image-3718159102.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
i dont think it pushes enuf water to go under. i was gonna use the flap to try to even out the water flow. should the flap your talking about be at the head of the flare or at the end where the rubber mat is? my flap is pretty stiff.

Stanislaus Gold

Apr 20, 2013
Mother Load Gold Belt ,California
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20 Gold Tracker
Garret GTA 1000
fisher quick silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of using holes in your spray bar, Just cut a straight line down the row of holes , I don't have a picture, I put mine on the table saw and cut a thin line all the way thru one side of the pipe ,right down the old row of holes. HARD TO EXPLAIN but it works great for '"even" water flow

Stanislaus Gold

Apr 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20 Gold Tracker
Garret GTA 1000
fisher quick silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use only 1 cut line, but you can add two , to allow more water and less "plugs" in the spray bar holes from stray dirt and sand ,

be sure NOT to completely cut from end to end on the pipe, just cut a groove out of it,

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
I see you put a damping mat in the header, but it looks like it's "backwards." The water should flow under the mat, not over it and the mat should be able to lay flat on the bottom. Yours is curled because the flair is angled.

if i run the water under the flap do i feed my material under the mat too or do i feed it after the mat?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this is basically a "cleanup" sluice I don't think it matters very much as long as you are feeding onto the slickplate.

Stanislaus Gold

Apr 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20 Gold Tracker
Garret GTA 1000
fisher quick silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah for a sample box its cool,
for a clean up box,you would want to loose the riffles, and run expanded metal over carpet ,and black ribbed mat for a couple foot

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
not sure of temenolgy but im gonna do my clean up in a pan. of if i get the money one of those blue wheels.

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
i know i had my sluice box set up right on the stream because when i cleaned out the sluice to pan i had 90% black sand and i didnt have to sluff off very much blonde sand.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure of temenolgy but im gonna do my clean up in a pan. of if i get the money one of those blue wheels.

He's talking about the purpose of the sluice. Running riffles is generally considered to be for concentrating dug material. Running a sluice with just ribbed mat or small expanded over carpet is for "cleaning up" the concentrates you get from running riffles (which give you super-cons to finally pan out).

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some, but it's mainly to get rid of the light stuff. Getting rid of the black sand is what the finishing pan is for.

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
He's talking about the purpose of the sluice. Running riffles is generally considered to be for concentrating dug material. Running a sluice with just ribbed mat or small expanded over carpet is for "cleaning up" the concentrates you get from running riffles (which give you super-cons to finally pan out).

thats what i thought... my sluice has all of that in it. riffles, expanded metal and green carpet. is there another way to set it up?

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pick up a power sluice header box that's designed for this situation. They're like $70. It'll save you a lot of time and frustration. I'm using the same 2200gph pump and the same size sluice (Jobe 45) and it works great.

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
well here is a vid of it working... plz watch and tell me what you think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread