So he reported that he had his men. Good, said Washington. Go to Richmond, Virginia and await further orders. In June 1777, Sheppard marched his men into Virginia, but stopped only a few miles from Halifax, where he parked his men. Then he returned to his home in Dobbs County, North Carolina--and the IOth did not advance. Washington became quite irritated when he did not see those 300 men of the 10th anywhere in sight. When Sheppard was discovered enjoying homelife in Dobbs County, he was ordered to immediately rejoin his men and march them on to Maryland--no ifs, ands, or buts. This was a war--not a Sunday picnic. Reluctantly, Sheppard joined his men, and they began the long march forward. Several problems immediately arose, however:
1. His men didn't have any shoes.
2. HIS men didn't have any breeches.
3. His men didn't have any food.
4. And the bonuses promised the men for joining the Army were put on hold. They weren't going to get the money until after they had fulfilled their mission of combat. All of these problems, plus the rotten weather, made the men of the IOth rather grumpy. The lack of clothing and food made them rather ill. Many of them came down with various ailments and many of them died while enroute. One reason for the slowness of the march was because the IOth had to stop every few miles to bury someone. Desertions were out of sight. By the time they reached Maryland, the desertion rate was one man for every mile. Washington really became angry when he discovered that those promised 300 men had not yet reached Valley Forge. Where were they, any way? Winter was setting in; he was planning a huge campaign in a few months. He needed those men! They were so slow in arriving at Valley Forge that he finally sent out an officer to hurry them on in. Sheppard's Additional Continental Regiment (the 10th North Carolina) did not arrive at Valley Forge until February! When they finally scraggled in, only a few of them remained. They were so late in arriving, they missed the smallpox innoculation. And so few of them remained, that Washington disbanded the 10th altogether. The survivors were disbursed among the other existing units, primarily the Ist North Carolina and the 2d North Carolina.

Rankin said the main problem with the 10th North Carolina Regiment was its inept leader, Abraham Sheppard. "While he was enthusiastic, he was a BIG PROCRASTINATOR. His records were so dishelved that no one could really tell who was assigned to his unit. His brother, Benjamin Sheppard, handled the money for the unit, and a lot of graph was going on at the top--something many of the enlistees paid for dearly with their lives. It wasn't that the IOth did not receive shoes or breeches or food. The 10th received more than the other 9. The graft at the top quickly consumed what the unit was actually given.
Man I love That history lesson! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Timekiller, the history Bob wrote here demonstrates again just how remarkable this find is. Despite this regiment being disbanded at valley Forge, at the time of Albert's research, the Valley Forge Museum did not have (and may still not have) an example of a tenth regiment button.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This site is starting to make since in one way then with the spurs and buckles and now buttons. :thumbsup: But a long ways from those places metioned. That's Cool!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great button. Did anyone say banner yet? ;D

Attachments

• 10_1.jpg
    10_1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,357
  • 10_2.jpg
    10_2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,366
  • 10_3.jpg
    10_3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,344

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have the most amazing spot to hunt ever!!!! I couldn't be more jealous. Congrats again on a BANNER worthy find. Not sure if it will help, but I am voting BANNER all the way on this one.

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Pete, I think you need to change the title of your post. You will get more views as a result.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KylePA said:
Pete, I think you need to change the title of your post. You will get more views as a result.
To maybe (dummy don't know!) :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: I will Buddy Thanks!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

thats not a "strike" thats a home run.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Rare N.C 10th Regiment Button Find!

Patch, great research there! I love the fact that "so many of these are in such poor condition with the backs corroded to know if they were similarly marked"!!! Well now we know the answer, there is a different backmark on the 10, and we can make a pretty sure bet that the 10 that was dug at Valley Forge after Albert published his book is NOT a Pa. or Mass,, but is from the short lived N.Carolina! Very exciting evening here on Tnet!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Patch, great research there! I love the fact that "so many of these are in such poor condition with the backs corroded to know if they were similarly marked"!!! Well now we know the answer, there is a different backmark on the 10, and we can make a pretty sure bet that the 10 that was dug at Valley Forge after Albert published his book is NOT a Pa. or Mass,, but is from the short lived N.Carolina! Very exciting evening here on Tnet!
How many has been found? :dontknow: Roughly!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:

Yep, backmark or not it being found where it was has to point at it being 10th NC.

Pete, you should write Don Troiani, I'm sure he'd like to know of it, and can probably answer any questions you have. [email protected]

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
johnnyi said:

Yep, backmark or not it being found where it was has to point at it being 10th NC.

Pete, you should write Don Troiani, I'm sure he'd like to know of it, and can probably answer any questions you have. [email protected]
Thanks Patch, Big help buddy! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I see what looks to me at least ARY If not mary But I could be wrong needs a little more cleaning! It apears to have a letter in front of the A but not sure it can be seen even after a little more cleaning!

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,291

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
I see what looks to me at least ARY If not mary But I could be wrong needs a little more cleaning! It apears to have a letter in front of the A but not sure it can be seen even after a little more cleaning!

It's probably the AR in Clarke you see. I wouldn't try to clean it, not much you can do with it anyway. The mark is just gone.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
timekiller said:

It's probably the AR in Clarke you see. I wouldn't try to clean it, not much you can do with it anyway. The mark is just gone.
Maybe so Patch it would make since as i was't able to see all the letters in the token either tell I saw another token to match it with. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, great find brother, keep up the great hunting. I vote banner also. Bryan in Goldsboro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread