GoldbeltDan

Greenie
Feb 5, 2017
Villa Rica Georgia
Detector(s) used
Home made sluice box with goldhog mats
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everyone I'm new to the prospecting hobby. I have a stream that is close to my house. This stream in a heavy rain raises like 30 ft. It's in a deep ravine. Very few areas has bedrock coming out of the stream. It also has multiple sandbars on the inside and outside bends and one big one in the middle of the stream that raises up like 5 ft above the stream at normal water height. I have found a lot of course black sand some rounded quartz rocks lot of course sand as well. Found a lot of rocks with iron in them. How do I approach this stream to sluice in? Any help would be deeply appreciated!

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

OP
OP
G

GoldbeltDan

Greenie
Feb 5, 2017
Villa Rica Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry just went back and updated my profile. I'm from Villa Rica, Georgia USA

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
First question is, are you in a gold-bearing area??

While gold is still being found in N Georgia, it's not all over the place like in CA and AK.

As for where to set up a sluice, the best approach is to grab a pan and sample, sample, sample. If you spend a few days, or even a few hours sampling, you may be able to tell whether your area even has gold in it. Make sure of your local laws before setting up a sluice. Hopefully GA isn't as crazy as CA!!

OP
OP
G

GoldbeltDan

Greenie
Feb 5, 2017
Villa Rica Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the info. Yes there is gold but only found one piece of 200 mesh on the only sand bar I was able to get to. I just tested a few pans plus I was on an outside bend. The stream has vertical banks and about 15+ ft tall. All red dirt walls with no change in color or texture.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last time i talked to Ducky about a year ago he was living in different state. Kevin in Colorado has been to Villa Rica and mined there and maybe he will chime in. Do you have some pics of the creek you can share and some specific questions about them? Its hard to give specifics about a creek by just imagining whats there. You might look up the local mining history at the library or historical society.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup there's gold in Villa Rica. Check Out the little museum about the VR gold rush and chat people up to learn more. Ducky and I dug right at the edge of town on private land. Good times!

The gold we found was all quite small pieces but that may vary by location of course.

The spot you describe sounds very promising. Get to the inside bend and sample surface, down a foot or so, upstream end of gravel bar and highest point at mid-bar.

Welcome and good luck!!

Last edited:

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info. Yes there is gold but only found one piece of 200 mesh on the only sand bar I was able to get to. I just tested a few pans plus I was on an outside bend. The stream has vertical banks and about 15+ ft tall. All red dirt walls with no change in color or texture.

Try sampling more gravely material if you can find it.

OP
OP
G

GoldbeltDan

Greenie
Feb 5, 2017
Villa Rica Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will definitely do that. Just need better boots to cross the stream. Google earth shows some bedrock in the stream but with the big rain think that got all covered up. Looks like I'm going to be digging deepen the bars. Thanks for the help I will post a few pic of my next trip

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hip waders!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since gold can be elusive you should check into gems/minerals as a great addition to your warchest. No gold ..no problem...gems/minerals...none? well relics pay too, got a detector?? Diversity is the mother of success AND a whole lotta fun-John

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Guys ( and new member!). Im still alive. I've moved to North Carolina for work. The money is good, but the spare time is crap. As far as villa rica is concerned, just about every stream has gold in it. Its going to be best to talk to some local land owners and try to get you some permission. Where Kev and i prospected was 100% private and be ready to see a gun pointed at you if you do not have permission. Finding the land owner was the hardest part. I must have spoken to 15 different people before someone pointed me at the right guy. PM me some more details into what creek you are talking about. Post some pictures of your creek but dont give out names. If its the creek im thinking it is, you might be SOL.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread