Rarely visit, thought I would post an update.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Halves been dismal with all this new competition so I switched to dimes for the most part.
Few nights ago I found my 1,000th silver dime for the year and that is with a 5 mo sabatical I took over the summer to go gold mining.
Monday I did a bag of cents and got 306 Wheaties- so many wheats I had high hopes of an Indian but NO. They were all 40's and 50's with one 1919 so no help for my books. Great thing about this is I can't wait for the other bags on the machine to get topped off to see if it was a 'bunch' of change dumped or just a penny jar.
As for silver totals I have managed to pass 100 z's for the year, probly could have matched last years total if I had stayed home and hunted.
Here's past totals to tell the decline:
2012 = 107 z's (so far)
2011 = 313
2010 = 706
2009 = 948
2008 = 920
2007 = 360 (started in July)

Happy Hunting all, Mark

Upvote 0

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well awesome! How did you do with gold mining?

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Happy holidays Mark!
Thanks Yinzi. Guess there are a few of the oldsters left around here huh. I was hunting hard and heavy before I left town first of May, then when I got back first of October a couple big pickups couldn't start back up so just hunting 3/4 pace now which is fine with ME.
This time of year is always interesting for serious hunters- holidays play havoc with deliveries.

Didn't do as well as hoped in the gold fields but had a good time and didn't miss any work here just silver. HH Mark

projJakarta

Jan 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The #'s in the past few years look really good. Just wonder...did you have to go through 30+ boxes a week like some of us do here to pull that much?

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am doing the same thing since halves are just horrible in my area.. Dimes have been good to me so you won't hear me complaining.. Overall you had a great total for the year and definitely added to the stack.. Keep on pushing through those boxes.. Thanks for sharing..

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Happy Holidays Mark! Hoping the other bags are as good as the Cents. next season will be easy pickings with truck loads of Gold.

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
The #'s in the past few years look really good. Just wonder...did you have to go through 30+ boxes a week like some of us do here to pull that much?
I was doing 42 boxes a week in '08 and '09 + whatever I could scalp on top of that. Good times. HH Mark

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mark, thanks for posting, that is very interesting, that is definetly a sharp decline, I my self am noticing a big drop off in my numbers here lately too. Good luck and Happy Holidays, Maverick.

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Happy Holidays Mark! Hoping the other bags are as good as the Cents. next season will be easy pickings with truck loads of Gold.
Thanks OM. Yea be nice to pull a bunch of slivers from the dimes and war nicks and buffs from the nickels. I quit getting the quarter bags due to too many tokens but if one has dropped I may have to try them too. And I'll be looking forward to them easy pickens next summer haha. HH Mark

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Thanks for sharing Mark!! Your hard work did pay off really well :thumbsup:
Those 2 big years I was trying for 1K oz's. It would have been a whole lot easier with more hunting $$$. From the time I started I always hunted with everything I had (still do), and having to pickup and dump $3K every day lead to burnout but since I was making $$$ I couldn't quit. I really should have hit it harder back then when I could- I would have more to supplement now but thas hindsight.
I started with $100 sortin pennies till payday when I ordered 2 boxes halves to cash my check, from there it turned into a snowball- $1K/day- in '07 we were pulling boxes off pallets that hadn't been touched for years. I remember having to borrow $$$ to help buy the next days boxes cause there were so many keepers- best box was 256 40% and 1 Ben, got a bag off a counter once with $460 and only 50some coins weren't silver. Them were the days. Wish I had been able to kept everything I found but then I wouldn't been able to found so many, was nice to be able to be choosy though.

I like the dimes now cause they are consistent and I can't believe they are still there- I really get a kick out of finding the lil buggars. I do still get a half dozen halves a week and sometimes find something good- but the dimes are up to about 40 a week now but its not like before where I "HAVE" to get them or people start yelling- they just don't need to order more.

Well I guess thas my walk down memory lane for awhile. Wish I had got into this long before I did and you newbs should have got in when I did but thats life, make the most of it. Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread