REDs PATRIOTIC BUNKER

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
aww don't give up!! I was gonna use my beam idea as a way for a Tennessee vacation! plus I just found out last night that my wife's uncle Dennis still owns the family farm and its been in the family since way before the civil war..550 acres of undetected land that has history on it of the civil war!! I've always wanted to have the opportunity to dig a relic from that war, even if its just a piece of rust, I'd be thrilled beyond belief.
I need to do some research on tearing down historic buildings...normally I'd not even consider destroying american history, but to bring the house up to code, lead pipes, knob and tube wiring, later asbestos flooring added...friggin money pit! though that's not why I bought it. house was a bonus, 5 acres of prime hardwoods for the low auction price of 1200 dollars was perfect! old growth hard and soft maples, sugar included, red,white oak, black walnut, birch, beech, tons of standing dead elm...equals never paying for heat again.

Hope you have a blessed Sunday guys...gotta go gonna be late for church.

Mike

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Thanks Bandit.... That's about the size of my present shop now. It's now a 28' x 40' x 10'. I'm planning on adding the extra length and 2' width for some MORE ROOM. I'll have to join the forum in order to view your pics. Now I understand your need for the 12' ceiling because of raising vehicles but I don't think I'd utilize / need the extra 2'.

Thanks all for your input... Because of the extra costs and the probable need for supports below I'll probably pass on the overhead loft.
It's a great forum if you're into tools, garages, man cave stuff, etc. The mods are a little strict about discussing politics, religion, or creating drama of any kind but if they'll have me they'll take anybody.. :laughing7:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife wanted to use my 'puter...i was fixing her laptop (virus). She says....what a f'in mess!! heh
Well OK, I been busy...I might clean it up.

DSCN5679.JPG

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeh...a Dell
It started out as a Dell.
Now it is a quad core , 64 bit, Raid 5....three 500 Gig HD's.
16MB of ram
This mo fo can skin a cat!!!!

as long as you built it yourself :p
but why raid 5 ? running a business for the redundancy ?
pro tip, ditch the HDs, switch to ssd's for your raid array.
mechanical HDs never really benefitted that much from raid simply because they can't be fast enough to take advantage, bottleneck. WD raptors in either 10 or 15k rpm work OK in raid.
ugh to early for this, bbl.

Mike

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bandit.... That's about the size of my present shop now. It's now a 28' x 40' x 10'. I'm planning on adding the extra length and 2' width for some MORE ROOM. I'll have to join the forum in order to view your pics. Now I understand your need for the 12' ceiling because of raising vehicles but I don't think I'd utilize / need the extra 2'.

Thanks all for your input... Because of the extra costs and the probable need for supports below I'll probably pass on the overhead loft.

I would go with steel I- beam. They really don't cost as much as one would think. At that distance an LVL or Glu-lam would have a tough time.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
aww don't give up!! I was gonna use my beam idea as a way for a Tennessee vacation! plus I just found out last night that my wife's uncle Dennis still owns the family farm and its been in the family since way before the civil war..550 acres of undetected land that has history on it of the civil war!! I've always wanted to have the opportunity to dig a relic from that war, even if its just a piece of rust, I'd be thrilled beyond belief.
I need to do some research on tearing down historic buildings...normally I'd not even consider destroying american history, but to bring the house up to code, lead pipes, knob and tube wiring, later asbestos flooring added...friggin money pit! though that's not why I bought it. house was a bonus, 5 acres of prime hardwoods for the low auction price of 1200 dollars was perfect! old growth hard and soft maples, sugar included, red,white oak, black walnut, birch, beech, tons of standing dead elm...equals never paying for heat again.

Hope you have a blessed Sunday guys...gotta go gonna be late for church.

Mike

N.W. of you/us where prices are somewhat sane compared to lower part of the state ,ten acres averages around 23,000 with out any real decent timber to boast of.
Lows in the upper teens for near wasteland. Good score man. I'm still looking for that perfect acre for deer, reasonably priced of course.8-)

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
RC if its not to far for you, you are welcome to hunt our cottage property near evart. 40 acres of woods there, and a old mobile home to keep you dry. Osceola state forest on other side of u.s.10 from it. some big bucks up there, good pheasant hunting as its full of ferns and they seem to like ferns.

Mike

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is within an hour or close. If the Reed city five acre owner does not turn up , like he was supposed to last month I may need to take you up on it.
We hit it fairly hard at a friends place towards Ionia this week and as since Oct. elsewhere, no dice.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
my brother lives in reed city, he hunts the 40 also so I'd have to let him know. if you know the area fairly well, 5 miles west of the town of evart, there is a huge pile of crap! called the evart flea market..my aunt owns that. the first trailer just west of it, is our property. my brother will probably give me crap, but tough cookies.

Mike

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't want to impose and start family strife. Takes the fun out of it when they are some one else' s.:laughing7:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as long as you built it yourself :p
but why raid 5 ? running a business for the redundancy ?
pro tip, ditch the HDs, switch to ssd's for your raid array.
mechanical HDs never really benefitted that much from raid simply because they can't be fast enough to take advantage, bottleneck. WD raptors in either 10 or 15k rpm work OK in raid.
ugh to early for this, bbl.

Mike
I had someone help me set it up, the extra discs were part of the deal...FREE!!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oregon,, I have never used an engineered truss for a second floor support beam with a 30 ft span,, Can that be done? How tall do you think it would need to be?

I am using a 6X12 solid Douglas Fir on a project right now spanning 15 ft, But it is a loft, and the Ridge is a 2 ply 14 inch LVL, supported in the same places as the Doug Fir.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wide span trusses. A loft would benifit with a support (pole) It would not be in the way.
I have been working way to much...I stay up till 2am......then on the job at 8am, so I might have missed Limits actual size/specs. 1 6x6 pole...and it would be finished...sweet...Would open up a multitude of options!
Would make everything easier.

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wide span trusses. A loft would benifit with a support (pole) It would not be in the way.
So, How deep? Do they make a sort of drop hanger to use for the floor joists? And then you could build the wall on top of that?

Wondering for my own education, And I dabble in designing simple structures when I am bored.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok.... Limitool (Brad) is back and I'm about to go to war with local government. I own my land, pay ALL my taxes, own my common bordered homes (2) and WILL NOT pay local Govt. to build something upon my own property!!!!! I'm going to build (I believe) a 30' x 80' x 10' building. Hell I can build the ENTIRE building (except concrete) myself. So whenever I call to get a bid to get it up "yesterday" I get asked about a permit. I said to them all to "hell with the permit"... I'LL TELL YOU HOW TO BUILD IT!!!! And the folks I have lined up for now are all on board. Even the area electric company rep asked / said I'd have to pull permits before he could hook up power from the pole for C-T service (1 meter for 2 building) for $1,000!!!!! I said hell "I'll just run a 2-4 gage from my home to a 200 service their" and continue. He just laughed and said "yea, that would be easy".

As long as I'm NOT doing something STUPID construction/wiring or foundation wise who's business IS it???? Their REALLY going to be pissed when I install my own septic system next month. I can't stand all of the regulations. Hell I live on ridge top with NOBODY around and I'm NOT going to ask for permission or somebody's "ok" to building something.... I feel better now!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Theyre mad because youre building on property that you think you own.Look at your deed,I believe you are classified on it as a tenant.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Theyre mad because youre building on property that you think you own.Look at your deed,I believe you are classified on it as a tenant.

Well, I sure as hell won't contest that I'm a "tenant" because NOBODY owns any property because of our life span. But, as long as I pay the local "King" my taxes I sure as hell will do what I want, when I want and any way I want upon this property without any other fees outside of my stated taxes.

And I sure as hell will look to see if I'm a "tenant" or landowner. Either way this is going to have a bad outcome if push comes to shove. I'll take one hell of a ass-whooping to get one good punch in. That's just the way it is with me.... I'm not asking for "permission". And that statement gets confused with a "request" concerning Govt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions