REALing 'em in--TRIPLE Spanish and Military!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It was a heat wave this past weekend, with the heat index up in the 112 range--so naturally it was a perfect time to go dig for 12 hours in the sun in Louisiana! :laughing9: So I got up early to meet ole Shanguloid at a new permission of ours. Scouted some of the 3500 acre permission and found several new sites but mainly worked just one. The one we explored had a lot of potential, but we didn't realize that it would give us such a great day of digging! On the way there I almost hit an gator on the road. On the way to lunch, I noticed that someone else had hit one. :D

IMG_8029a.jpg

Here's the video of the hunt, a day spent dodging some rain showers and questioning our sanity since it was so hot.

Well we got out there and within no time Shangalangalang had found himself a half real! So nice to see that silver come out of the dirt!

204_1236.JPG

The coin was a little plow-bent, but it was a nice looking 1811.

204_1244.JPG

We dug some more stuff, and Shang found a silver war nickel. Funny story--the very first silver we dug while hunting together was in the fall of 2011 at a civil war site when I dug a war nickel. I think he was a bit jealous since he'd never dug a silver before--and I told him "when you finally dig one, it's gonna be OLD" Well...four weeks later he dug his first silver ever--a 1700s spanish! :D Nice to see you got your war nickel, buddy. Only 5 years too late haha.

IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2684.JPG

He also dug what looks like a musket nipple protector chain but it's too long. Any ideas appreciated (see finds photos at end of post). I dug Mary's head from a lead religious statuary, eyeballed some marbles, an dug some more modern junk. Obviously a mixed site like so many are down here. Then I got a nice signal and popped out what looked like a bit boss embedded in a hunk of dirt!

204_1250.JPG

I had Shang flip it over and was STOKED to see a Civil War bit boss. This one has the stippled background, no period after the "U" in "US." This is my first ever, in 25 years in the hobby. In a great stroke of luck, this one was not destroyed by the plow!

204_1255.JPG 204_1257.JPG

After getting over that craziness, we dug some wheat pennies and musketballs. Sigh. And a bunch of pack rivets, which sound exactly like half reales. Then all of a sudden I got yet another half real signal and I told Ole Shangy that I thought it was a pretty good half real signal. Well I was surprised when I broke open a clod and--it was!!

204_1260.JPG

Turned out to be a very worn 1818 half real. :icon_thumleft:

204_1266.JPG

After that excitement, I kept on digging and not 6 minutes later I hear Shangimus Maximus yelling that he's got ANOTHER one! This one turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL 1809 half real! Congrats, buddy!

204_1271.JPG

Throughout the day it rained off and on. Sometimes we were lucky dodging showers but at the end of the day we got drenched and the fields became horrible mud pits. I'll dig in heat and humidity, but add 10lbs of mud on each shoe, the difficulty of recovering targets when they stick to everything, and holes that fill up as fast as you can dig them, and you get a nightmare instead of a happy little hobby :laughing7: So when that happened...we left!

Here are the finds photos. Enjoy!

IMG_2661.JPG IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG HPIM5486.JPG 204_1256.JPG

HPIM5488.JPG HPIM5489.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG IMG_2680.JPG

Happy Hunting,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The CaneField Bandits

Upvote 35
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great hunt. To find all of those great items like that in one day would be the hunt of a lifetime for me.

Thanks for your kind words. Sometimes it pays off. What I haven't posted on here was two or three scouting missions this spring where we didn't find anything at all after 12 hours in the heat. Sometimes you almost hallucinate a find on days like that lol.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure don't miss the heat and humidity or the skeeters of the south.. Awesome finds.

I've gotten used to it--but it's still a pain in the @$$.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double B, you never cease to amaze. Congrats on so many really nice finds. That bit boss is very the stuff! WOW.

Best of luck sir, and be careful in the heat!

Thanks so much, Tom! Will do. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Spanish in one hunt is pretty incredible and the US harness rosette is killer. Heat was nuts last weekend but glad to see your efforts paid off.

Thanks so much for your reply. We've had a couple of three spanish silver days over the years, but we've never gotten four in one day. So whenever we get three, we generally work our butts off to try and break the record--and it never happens. It is nice to see today's totals carry us into "more spanish than seated" territory for the year so far.

Cheers,

Buck

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Killer finds! My vote for the best of the bunch is that US harness rosette :thumbsup:! Killer video and pictures too! I like the way you video tape your finds and kept us in the loop while you expose your find! Digging is super fun when you're pulling those type of oldies! WOW! :occasion14: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you guys,, that was a great hunt , for me, it was entertaining as well as educational. The Spanish Silvers and relics are magnificent.
Congratulations

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always great finds, always great stories. After reading one of your posts, I want to drop what I'm doing and go digging. I'm thinking that my boss wouldn't be in favor of this plan... but sometimes you just need to take a " sick day". Congratulations!!!

We call them Mental Health Days,, lol

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you're keeping it real. Excellent digs-that boss is a great find and three half reales ain't too shabby either!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BuckleBoy; Nice Finds. I believe that site Dates to the War of 1812 - Present. This is based on the coin dates and the Marbles you found. The clay marbles are from that Period ok. The two glass marbles I believe are 1860's roughly thus placing them in line with the US piece ok. If you look at the perimeter of the trees look for depressions in the ground. That could be a Privy ok. Well worth digging out. The troops had t go the bathroom somewhere. That's where they went ok. You can find all kinds of stuff in the holes so go for it. ALWAYS wear gloves when digging privies ok. Broken glass, human waste etc. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Killer finds! My vote for the best of the bunch is that US harness rosette :thumbsup:! Killer video and pictures too! I like the way you video tape your finds and kept us in the loop while you expose your find! Digging is super fun when you're pulling those type of oldies! WOW! :occasion14: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Thanks so much, Randy. I try to make the type of post that I'd enjoy reading myself. :)

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you're keeping it real. Excellent digs-that boss is a great find and three half reales ain't too shabby either!

Thanks, buddy! Keeping it real LOL Good one!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BuckleBoy; Nice Finds. I believe that site Dates to the War of 1812 - Present. This is based on the coin dates and the Marbles you found. The clay marbles are from that Period ok. The two glass marbles I believe are 1860's roughly thus placing them in line with the US piece ok. If you look at the perimeter of the trees look for depressions in the ground. That could be a Privy ok. Well worth digging out. The troops had t go the bathroom somewhere. That's where they went ok. You can find all kinds of stuff in the holes so go for it. ALWAYS wear gloves when digging privies ok. Broken glass, human waste etc. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Hi Barker,

I think that the glass marbles are much newer than 1860s. Like 1940-60. Porcelain marbles are probably late 1800s on up through 1920s, after porcelain became a thing with Chinese imports and the opening of the East to trade. (that's where our slang word "China" comes from, to describe white glazed plates, etc.) Clay marbles are earlier, but these aren't clay. Benningtons would be a bit earlier too, but we hardly ever find those for some reason.

Best Wishes,

Buck

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three Sweet Reale's and a Sweet bit boss, Awesome hunt!!
Is that a Good Luck token laying with those old silvers? You covered a wide time frame with those finds.
Congrats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fantastic relic and coin hunt! :notworthy:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Superb hunt sir!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, and the variety of finds is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you guys had a successful hunt, because in extreme heat like that, you can't just say "we didn't find much, but had a nice day in the great outdoors"...LOL

Congrats on the bit boss and the condition it's in. I only have ever found one and it's in perfect condition too. You guys seem to find a lot Spanish silver with early 1800s dates. The 1800s Spanish doesn't turn up as often in the Northeast. Of the 65 I have found, only one was from the 1800s - an 1808 one real.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three Sweet Reale's and a Sweet bit boss, Awesome hunt!!
Is that a Good Luck token laying with those old silvers? You covered a wide time frame with those finds.
Congrats!!

Good eye! That's an arcade token patented 1928. Cool item that was eyeballed while scouting. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread