Recommendations on good starter MD w/ resonable price

ghost_rider

Apr 20, 2008
Hey there...... I am trying to get started in MD and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for a good end MD at a resonable price. Buying used isn't out of the question, any place that sells really good used ones?? As strange it may seem we have a MD shop in our flea market here but he is a little high on prices.

I kind of think I would be good at the hobby since I don't have an MD and have an extensive collection of relic found without one, the old fashioned way of just diggin' a hole to see what down there!!! Just got to know the right spots through research!!! I'm getting tired of the old fashioned way!!!

Any help or ideas would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Since you don't give a price range it's hard to give you a suggestion. I'll say as much as this.
The Ace 250 is inexpensive. Cost around $212. Keep you eye on the for sale section at this forum. Have you tried to chew your flea market deal down on a price? If you haven't would hurt to do you homework and show him some web sites that offer some of his machines for less. My two cents......Pepper

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Yep, the ACE250 would be my first choice, also check out the Fisher F2. Seems to be the 2 choices for beginners, but both seem to be capable machines. I know the ACE is a decent detector and easy to use.

Greg

OP
OP
G

ghost_rider

Apr 20, 2008
Hey gang,

Thanks for the recommendations... that is around the price range I am looking for or maybe a little higher but no more than $400 and I don't really want to go that high with the first.

Would you recommend trying to find one on Ebay?? I notice they sell a lot of different MD's there!! Some are resonable priced with others aren't.

Thanks again,

ghost_rider

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost....I will let you in on a little secret...The ace 250 has most if not all of the bells and whistles that a $400 machine has. Some say it is a "starter" unit but I can tell you..I finish a lot of hunts with it. $212 seems to be the going price for a new one but you can find them for a little cheaper used. Whatever one you choose..just remember...you have to practice with it and learn it. GL and Happy hunting.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
If I was willing to spend upwards of $400, I'd buy a used Minelab Sovereign. It puts to shame most of the Fishers and definetly the Ace 250.
IMHO

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I keep telling people this, but here it is one more time...

Go to amazon.com. Look at the "Explorer Metal Detector". It will cost you $59.95. It has better depth than an Ace 150, 250, 300, 400, 550, 750, etc. It does not have the ID meter, but it doesn't need it. It has outhunted and gone deeper than any Ace metal detector I have ever seen. Mine gets 7" air and 4" in the ground in HORRIBLE soil, and 5" in moderate soil. My (EX) Ace 250 could NOT detect old pennies at 3" in the same bad ground, and it DID NOT detect the 1944 wheatie nor the silver pendant that the cheap $59 detector found with ease!

Go check out my review at Amazon.com. There is another one there too, with similar praise of the detector.. It's circuitry is suspiciously similar to a Tesoro Compadre, isn't that a bit odd?

EasyMoney

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
EasyMoney said:
I keep telling people this, but here it is one more time...

Go to amazon.com. Look at the "Explorer Metal Detector". It will cost you $59.95. It has better depth than an Ace 150, 250, 300, 400, 550, 750, etc. It does not have the ID meter, but it doesn't need it. It has outhunted and gone deeper than any Ace metal detector I have ever seen. Mine gets 7" air and 4" in the ground in HORRIBLE soil, and 5" in moderate soil. My (EX) Ace 250 could NOT detect old pennies at 3" in the same bad ground, and it DID NOT detect the 1944 wheatie nor the silver pendant that the cheap $59 detector found with ease!

Go check out my review at Amazon.com. There is another one there too, with similar praise of the detector.. It's circuitry is suspiciously similar to a Tesoro Compadre, isn't that a bit odd?

EasyMoney

Funny you should mention the Compadre. I just bought both my twin boys one, both new. $280 for both with a lifetime warrenty. I'm very impressed with their operation and they don't weigh diddly.

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
I think your best bet is to go with Kellyco for your 1st detector.I wouldnt buy a second hander untill you know about what your buying.You could easily purchase a used machine from ebay but you have nothing to compare it to.You need to know if something works correctly before you learn how to use it.That said i recently purchased the Ace 250 from them and im very happy.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
ghost_rider,

Everyone is trying to give you good advise. Choosing a metal detector is a very personal process. What one person likes doesn't mean the next person will also like. Some people want depth,some want whistles and bells etc. Do your research so you know what each detector offers then get what appeals to YOU. Joe

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Joe is about as right as right can get.

The best way to chose a metal detector is to get your hands on it first and use it. Then compare it to another one that you have already tried. DO NOT take people's opinions as gospel, mine included.

In my suggestions, I was basically trying to say the same thing that Joe did, but with an added bit of information comparing an Ace to other detectors that cost less, because so many people recommend an Ace without even realizing that it is p - - s poor in bad soil or for hunting salt/high iron beaches, etc. My findings are that an Ace is little more than a poorly designed metal detector with several toys, with a few flukes encountered using it in bad soil that drives some people to anger, once they realize it's limitations and shortcomings.

The Chinese detector I wrote about is a near clone to the Compadre, but the Compadre DOES have a bit more power and depth, regardless of the soil it's tested in, highly mineralized, or not. The Compadre is also better made as to it's coil construction, search rod, and electronics integrity, etc. Personally, I have not encountered any other brands besides Tesoro and Fisher that hold up as well under extreme or normal conditions, or could handle abuse as well as these two. In other words, they are better made and break down less than all other brands that I've used or repaired. Try before you buy though, and that will make life much happier for you in the long run. And when you test them don't rely on clay pots or test gardens to make you decisions, use real life situations instead.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't personally recommend machines with target id for a beginner. One will learn much more about the nuances and quirks of a machine and the hobby by starting out with a beep and dig machine and digging everything including trash. Currently the leaders in this area (at lower prices) are the Tesoro Compadre and Silver umax. Both are light, simple to operate and have a lifetime warranty. Make excellent backup or second detectors if and when one decides to move up, as well. My two bits.
HH
Bill

Mrs. Shanegalang

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I am a beginner and have only been hunting 2 times. I inherited my husband's Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 when he bought himself a Tesoro and I am trying to learn it. I found an old lock with it at the LBH 2008 this past weekend. Having a pretty good time with it. I guess its a good starter detector, lol. It was my husband's second detector and he had good success with it. Good luck on finding the perfect one for you. I am still trying to figure out if this is a good one for me, lol. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread