Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I'm pretty tired so I'll just quickly go over the last few hunts. We had a rain day the other day so I went back to the pull tab infested site and went slow and very surprisingly pulled out a Franklin half, my first! It was very shallow. Shortly after I found the very nice 1937 quarter.

Here's the half before I knew what it was:
huntB-3.jpg

The trash/everything from that hunt:
huntA-4.jpg

The interesting stuff from that hunt:
huntE-2.jpg

huntF-1.jpg

Yesterday I checked out a new spot for a bit. I was pulling 60s clad consistently and kept at it thinking a silver might show itself, but it didn't happen. Did get a wheat but I probably won't go back.
Seven quarters from the hunt aren't in the pic.
huntG.jpg

After an hour there I moved on to a spot down the street. One of the usual spots. Found an area that is usually avoided in wet conditions; I hit this area and took advantage of the dry weather. That's where most of the wheats were and the two mercs.

huntH.jpg

huntI.jpg

huntJ.jpg

Then today me and Mirage headed out to our most recently discovered productive site. This was the first time I did not find silver here, although we spent only maybe 2 hrs here. I kept my streak alive of finding a Catholic medal thing on EVERY single hunt here.

huntC-3.jpg

huntD-2.jpg

OK thanks for checkin it all out, take care guys!

Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate in Ohio said:
ringfinder said:
Nice hunting Nate, I'm happy for you with your first Franklin. They are always fun to find. I have found 4 or 5 Walking Liberties this year, but not one Franklin.

HH, Ringfinder

Thanks Ringfinder. I don't think it's uncommon to go 4 or 5 walkers before striking a Franklin. At least from me and my dad's experiences.

muleskinner said:
Well done Nate! I used to live in Ohio in my younger days. As my memory serves me, ther was alt more older spots then Michigan has. Maybe sometime I'll go back and give it a try.

Yea, Ohio seems like a pretty nice state treasure-hunting wise. Not abundant in colonial activity/places to search, but still has some decent history and plenty of semi-old suburban schools and parks scattered around to poke around for some common silver and maybe a barber.

daytondigger said:
Nice finds, congrats!!! I found my first Franklin last year after 30 years of hunting. I went through several Walkers and Barbers before I ever dug a Franklin. I also found my first '64 Kennedy last year.
Wow 30 years is a long time before finding a silver coin minted as recent as 1948-1963 lol. Glad you finally did get it.
Thanks for the comments everybody.

I have to agree with you Nate, Ohio doesn't have a lot of colonial sites, but it makes up for that short fall, with tons of 1800's sites. We have so many fields that are flat which made for a lot of activity back in the early days as well as now. I always tell anyone who will listen, that if you live in Ohio and go elsewhere to hunt, the best finds are right here in Ohio. If you take 50 square miles around your area, you will have enough places to hunt for a lifetime.

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions