๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, yesterday killed me as you can probly tell from my post. I had to get out and get some goods today I had that "itch". I worked last night and was pacing by the clock come 730 cause I wanted to get out badly, I told myself I was gonna keep it close to home today, no need to drive a million miles. I knocked 3 doors today and got to dig two of em, the only no I got was because they were renters, oh well. I managed silver #30, a 1952 roosie! and 8 wheats. Plus what I think is the bottom part of a flag pole, It was deep and is either brass or copper. I also have the small thing that I think may be a percussion cap?, the white stuff inside can pass for old gun powder cant it? plus I managed about 2.50 in clad and the cool old lipstick case. And my first Tootsie Car of the Year So polar opposites of yesterday when no one would give me permission, and today I barely had to give my pitch and I was in!! Boy the ups and down roller coaster of this hobby! Anyway I got these finds total from both sites: SAM_1181.JPG
]
anyone care to chime in on the "pole bottom" or "percussion cap" SAM_1183.JPG SAM_1185.JPG SAM_1187.JPG SAM_1189.JPG

thanks for looking and HH!!

Last edited:
Upvote 9

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "percussion cap" looks to me like one end of an old fuse from a house fuse box. The material inside those old fuses would appear white also.....and it's about the right size of one. Probably a 20 or 30 amp fuse.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Glad your "permission to dig" luck turned around.
Sometimes it is just so weird how things go, you begin to wonder if it's something in the air they are all breathing!
GL HH!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought your "cap" was the end of an old fuse too, like goldkey said. Can you show a pic of the solid end of it? Glad you had a better day. I hated to see you about to give the hobby up for a bit when the baby is gonna force you to cut back, lol. Better get in all you can while you can:tongue3:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought your "cap" was the end of an old fuse too, like goldkey said. Can you show a pic of the solid end of it? Glad you had a better day. I hated to see you about to give the hobby up for a bit when the baby is gonna force you to cut back, lol. Better get in all you can while you can:tongue3:
oh there was no giving up, just a hiatus.......I was mad to the point where I was taking the fun out the hobby, almost as if it was work. I was surprised at the amounts of no's I was getting. Ive never been refused so much. Today I was calm cool and collected and said to myself who cares if they say no. I think yesterday was my time of the month lmao I was a grumpy s.o.b.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "percussion cap" looks to me like one end of an old fuse from a house fuse box. The material inside those old fuses would appear white also.....and it's about the right size of one. Probably a 20 or 30 amp fuse.
Ehh it's indented at the end, similar to what a fuse would be, your probly right. Thanks!!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to put this pic in the thread, Garrett's thank you letter and patch they sent for me submitting a story

Attachments

• 20140617_195852.jpg
    20140617_195852.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I forgot to put this pic in the thread, Garrett's thank you letter and patch they sent for me submitting a story

I got one of those too for submitting a story about a find. Would have really been cool to have won a new detector, wouldn't it?

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one of those too for submitting a story about a find. Would have really been cool to have won a new detector, wouldn't it?

Ummm, yeah lol

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Up, down, sideways. This hobby can and will make you start wondering where your marbles have gone to some days. Frustration, elation, anger, happy, and on and on.

I actually took about a 20 year hiatus because I DID turn this hobby into a 3rd job. I'd find and sell to get whatever beanies I could get to put food on our table. Wasn't what I started the hobby to do and finally, just quit.

Even now that I'm only providing for myself, if I feel like I'm starting to fall into the old habit. That I HAVE to go, I just stop and wait until I really "WANT" to go. Only then am I happy hunting. That's when I'm the most excited about each hole. Not like they're a chore that has to be done.

That's also why I haven't been posting lately. Not going out until it's something I'm really looking forward to doing. Not, to punch a clock.

You sound like you have it all under pretty good control. You know yesterday was just one day and today was another. Right back in the saddle so to speak and you did very well indeed! Congrats!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love your Tootsie car. Still looking for my first one.

I'm glad your luck turned around in the permission department. I try to be a realist when it comes to asking for permission to dig holes in someone's yard and potentially remove items of value. I mean they don't know me from Adam. So really it boils down to the person you're asking. Some people are very private and having a stranger on their property would make them uncomfortable. Others are friendly, trusting, and outgoing. These are the people you spend 45 minutes talking with AFTER they've given you permission. It has taken me a long time to get up the nerve to knock on doors. But I realize that if I don't try I don't have a potentially good place to hunt. I have not been in this hobby as long as many of you veterans so have not experienced years of getting a yes or no reply to asking for permission. I started doing something recently that has actually helped me with my confidence when door knocking. When I receive permission and finish hunting the property I knock on the door and gift the owner with a pint of homemade honey as a thank you gift. Seeing their smile makes me feel really good whether or not I've found anything good. And when I knock on the door of a new potential property I remember those smiles and it makes me more comfortable if that makes sense.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love your Tootsie car. Still looking for my first one.

I'm glad your luck turned around in the permission department. I try to be a realist when it comes to asking for permission to dig holes in someone's yard and potentially remove items of value. I mean they don't know me from Adam. So really it boils down to the person you're asking. Some people are very private and having a stranger on their property would make them uncomfortable. Others are friendly, trusting, and outgoing. These are the people you spend 45 minutes talking with AFTER they've given you permission. It has taken me a long time to get up the nerve to knock on doors. But I realize that if I don't try I don't have a potentially good place to hunt. I have not been in this hobby as long as many of you veterans so have not experienced years of getting a yes or no reply to asking for permission. I started doing something recently that has actually helped me with my confidence when door knocking. When I receive permission and finish hunting the property I knock on the door and gift the owner with a pint of homemade honey as a thank you gift. Seeing their smile makes me feel really good whether or not I've found anything good. And when I knock on the door of a new potential property I remember those smiles and it makes me more comfortable if that makes sense.

Giving back to the world makes it a better place for everyone, Beez. Those in this hobby simply for monetary gain will most likely be the ones that don't backfill, be disrespectful and potentially ruin the chances for those coming after. You have a good attitude.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Up, down, sideways. This hobby can and will make you start wondering where your marbles have gone to some days. Frustration, elation, anger, happy, and on and on.

I actually took about a 20 year hiatus because I DID turn this hobby into a 3rd job. I'd find and sell to get whatever beanies I could get to put food on our table. Wasn't what I started the hobby to do and finally, just quit.

Even now that I'm only providing for myself, if I feel like I'm starting to fall into the old habit. That I HAVE to go, I just stop and wait until I really "WANT" to go. Only then am I happy hunting. That's when I'm the most excited about each hole. Not like they're a chore that has to be done.

That's also why I haven't been posting lately. Not going out until it's something I'm really looking forward to doing. Not, to punch a clock.

You sound like you have it all under pretty good control. You know yesterday was just one day and today was another. Right back in the saddle so to speak and you did very well indeed! Congrats!

I was wondering what happened to your posts. I hope you get the urge to get back out there,
although the heat is miserable lately

its wierd how tell myself that im not gonna go today, but for me this hobby provides a tremendous amount of relaxation
Although my prior post about multiple denials was making me think otherwise

Bottom line is:
I love the relaxation this hobby gives me, but when I start to get stressed doing it,
perhaps it's time to give the ole hands and atpro a small break

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. Glad to see that you did well yesterday. GL&HH.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is:
I love the relaxation this hobby gives me, but when I start to get stressed doing it,
perhaps it's time to give the ole hands and atpro a small break

Yeah, we all hunt for different reasons. Mine was simply to add some wonderful old coins to my collection without buying them. But, back then, I discovered that I could actually sell some things and add to an already tiny income. It fast became PART of the budget! If I wasn't finding, we didn't eat so well. I got to a point where I just said enough and lived on whatever salary I was paid. Funny, no one starved and they all grew up and left. :dontknow:

That frustration you speak of is sneaky. It'll weigh on you until it takes over and becomes a driving force. If you're getting what you got out for, then, keep going. If not, take a break until you want to go. Otherwise, it becomes just one more chore.

When we're out there AND finding some good stuff, we can easily dismiss the not so fun things that it takes to get them. But, when the finds/permissions/etc aren't coming, everything gets balled up.

Keep doing what works for you and don't fret what might not be working for me. LOL

I'll be back out there soon. :)

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, we all hunt for different reasons. Mine was simply to add some wonderful old coins to my collection without buying them. But, back then, I discovered that I could actually sell some things and add to an already tiny income. It fast became PART of the budget! If I wasn't finding, we didn't eat so well. I got to a point where I just said enough and lived on whatever salary I was paid. Funny, no one starved and they all grew up and left. :dontknow:

That frustration you speak of is sneaky. It'll weigh on you until it takes over and becomes a driving force. If you're getting what you got out for, then, keep going. If not, take a break until you want to go. Otherwise, it becomes just one more chore.

When we're out there AND finding some good stuff, we can easily dismiss the not so fun things that it takes to get them. But, when the finds/permissions/etc aren't coming, everything gets balled up.

Keep doing what works for you and don't fret what might not be working for me. LOL

I'll be back out there soon. :)

very well said, that's all I got, very well said!:thumbsup:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the "pole end" is an ox knob ( the safety tips put on an ox's horn to prevent being gored ) or even the ferrules on the end of furniture legs like these

veduzyru.jpg

Hard to say. Was this a farmhouse or a yard in a town?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread