Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stefen just for heck of it can you define the word redneck for me ??? aa

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone who has been digging ditches in the red Georgia clay, and uses his bare red clay stained hand to wipe the sweat off the back of his neck, transferring the red color to his neck.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the term Redneck was first used in the Civil War to describe some of the Confederate Artillery Uniforms that were Grey with a Red Collar (See Below)

Mike

Attachments

• redtait.jpg
    redtait.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 257

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
redneck
poor white southern sharecroppers were the origional "red necks" --their necks got red from being in the sun all day while plowing their feilds (since they had no slaves they had to farm for the big landowners giving a large part of what they grew as payment to be allowed to stay on the land --often they were little better off than than the slaves)--

cracker
crackers were southern ga / northern florida cowboys fond of using whips to herd their cows -- also "slang" used for slave driving overseers short for "whip crackers"

the "n" word
it traces its roots back to slave selling blocks -- people from the niger valley were well known to be hard working and non combative and intelligent people -- thus a "idea" worker to a slave buyer -- the slave merchants used the term to mean that thier slaves were "first rate" slaves --trying to get the best price for them --- the "n" word is a corruption of the area ----"niger" valley--- black americans take it being said by whites to blacks as --"you' ld make a good slave" --thus its bad meaning to them -- used between black to black --it means your a smart -peaceful hard working person -- which was its "original" meaning

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Why there might even be some out in Cal. right now beating down some flames.

Attachments

• redneck firefighter.jpg
    redneck firefighter.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 306

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
redneck
poor white southern sharecroppers were the origional "red necks" --their necks got red from being in the sun all day while plowing their feilds (since they had no slaves they had to farm for the big landowners giving a large part of what they grew as payment to be allowed to stay on the land --often they were little better off than than the slaves)--

cracker
crackers were southern ga / northern florida cowboys fond of using whips to herd their cows -- also "slang" used for slave driving overseers short for "whip crackers"

the "n" word
it traces its roots back to slave selling blocks -- people from the niger valley were well known to be hard working and non combative and intelligent people -- thus a "idea" worker to a slave buyer -- the slave merchants used the term to mean that thier slaves were "first rate" slaves --trying to get the best price for them --- the "n" word is a corruption of the area ----"niger" valley--- black americans take it being said by whites to blacks as --"you' ld make a good slave" --thus its bad meaning to them -- used between black to black --it means your a smart -peaceful hard working person -- which was its "original" meaning

The cracker definition is correct, but please read above (reply #3) for where Redneck came from.

Your origin of the "N" word is correct, but its' use is not. Your usage explanation reads WAAAAAY TOOO much into it. When a white uses it, it is just a derogatory term referring to slaves who were considered less than human. when blacks use it to each other, they have taken ownership of the word, and when they use it to each other, it is an endearment.

Mike

OP
OP
S

stefen

aa battery said:
Stefen just for heck of it can you define the word redneck for me ??? aa

AA Battery,

Stoney, Ivan and Gollum have provided excellant definitions of the word 'Redneck'.

The term 'Okie', hick, Buckeye and other terms can also be grouped with redneck.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys here in town they call me a Wop (Italian) with out papers. :D aa

OP
OP
S

stefen

A Redneck passed away and left his entire estate to his beloved widow
but she can't touch it 'til she's 14.

How do you know when you're staying
in a Redneck hotel ?
When you call the front desk and say,
I gotta leak in my sink, and the
clerk replies, Go ahead.

Did you hear that they have raised the minimum
drinking age for Rednecks to 32 ?
It seems they want to keep alcohol
out of the high schools.

Two reasons why it's so hard to solve a
Redneck murder . .
1) The DNA is all the same
2) There's no dental records

Who invented the toothbrush ?
A Redneck.
(If it had been invented by anyone else,
it would have been called a teeth brush.)

A State Trooper pulls over a pickup on Highway 16
and says to the driver, "Got any I.D. ?" . .
and the driver replies "Bout wut ?"

Did you hear about the $3 million Redneck Lottery ? . .
The winner gets $3.00 a year for a million years.

A new Redneck law was just recently passed .
When a couple gets divorced, they are STILL cousins.

Did you hear that the Redneck governor's
mansion burned down ?
"Yep. Prit'near took out the whole trailer park. The library was a total loss too. Both books went poof . . . up in flames and the governor hadn't even finished coloring one of them."

Attachments

• Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
S

stefen

Redneck cooler

Attachments

• REDNECK COOLER (288 x 284).jpg
    REDNECK COOLER (288 x 284).jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 244

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Funny. I grew up in southern Louisiana, moved all over the world, and now live in NC. There are so many definitions for this term, so some people take it personally while others take it in stride. I never was one for political correctness. But here are a few negative characteristics I've heard over the years followed by the postive...

- wife beater
- drunk
- hellraiser
- illiterate
- womanizer
- racist toward blacks
- inbred with family

Jeff Foxworthy helped popularize the more positive definitions...

- good ole boy
- drives a 4x4
- rural, country lifestyle
- farm hand
- hunter and fisherman
- loves black-eyed peas, corn on the cob
- country music lover
- hillbilly
- has a hound dog

add yer own definitions...

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Oak Island and Uwharrie, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Tesoro PIranha, Minelab MusketeerX, Garrett 350
My Granddad was a Farmer and Bootlegger had a family of 4 girls and 5 sons. Three of the sons went into farming(less the bootlegging), doing their own farming with the help of family members not using any illegal immigrants. The other two went into agriculture related jobs. By one of the definitions I guess that makes my family rednecks. They still work the land and are fathers and grand fathers now. There is not a one of them that doesn't go to church every Sunday and Wednesday night.They thank God at every meal no matter where it is taken. If a neighbor needs help they don't wait to be asked. If they see someone friend or stranger broke down along the road they stop and help. If they see someone on the street or in a store they don't turn their back on them, they speak and greet you with a smile. I guess if that's redneck I'm damn proud of them.

They all meet Jeff Foxworthy's requirements except being hill billies.

Oh yea and my grand dads great uncle did serve with a North Carolina Artillery unit during the Civil War.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Charles said:
stoney56 said:

Your right North Carolina has got some red neck fire fighters in California fighting their fire.
Some body here got a problem with rednecks ????

Not a problem with me. I was just mentioning that there probably some good ole Southern Boys trying to keep Calif. from becoming a briquette. I also meet or have met 8 of Foxworthy's definitions as well as a 10 year veteran Asst Fire Chief and Fire Marshal.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh I'm a "redneck" type fellow -- if that means --I like country foods --cornbead ,turnip greens, pork chops --- grits eggs and either bacon or sausge fer breakfast---(check yep)
I like my hunting and fishing --(yep and yep) -- I will shoot crooks if the break in my home or threaten my family or home (yep) NRA member (yep) now as far as hating folks for the color of their skin NOPE --thats foolishness --god make all folks the color he wants to be -- so if you got a problem with that see the maker about it --- now how a person acts towards me , my loved ones and our belongings is a differant matter-- that is something people do have a choice in and personal control over and bad things done to me, my loved ones, or belongings by other poeple (no matter what their race ,creed or color may be will be dealt with quickly and harshly) --- so if thats a redneck ---then yes I'm one. --- but I think of myself as a good ole boy type fellow --personally.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Oak Island and Uwharrie, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Tesoro PIranha, Minelab MusketeerX, Garrett 350
stoney56 said:
Charles said:
stoney56 said:

Your right North Carolina has got some red neck fire fighters in California fighting their fire.
Some body here got a problem with rednecks ????

Not a problem with me. I was just mentioning that there probably some good ole Southern Boys trying to keep Calif. from becoming a briquette. I also meet or have met 8 of Foxworthy's definitions as well as a 10 year veteran Asst Fire Chief and Fire Marshal.

I did not mean to direct that to you stoney, I was kind of re enforcing your Redneck FD volunteers to California statement. I know we have a large number out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions