sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I'm a few days late on this post. I actually started a new job this Monday and it's been go go go all week. However, this last Sunday I wanted to head out to a spot I've been eyeballing for a nice day of detecting. It was nice to get out before starting my now new job. Won't have the time like I used to when I was self-employed.

Anyways, the place I went is an old gold mine that's closed down now, but it is on BLM land...there's a little dirt road drive (about 5 miles) then the road is gated off and there's a 1.5 mile walk to reach the mine area! Not too bad!

So I reach the mine area finally and there's a freakin house on the property!!! Middle of nowhere and of course, some house out on the hill right in the old mine property. Someone must have bought it and uses it as a vacation spot. Who knows...I still decided to poke around. Didn't see any NO-trespassing signs and nobody was home....(again, house was up on a hill and I stayed out of their area...I'm not that guy). Right away I start finding iron. Everywhere! Some old photos I've found showed quite the complex of buildings and equipment. Almost everything is gone now, except the stuff in the ground ;)

So before reaching the mine property, I detected some other spots off the dirt road....so my time was limited at the mine, but I at least wanted to get there and see if it would be worth returning to. Spent about 45 minutes exploring. Found some cool iron relics, and then finally a good coin signal. Nice mid tone. I pop out a nickel sized target and immediately pray for a Buffalo or older....YEP! I see the stars appearing on the obverse! Got my first V-Nick! 1906. Very happy!! Had to spray lots of water on it and give it the rub-down, but I could see some good details. Once I got the date, I decided I would dremmel-buff it when I got home because of the good condition. I think it came out pretty sweet!!

The other target that really caught my eye is this nugget of metal...I was in a gold producing area and at a gold mine....so I was obviously keeping my eyes open for the yellow stuff! Pulled what looked and felt just like a gold nugget out of the ground....however, it was tarnished. So I kinda doubted it . Once I got home, I put the buffer to it and it shined right up like a piece of gold....but still not quite convinced. Does anyone know what else this could be. Doesn't look like brass...definitely not copper. Who knows. Interesting find regardless.

Sorry for the long @ss thread!!! I always like to explain in good detail haha. Good luck to everyone and hope y'all get some hunting time this weekend! Hopefully LONG weekend ;) take care!

Sgt

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504228826.742574.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504228848.481057.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504228874.361879.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504228901.977125.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504228919.831599.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504228952.916453.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504229001.956708.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504229031.412916.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504229049.713700.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504229090.809067.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504229106.910506.jpg

Thanks for looking and again, sorry for the lengthy read!! [emoji106]🏻

Upvote 14

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a spot I could spend the entire day and night hunting. Nice score on the old V Nickel. Looks great. Not a gold guy so I have no clue what your nugget thingy is. Hopefully you will get another opportunity to hit that sight again for several hours. Looks like it could pay off rather well.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a spot I could spend the entire day and night hunting. Nice score on the old V Nickel. Looks great. Not a gold guy so I have no clue what your nugget thingy is. Hopefully you will get another opportunity to hit that sight again for several hours. Looks like it could pay off rather well.:icon_thumright:

Oh you're right about that!!! I really want to get back up there and possibly even camp overnight on the area to get some good swing time. The nickel was found 2 inches down right off the dirt road...I didn't even get up into the mining complex area, OR down by the river. I guarantee the place is littered with goodies. I read there was a small schoolhouse on site, living quarters, a mill, wood shop etc...lots of areas for folks to lose there old silver coins...or maybe even gold coins hahahaha. I can dream right? Thanks for the response [emoji106]🏻 HH

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the story. Congrats on your first V nickel.
If you're going to be hunting that mine often, you might want to get a gold testing kit.

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I liked the story. Congrats on your first V nickel.
If you're going to be hunting that mine often, you might want to get a gold testing kit.

Thank you! And yes I need to get some better testing kits

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story and photos thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SWEEET FINDS.

Thank you! Gonna head back to that spot this weekend and spend a lil more time poking around! Crossing my fingers ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread