Talk to old timers

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
It sounds simple, yet is probably the most overlooked method of developing solid treasure leads. As a result of interviewing people I have been shown the location of a stone wall in a ravine in West Texas that predates the 1850's. Was told exactly where a prehistoric Clovis spearpoint was recovered after seeing it. Shown two rusty .32 caliber cowboy pistols dug up 30 years ago. Learned about a stagecoach robbery where the strong box was never recovered and learned where cast iron cannon balls dating from the late 1700's were dug up. I also know where Comanche Indians used to camp during the winter in the area, and where some meteorite strewn fields are located.

The people I talked to were in their 70's and 80's. These artifacts, relics and stories would have been lost forever in just a few more years. They would be ignored by children who care more about the newest video games than history. Relics and artifacts of no interest to this generation would end up discarded in the corner of attics and closets, forgotten, or godforbid sold in a garage sale by ignorant relations.

Yes. We ARE treasure hunters. While seeking treasure, sometimes we have the rare privilege to preserve history, memories and things held precious by their collectors. Holding such things in equal awe and appreciation as did the previous owner. Awe Heck ! Who am I foolin ? We're all just a greedy bunch of pigs, arn't we ? LOL

K

Kentucky Kache

The old timers are probably our best source for treasure leads. The thing is, they want to talk about the past. Just get them started and keep your ears open.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread