Jan 20, 2007

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably can get several of these types of units and get extended fiber optic cable lengths to go as far as you need to go.

I am not an expert but do a bit of research ... I am sure its out there.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever think of using an RC rock crawler type car / truck? Single board cameras can be had for around $40 and up. add an LED flash light, and you're good to go.

Just finished up my cam on a painters pole. In the process of gathering time & materials to put together a RC cam. Hoping to use a Futaba plane radio with two servos for pan & tilt on the cam. Think I can get this together for under $80 in another trip or two to the swap meet. Saw a similar outfit a guy made for shooting candid video. He used a Swann wireless cam like the one I have, but I'm leaning towards a wired camera as the cable can be tied to mason twine for a safety in case my best Murphy shows up. ;D

The snake cameras are a good idea, but most only come less than 25' unless you want to shuck up a ton of cash.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been thinking of a Flip camera (we have one) in a plastic box with a couple of LED lights. Tape some ping pong balls on the corners so it will slide over projections. I could go with some old tent poles since they'll bend, or a length of high pressure hose (which is more flexible yet still stiff enough). I could run a line of paint on the camera side the length of the hose (that way I'd know which way it was pointing). Send it down, move it around a bit and bring it up to see what we've got. We are looking for a stack of bars. However, I've got a feeling that two hundred years of sand would have pretty much covered them up. The up side is that a camera would definitely determine whether a cave exists. And, it could be there has been enough water flow to move sand/debri further downstream (assuming there is a downstream). Again, thanks...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you wanted to take shots as you go, not a few static shots. Harbor freight has a camera & small BW monitor on sale. The reason I suggested the CCTV camera is you can see what's happening real time and if you use a laptop you can save the images as you go.

Depending on the weight of your camera and the length you need to go you might consider a roll of copper plumbing tubing. Take it to the site rolled up and straighten it as you insert it. It'd be stiff enough but could be bent to make it around a corner.

My past experience trying to use a camera on a rope even vertical is a real pain in the derrierre! :laughing7: you end up dropping it in or stuffing it down the hole 5 or 6 times & end up getting some really great shots of nothing ;D

Look at places like Harbor Freight or Wally world they have the little 5-6 LED flash lights in 3 packs cheap. With a little duct tape you can add or subtract lights as needed, and if you lose one no big deal.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Again, thanks... I'll check the Harbor Freight camera. Not sure how wet it will be as I've never been to the sit before (this is actually an oldtimer's gig who tapped me as a partner to help). I know the exact location, but have never been on site - in other words, going by description. Want to be as prepared as possible since it's bascially in the middle of nowhere... probably not a Harbor Freight within a 100 miles :)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check www.harborfreight.com . If you've got a week try fryselectronics.com & others. There's a ton of sites on the web that have single board cameras that weigh just ounces, most come with at least a 60' cable and are fair to good image quality for $39.99 up.

Another source to look at is QSee. They're more security but go to the clearance page & look at the QSOCB camera. I ordered several when the price dropped. They already have a water resistant housing with a mount that will adapt to most anything you want to mount it on. The camera runs off 12V & draws about 80 - 90 MW. They'll run off a motorcycle battery or gel cell nicely. For pitch black work, the LEDs are OK, add a couple 5LED pen lights and you're good to go. They also have the USB video cards so you could work off a laptop to save & review video & photos in the field. My outfit will fit in a small shoulder bag with the pole either strapped to the bag or carried.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks again... will follow up on your suggestions. Sound economical and doable. Hopefully, there will be something there to look at!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread