Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RE: Joined A Club

photo (1).JPG

I rarely post anymore, but I did "Join the Club" last night. Picked up one box of halves I have on order at a bank whereas this particular bank will only allow me to order 1 box per week. Have had this single box order for over 2 years now and go for a long period of time with many a skunks. Every now and then I hit a very small silver vein so that keeps me going. Plus, they allow me to buy all the hand wrapped rolls anytime I want them so I do score a fair amount of silver dimes, war nickels, and wheats.

I hit a 1877 seated. My first seated. She is in awful shape. But I do adore her. She is so worn I cannot make out a mint mark. And, she is as thin as she can be. Will post a pic asap. Also picked up 1-64 and 3-40% out of the same box. A bit more for the pile.

Just got in from a high school football game so I am pretty darn tired. School is in full swing.

apush

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would hate to see you quit posting apush. You were a regular on here when I first got on and while there is a certain amount of negativity on here your posts are always positive and I look forward to them. HH
Merc

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the club, Apush!! Congratulations on finding what most on this forum never will!! When I found my first Barber it was in absolutely horrible condition but it was my first so I was very proud of it! Doesn't matter what condition...a first is a first & should be celebrated!

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Nice find APUSH!

Your seated is 23 years older than my oldest US half find. Worn or not, I'm green with envy.

Awesome

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
. . . There was a time on this forum that folks celebrated others finds . . . I am assuming this is not the case anymore.

It still happens. I salute your truly amazing find.

The tragedy is that there is also a population of hunters present who measure everything about the hobby in terms of cash value. This sub-population seems to be intolerant of those of us who find fulfillment from anything they don't deem "valuable." They don't understand the concept of live and let live. They too often feel the need to belittle anything that doesn't fit their approach to the hobby.

It blows me away that anyone could overlook the awesome-ness of finding a 125yr old coin in circulation.

You deserve to feel genuine joy for finding it and you deserve to be able to share that joy with peers. Ignore the small minded and sip some wine in celebration.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
The tragedy is that there is also a population of hunters present who measure everything about the hobby in terms of cash value. This sub-population seems to be intolerant of those of us who find fulfillment from anything they don't deem "valuable." They don't understand the concept of live and let live. They too often feel the need to belittle anything that doesn't fit their approach to the hobby.

It blows me away that anyone could overlook the awesome-ness of finding a 125yr old coin in circulation.

I agree with you, madwest!

Great job apush!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Less than melt if it as thin as she says. Worth much more on the shelf in that plastic case!
Obviously you've never heard of Ebay. Take the true value of a coin, put on Epay, and double that.
Congrats apush on joining that exclusive club!

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Obviously you've never heard of Ebay. Take the true value of a coin, put on Epay, and double that.
Congrats apush on joining that exclusive club!

Not sure what you are tying to say. I was referring to the sentimental value of the coin to Apush and that the intrinsic and numismatic value is moot in this case.

And yes, I have heard of EBay.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what you are tying to say. I was referring to the sentimental value of the coin to Apush and that the intrinsic and numismatic value is moot in this case.

And yes, I have heard of EBay.
"Less than melt if it as thin as she says."
Sorry if I offended. I meant that typically, dated seated halves sell for more than melt on ebay.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Hi Apush! Great find and I'm sure your heart was pounding when you picked it out from the roll.
Barbers and Seated Liberty halves are so rare in the wild. It's what makes the hobby fun finding
a coin like that in a roll 125 years after it was minted. I wonder whose pockets this coin has
been in during it's life and what famous people may have touched it. If only it could talk. Once again,
you made a great find. "It's out there!"
stay well,
rileyboy and "Riley"...."Ruff...Ruff"

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I find wheat cents to be fulfilling, that find is SUPER!
As the rest have said, You joined a club that little will ever be close to joining,
Great find, and you deserve it!
Wicka :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread