Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in 2005 I found a very rare free slave tag that made W & E Treasures top finds for that year. Now in 2010 I made another rare find only this time it's a coin. Dug this one a few weekends ago in a pounded colonial site. It just goes to show you can't dig it all.A friend told me it was pounded and that everybody and his brother had been in it. I told him I hadn't been there yet :laughing7: I was trying out my new omega 8000. I usually hunt with a T2 LTD and love it, but this little detector is going to make me some great finds. Shoot with this coin it sure is one heck of a way to break it in ;D. it's a 1795 flowing hair half dime, and the condition is amazing!Hope you enjoy the pics!

Laszlo

Attachments

• inground.jpg
    inground.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,691
  • dimeback.jpg
    dimeback.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,660
  • justdug.jpg
    justdug.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,709
  • inground.jpg
    inground.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,621
  • dimeback.jpg
    dimeback.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,643
  • justdug.jpg
    justdug.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,611
Upvote 7

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: was told this one won't make the banner

I was wondering what happened to the Brown Bess thread!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ticm said:
You guys both have good points, however to call guys no nothings and jerks will turn a lot of people off.

I never said anybody was a know-nothing. But the ones who called the finds fake because there was wood still on the gun are jerks, IMO. If members want to ask questions, then whatever. No laws against that in this land. But they weren't all questions that were posted on that thread. :wink:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

My father and uncle found a flintlock rifle deep in the muck of a swamp in Sackets Harbor NY back in the fifties......wood and all. Interestingly, Dr. Sam Guthrie, the guy who invented an improved priming powder, and percussion caps, making flintlocks obslolete, lived about three miles from that old swamp.

......."He "Guthrie" studied at College of Physicians and Surgeons (now Columbia University). In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Guthrie was a successful businessman, best known in his time for manufacturing chloric ether, vinegar, and priming powder for firearms which made flintlock muskets obsolete......." I drive by the beautiful old brick Guthrie mansion often.

Everyone knows the half dime is real. A quick Google search of pics confirms it. We all know that you did not grab it from a collection, bury it and take bogus pics. Its not the first flowing silver seen here. It's not too good to be true. It's just weird.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Have I experienced the same thing !!!! Yes!!!!! The pic in my avatar was found just after i found and joined this Great Sight!!!! Was i upset that I did not get banner!!!!!MAYBE!!!!( OK YES) Does it stop me from posting my finds and Enjoying this Great Site!!! H@ll No I even became a Charter member!!! And have never regretted the decision!!!! I guess i will have to hunt more to find something better to get up on the Banner!!!! it will be tough but I will do IT!!! Chug!!!!!

Feb 18, 2010, 06:25:18 PM date registered

Found in april!!!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been on here 5 years and not made the banner yet. You win some and lose some. Great site for networking new areas . I move alot and I always meet people via email before I get to a new area. I have had lots of good hunts with Tnet members. I have seen what I thought should be banner finds not make it up there and I have seen some not so amazing things(too me) on the banner. I think it is a voting system for the most part. By the way that is a banner coin for sure!! :coffee2:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Re: Banner or not I didnt post this find here just to make the banner

Like any election it has a lot to do with popularity. Its a good find and if you had more posts you might have had a better chance. Why that is a rule I don't know. That being said you don't get any prize for the banner. The real prize is finding it.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Find and welcome to Tnet :icon_thumright:

Great stuff in SC

I just came back from there and there are great things to find :wink:

For me the joy is in the hunt.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful coin for sure and please keep sharing your finds. Do not worry or think about Banner. If an item makes it thats cool but I would not hunt hoping to find a banner item. Some of my best finds to me may mean nothing to others. Hunt for the love of it and if you make a banner that's cool too. I understand why they do not allow new members banners. It would be too easy to pull something out of a cabinet for my first post and make banner. I hunted hard for a while before I made banner and like any find it was unexpected. I am sure I found many that would qualify before I found t-net. :thumbsup:
Regardless of all the above..................your coin is spectacular!!!!

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher

Welcome to TNet and what a beautiful coin you found. I've posted for years and never made banner. I just like sharing my discoveries with the members of tnet. They sure do encourage me to get out and discover treasures that are around us if we just put forth the effort. Looking forward to your future posts and discoveries!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great awesome find!
was browsing old posts, says 86,000 1794s minted, nothing on 1795s?
Did you get a grading or valuation on this tremendous find? :hello2:

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
steelheadwill said:
Great awesome find!
No not yet,

a guy from NY saw it and emailed me with a tremendous high dollar figure offer on it but I turned him down. He told me his offer stands and that any time I wanted to give up being the caretaker of this magnificent coin then he'd love to take on that responsibility :laughing7: Thanks for the kind words everybody. I see a coin from the early 1800's in bad shape made the banner, so where's the justice in a decision making process like that?? :dontknow:

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
PEles said:
steelheadwill said:
Great awesome find!
No not yet,

a guy from NY saw it and emailed me with a tremendous high dollar figure offer on it but I turned him down. He told me his offer stands and that any time I wanted to give up being the caretaker of this magnificent coin then he'd love to take on that responsibility :laughing7: Thanks for the kind words everybody. I see a coin from the early 1800's in bad shape made the banner, so where's the justice in a decision making process like that?? :dontknow:
This is an awesome coin and deserves a banner! Old silver like this is a rare find indeed.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent coin I vote Banner for sure and the value is astonishing anywhere from 1800 to 5000 maybe even more since the rarity. I would have it graded and insured for twice that amount. But myself I find anything rare I will have to send it off to auction and pay off some bills and maybe retire early depends on the sale price HH :icon_thumright:

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Wow
thats fantastic!! what a beautiful coin

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanx for bumping this thread...hadn't seen it, until now.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDing since '83.
That is one of the best finds I have seen or even heard about.
Superb!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that coin is the "CATS MEOW" so much beauty in one place, hard to take in, bet you had to keep looking to make sure it was there and for real !!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread