OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse

JahMan2003

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
Re: Recovered pewter mug to drink from?

I know that I would drink freely from such a recovered tankard!! A few brain cels is a small price to pay for 'tasting' history!!!!

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho

I would probably have it tested first. Depending on the age of the tankard that is. Around the 1700's, sometimes too much lead would be used when making the pewter. And so a small amount of poison would be released every time you use it.

But chances are that you'd be alright depending on whether or not you used any industrial chemicals to clean said tankard before use.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

very old pewter often had large amounts of lead in it and today we know lead is very very bad for you --drinking or out of a gun barrel -- (so personally I wouldn't do it )--but hey its your body --- Ivan

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Go ahead and drink out of your pewter mug.Its not going to kill you right away.Most likely you will die from the water you get from the city you live in.I dont even drink the water from my city.After hearing about large amounts of pcb's,arsenic,rocket fuel,drugs not removed in the treatment process.Now my city is replaceing all the old iron water pipes.I turned on the faucet today and a bunch of brown water came out.Just another reason not to drink the water.There are other things you can drink that are better for you:)

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dont do it -
agree with the lead issue and who knows what else
Brady

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

It wouldn't be something I would do on a long term basis, but I would certainly drink out it for a celebration or other notable reason. Like JahMan said, tasting history.

*Off Topic*
That is one heck of a dive boat GoldfishHunter - judging by your avatar ;D

Jay

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

agree,
A couple toasts in the mug wont kill ya -