Rare find for my location

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Finally braved the wet and cold weather and did a little digging. I found what appears to be a crystal arrowhead. Crystal or "clear rock" as most people here would call it is rather rare for this neck of the woods.

Upon close inspection, there are three lines running parallel to one another on this piece...these have some dirt and inclusions in them. There is a chance that this is a piece of really clear agatized palmwood and those lines are 'grain' in the wood. I will put a magnifying glass to it and see what I can figure out later. Anyhow it was a really nice find and a first for me. I have 'clear' points that are colored...red, topaz, and pink...mostly of agatized petrified wood, but no clear ones.

I also found about 90% of a pot about a foot away from the point. The odd thing about that is this is a mostly paleo site....very little pottery ever found there. Seems another component to this site has appeared... ;D ;D ;D

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• crystal 001.jpg
    crystal 001.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 8,468
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
That is an excellent find! Its my understanding that clear arrowheads ...crystal...were used only for ceremonial purposes....is that correct?
Wow...maybe you will pull a crystal skull up next!!! :)

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
That is beautiful! I never knew that there was such a thing as "clear" arrowheads! Man, I learn so much from this site.

vicki

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

I will photo the pot as soon as I get it assembled. Its in a dozen or more pieces. The thing was shallow, like 6" or less in what was cutover. Sand over red clay, not at all where I would have expected to find a nearly whole vessel. Its plain and looks like a cereal bowl...best I can ascertain, it is very old pottery...no designs at all and grog tempered. I think the entire rim is there with the base having suffered the most damage from a large root that grew underneath.

I have found that rushing pottery is destructive. When it comes out of the ground...its always wet...really wet this time of the year. Being wet it is very fragile. Let the pieces dry well and then you can brush off excess dirt without damaging the pottery. Then you can glue it back together easily.

Anyhow my first real trip of the new year was successful, and I plan on going back there and digging asap. Only down side is that is really rooty....small trees everywhere and nearly impossible to walk through. If things come to easy, we don't appreciate them though.

Atlantis

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get electrocuted for drooling too much on the keyboard? W :o W!! :o :o That's a rare find. :o :o
Gosh! I'm in a state of shock! Glad it was you and not me...I think I would had to be treated for heart failure. ;D
Handle that beauty with extreme caution.

;) RR

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
OUTSTANDING FINDS: I would be willing to bet money that point is made from agate- very very nice indeed. With that pottery- if it's still crumbling after drying (sometimes the junk around here remains brittle after drying) you can mix your favorite glue in paint thinner and soak the pottery in that for a bit, the glue will soak into the piece and when it dries it's MUCH more durable. Don't add too much glue to the thinner though, if you do one of two things will happen, the pottery will come out kind of shiny or polished looking or it will have a thin opaque film on it. CAN'T WAIT to see it!!!!!!!!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
vic910 said:
That is beautiful! I never knew that there was such a thing as "clear" arrowheads! Man, I learn so much from this site.

vicki

DITTO

I'd say, not only rare in your neck of the woods, but rare in any woods period....
Awesome looking arrow head, WTG!!!
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

UnknownBounty

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Are ye sure its not glass? I know for a fact natives started using glass to make their arrowheads. Obviously being much newer, but still an amazing find. I dream of find a blue glass arrowhead, mhmmm that would be simply awesome. Great find, old or new. Check out "making an arrowhead from a beerbottle" your sure to find some interesting stuff.

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Nope, not glass. The one nice thing about this site is that its COMPLETELY untouched by modern occupation. No glass, nails, broken plates, doorknobs etc. Another happy happenstance is that there is no indigenous rock...except for a little iron ore...so any chert or rock you find has been brought in by Indian hands, normally its chipped in some place too. Most of the artifacts I have found here are paleo or archaic....nothing new enough for a modern glass arrowhead, even if made my indian hands a few hundred years ago.

Thanks for the help on preserving the pottery Cannonman. I may well have to do that with this piece as its pretty brittle. Whats bad is to find them in the water in the lake....they disintegrate before your eyes and that just makes me cry...then I get mad.

I had found the tip off a crystal point many many years ago on a gas lease road close to where this point came from....It appeared to be a spearhead, but could have been much smaller.....so there is a chance I might find another one day, though odds are against it.

More rain and chance of sleet mid-week, so may not get to do much more looking for another week or so. :(

Atlantis

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Photo of my point without the fingers...lol

I am leaning toward you Cannonman...some type of agate......It really does look like clear or nearly so agatized palmwood...that would answer why the lines go through it.

Atlantis

Attachments

• stones 005.jpg
    stones 005.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 7,794
  • stones 002.jpg
    stones 002.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 7,937

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats the most gorgeous arrow head i have ever seen! awesome find!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great find. My eyes are not tuned to find arrowheads, although the Lenape were all over the place here. I just don't know how you do it. It is amazing.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Atlantis i had never seen or heard of one of them, fantastic find.

And DOUBLE GRATS for Marc choosing it for the banner ad it looks sweet up there.

T

treasurejack

Absolutely "AWESOME!" Few people ever get to see something like your arrowhead, let alone find one! Great find indeed! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! And thanks for sharing the moment and the pics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread