RECORD BROKEN! 20th SPANISH of the Year!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Had a great little hunt. Let me tell y'all about it. Started out in the early morning doing some scouting on one of the many properties where we have permission. We got an IH, a Barber Dime, and some other newer relics all of which I gave to the property owner. The stuff we were finding was too new to bother with for now. But he was happy to have the items, and we were happy to find them.

Next stop was a new spot we'd found which unfortunately has a property line going right down the middle of it. We think we may already have permission for the other side, if it's who we think owns it, but not sure--so we'll have to wait until we can sort it out and make certain we can detect.

Immediately Shane dug a Large Cent. Things were starting out great! It was a little muddy until the dew evaporated in the midday heat. We were in for a slow morning though, with only a couple musketballs and flat buttons dug.

Shane got a bone button, and (believe it or not!) a billiard ball. :D

Then it started to get HOT. The heat index pushed 108 as we made it into afternoon. Finally I scored a decent, wobbly signal, took out one deep scoop and saw the flash of SILVER! I was praying for spanish, to make our goal of 20 for the year--and it was! A Carolus IIII half real (180?). Not long after that, there was a pop-up storm and the rain came pouring down, so we headed home.

Here's the short video and photos:

Here's Shane's LC. It is an 1833 I believe. Nice LC coming from the waterlogged soil here. Congrats to Shane!

100_5496.JPG 100_5497.JPG

Other good finds for Shane included a Colonial era decorative cufflink and a bone button:

100_5498.JPG 100_5500.JPG

Shane and my finds. His is the photo with the billiard ball LOL. The finial at the top left we believe to be colonial era.

100_5505.JPG 100_5508.JPG HPIM4290.JPG

My shoe buckle chape and a piece of pewter with the manufacturer's name stamped in. "? ? N & SMITH"

HPIM4294.JPG HPIM4295.JPG HPIM4296.JPG

And Spanish Silver #20 for 2013: an 180? Carolus IIII Half Real :)

HPIM4292.JPG HPIM4293.JPG

Best Wishes and HH,

Cane Bandits.jpg

The Canefield Bandits 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 15

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck , those are some awesome finds and congratulations on # 20 ! :thumbsup: I see someone lost there marbles , any good ones in there ?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, keep it rollin', 24-25 sounds quite realistic now.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG on #20 Buck! :hello2: Great to see the total so early still in the year, the possible total that you could achieve is going to be up there for sure.

A billiard ball is a really a different sort of find, what's it made from Clay, Ivory?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck , those are some awesome finds and congratulations on # 20 ! :thumbsup: I see someone lost there marbles , any good ones in there ?

Nah. All mid 20th c. swirls. We were actually much more excited about the billiard ball. I know some of the old ones can be very collectible. It was kind of beat up by the plow though.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on #20 Buck! :hello2: Great to see the total so early still in the year, the possible total that you could achieve is going to be up there for sure.

A billiard ball is a really a different sort of find, what's it made from Clay, Ivory?

My guess is either ivory, bakelite, or celluloid.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800s? Doesn't count! :laughing7:

Hahaha, according to the PA Boys maybe. :laughing7: We count it all toward the spanish total. All the way up through the odd piece of 1830s Mex Republic coinage. BUT anything later than 1812 is technically not "Colonial" for Louisiana. :D

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! :hello2: Congrats on #20 - it will be interesting to see your total at the end of December.... undoubtedly it will be in the 30s at this rate!

Was the billard ball on the surface or did it appear in a hole while chasing a target?

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on #20. Keep up the good work

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do get better as we hunt. That heat would slow me down for sure. You have some good spots to hunt there, enjoyed the post.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, I would be happy with 1!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
You keep digging those Spanish silver coins and you'll have to change the name to the Cane Field Bandit lol Congrats buddy! If I can get out of this funk I know we can get 25 or maybe even 30 for the year! Still always much enjoyment hunting even in the Lousy Anna humidity and heat. Thanks for posting my pictures since I'm so darn lazy ;)

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Number 20 Spanish was a forgone conclusion in my mind and WTG guys. This was an above average # 0f marbles wasn't it? Shane says he's lazy but he has a long way down to go to equal Dman-LOl. WTG, Q.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Silver Reale ! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! :hello2: Congrats on #20 - it will be interesting to see your total at the end of December.... undoubtedly it will be in the 30s at this rate!

Was the billard ball on the surface or did it appear in a hole while chasing a target?

Surface find. :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, I would be happy with 1!

You will dig one, my friend. Just a matter of time. Should certainly be possible in your area.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep digging those Spanish silver coins and you'll have to change the name to the Cane Field Bandit lol Congrats buddy! If I can get out of this funk I know we can get 25 or maybe even 30 for the year! Still always much enjoyment hunting even in the Lousy Anna humidity and heat. Thanks for posting my pictures since I'm so darn lazy ;)

Man I don't mind posting at all. Just takes a bit of time. Hey I need some help here on the spanish. Totals looking pretty lopsided at your 5 vs. my 15 LOL--but part of it has to be the learning curve on that F75 of yours. After having one for almost a year now, I think there is an optimum sweep speed and coverage in terms of overlapping sweeps.

Yeah, it is fun to hunt down here, but wears me out. Wish I could do all day, but some days I just cant. BUT if we'd stayed around about 2 more hours it'd have started to get cool again LOL. Damned rain. :D

We gotta get you a spanish and get me some grits, so we can both find something new to complain about. :laughing7:
But any day digging is better than a day spent doing anything else. :D

Your Friend,

Buck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread