Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my buddy has a property with a foundation on it near the road. The result of being next to the road is that it was used for a dumping pit for years after. Looking on a map from 1850s shows a foundation that, according to the map, should be on the opposite side of the road. Turns out they messed up when they took that survey back in the 1850's. I decided to do a quick run to see if its worth picking the place up to detect. The only good signal I got out of the place after a quick hour or so scan was this epic new york state militia button! Guess I will be spending lots of time picking up iron and trash for awhile... I'm not sure about a date range for this button, can anyone help me out? The back is marked waterbury scovill mfg co. From what I can find it could be civil war, or possible even from the indian war? At one point the next town over from me was the furthest you could travel west, theres a site called the forbidden crossing. Apparently you were likely killed by natives if you crossed this trail or line.
20170831_202232_resized_1.jpg 20170831_213615_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20170720_152905.jpg
    20170720_152905.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 20170720_152837.jpg
    20170720_152837.jpg
    950.8 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 25
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could a mod please delete the half dollar pics, uploaded wrong photos

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Nice button! I think what the TheCannonballGuy mentions in the thread below would apply to the backmark of yours as well. Specifically that with a ring of dots and no other rings included it would date to 1880 and later. I'd briefly thought that there was a ring around the outside of the words on yours, but it looks like it may just be a portion of the back is exposed from being slightly indented, does that seem right?
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/340107-scovill-mfg-co-waterbury-button.html

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fine button! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button! I think what the TheCannonballGuy mentions in the thread below would apply to the backmark of yours as well. Specifically that with a ring of dots and no other rings included it would date to 1880 and later. I'd briefly thought that there was a ring around the outside of the words on yours, but it looks like it may just be a portion of the back is exposed from being slightly indented, does that seem right?
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/340107-scovill-mfg-co-waterbury-button.html

The ring goes all the way around, there's just dirt in part or it still, doesn't appear to be from being bent and pulling out from the other piece. Also letter seems different, but this is a cuff button so who knows

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE BUTTON AND COIN....

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So I did more research and I think your very close, I'm thinking it's post civil war, probably 1880s. But I have a name for the property and I'm going to try and track down civil war enlistment data.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my buddy has a property with a foundation on it near the road. The result of being next to the road is that it was used for a dumping pit for years after. Looking on a map from 1850s shows a foundation that, according to the map, should be on the opposite side of the road. Turns out they messed up when they took that survey back in the 1850's. I decided to do a quick run to see if its worth picking the place up to detect. The only good signal I got out of the place after a quick hour or so scan was this epic new york state militia button! Guess I will be spending lots of time picking up iron and trash for awhile... I'm not sure about a date range for this button, can anyone help me out? The back is marked waterbury scovill mfg co. From what I can find it could be civil war, or possible even from the indian war? At one point the next town over from me was the furthest you could travel west, theres a site called the forbidden crossing. Apparently you were likely killed by natives if you crossed this trail or line.
View attachment 1489385 View attachment 1489386

Is it a 'one piece ' button?
If it's a "Staff" Civil War type NY button , it held up well.

I'm no button 'Finder' , so not much knowledge on types but I guess it it's all one piece ' it's Pre-CW' but???
Could be a repo of an earlier style???
GL
I wish button's like that would pop-up more often in these parts.
Nice no-matter how Old it is , IMO.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a 'one piece ' button?
If it's a "Staff" Civil War type NY button , it held up well.

I'm no button 'Finder' , so not much knowledge on types but I guess it it's all one piece ' it's Pre-CW' but???
Could be a repo of an earlier style???
GL
I wish button's like that would pop-up more often in these parts.
Nice no-matter how Old it is , IMO.

Is two piece, only examples I'm finding are civil war or Indian wars, which went till 1920ish. But here in ny Im thinking this was 1860 to 1900.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! That's an awesome button !! WTG! Congrats and HH

RVRoamer73