RED FLAG today...

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm working the wet this morning at Venice beach. Fair amount of folks enjoying the day.
I notice out of the corner of my eye that four guys, early 20's set up a spot near the wet and dry line.
I also notice them eyeballing me and obviously talking about me. Bingo! the red flag is raised double time. No I am not paranoid!

I keep them in sight until I worked slightly past them. I then saw one of them leave the group and walked at an intersecting angle in a meandering way. Hmm! says I. He walks up ahead of me and pretends that he's looking for something in the wet sand with his foot. He doesn't find anything and returns to his friends. I was very obviously "cased".

They continued to watch me till I was quite a distance away. I then turned around and walked in their general direction.

I honestly believe that if the beach was not busy, they would have made an attempt.

Well it would have been shiite their pants time for them, big time.

Sunglasses can keep you hidden in a crowd.

Refuse to be a vicitm!

Upvote 0

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sharp eye,good for you.we gotta have a 1000 eyes,on the ground,our surroundings,and whos watching you

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is just unreal all this crap going on... its truly making us be super aware of our surroundings and is a good idea NOT to hunt alone... but, unfortunately some of us have no choice.. this is very upsetting news but I am glad you were not attacked. : (

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can just Imagine their Conversation.

"Hey That guy has a Detector Maybe He can Find it for you" :wink:

"yea, But I don't want to ask, It's too Embarrasing. And I can't afford to Pay him
to look" ???

"Go over to the Spot where you lost it & Look around,
Maybe he'll walk over & ask you what your looking for." :P

"He Ignored Me" :(

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Not these actors.

My friends some times think I'm nuts because I'm always in condition yellow.

If you don't know what condition yellow is, don't ask, you wouldn't understand.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
NIce Eye ball Ralph I refuse to be a victim as well . The guy just didn't have kiyoons to do anything..They don't mess with me I just give them the look and THEY move on , you no the crazy look people ARE SCARED OF CRAZY.., Guzz1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3 said:
Not these actors.

My friends some times think I'm nuts because I'm always in condition yellow.

If you don't know what condition yellow is, don't ask, you wouldn't understand.

:D That's OK

I Still look at everyone I see with Rose Colored Glasses,
And my Personal Faith in the good in Human Nature
is still in Tact :wink:

& hopefully I will never Understand :D

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Amen on condiTion yellow. me to. guzz1

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well maybe they were up to no good it's hard to say, but let me say this I have had people throw or plant coins in front of me many times to see if I would find them. Maybe that's what they were up to.

Just last week there was a older guy and girl on the beach I could tell out of the corner of my eye they were watching me and as I got closer they got more interested and were whispering something. I sort of new what was up, as I got near them of course I got a good single and surprise there was a nickle and a dime. As I scooped it up again out of the corner of my eye I catch the woman smile at the guy like wow he found it, so as I removed it from my basket I took the two coin's and threw it on their blanket and said I think you lost these and they started laughing.

But it is always good to be aware of your surroundings and even to have someone along with you especially during spring break.....

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Folks,

Next time you have a plant in front of you do this. I did and it's a hoot. Pull the coin out of your scoop and start talking out loud that you finally found that rare variant of the 1998 Double Die Quarter or whatever denomination that it ends up being. Then walk off kind of past the person that dropped it repeating over and over again, 10 THOUSAND DOLLAR COIN!!

I actually had one guy ask for his coin back!

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
PMP!

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Glad you got out ok. I always believe in instinct if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Many people try to ignore the situation and hope nothing happens. It is kinda like the sheep in the corral hoping the wolf will not select them. I believe in eye contact and letting them know I know they are there. It does help that I am 6'1 and 240 lbs and look like I can take care of myself, as an ex cop I can tell you most people don't want to deal with someone who looks as if they are prepared to defend themselves or to even remember what they look like. You should always be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are at. Good luck and be safe on all your hunts. Ted

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know condition yellow well. I wear no shirt to make it very clear I'm 5"11, 205 and work out every night for one hour and very willing to whip their a$$. MD'ing when your young and still have abs has it's advantages. Then again my glock never hurts either. :D

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My personal friend is Billy Ruger the first.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its called " situational awareness" -- bodyguards and military persons are taught to watch what is occuring around them --- being alert to whats happening around you keeps you from being set up and attacked easily --be it in the jungles of nam or the streets of the USA -- it could have been curious kids --it could have been they were locked on to you --scoping you out as a victim -- either way you were aware that they were "focused" on you --thats step #1 in the don't be a victim hand book --a large sharp digger like a gator tool finely honed to a sharp edge well do wonders at close range in the hands of a people who know how to use a blade and are willing to do so. -- of couse a gun even better --( crooks use their guts for tie down cords) -- Ivan

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I hunt the beach alone at night a bunch in the summer. I have never felt like I was in danger or have never had any one bother me.
All people are not bad but I do keep a Eye out and usually carry a weapon just in case.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk,
Just think, that could've just been me & my friends there this past week. I met Snooksion down by Sharky's Pier on Venice, and I did almost the same thing you described... except I waited until he got closer to try to talk to him. Then I asked him if he comes on here and he said his screen name... I just chuckled and told him that I knew who he was (his s/n anyway).
I'm only 25, so you might have assumed the same with me... but I probably would've just wanted to see if you were from T-Net.
I even had my detector in my bag that day and got it out after talking to Snooksion, 'cause it got me in the mood to detect! :D
... found a handful of items that afternoon too! :wink:

Bran <><

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER, I KNOW WHAT YOU MENT ABOUT RED FLAG. WHEN I MD IM LOOKING FROM THE CORNER OF MY EYE AND IF SOMEONE DOES TRY SOMTHING, EMS IS GOING TO WOUNDER HOW THE HE++ THAT MD GOT UP THER BUT :o.. BE CAREFULL OUT THERE. AS I TELL MY CHILDREN, YES , THERES BOOGY MEN AND WOMAN OUT THERE. (BAD PEOPLE) :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread