Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Limitool, that is how it is done now.
The permit is not truly to check the construction, but to reassess your property value. Although, to protect the counties newly found cash cow they have to make sure it won't collapse before they make enough money on it.

On the bright side?(If there is one). After the engineering, hoops and inspections they have liability, which would be extremely hard to pursue.

If you build less than 200 sq ft(? localities vary) you won't need a permit though.( unless you put in power or plumbing?)

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.... Limitool (Brad) is back and I'm about to go to war with local government. I own my land, pay ALL my taxes, own my common bordered homes (2) and WILL NOT pay local Govt. to build something upon my own property!!!!! I'm going to build (I believe) a 30' x 80' x 10' building. Hell I can build the ENTIRE building (except concrete) myself. So whenever I call to get a bid to get it up "yesterday" I get asked about a permit. I said to them all to "hell with the permit"... I'LL TELL YOU HOW TO BUILD IT!!!! And the folks I have lined up for now are all on board. Even the area electric company rep asked / said I'd have to pull permits before he could hook up power from the pole for C-T service (1 meter for 2 building) for $1,000!!!!! I said hell "I'll just run a 2-4 gage from my home to a 200 service their" and continue. He just laughed and said "yea, that would be easy".

As long as I'm NOT doing something STUPID construction/wiring or foundation wise who's business IS it???? Their REALLY going to be pissed when I install my own septic system next month. I can't stand all of the regulations. Hell I live on ridge top with NOBODY around and I'm NOT going to ask for permission or somebody's "ok" to building something.... I feel better now!!!!!!!!

that's all well and good since you would not do anything stupid. But suppose you didn't live on the ridge and your neighbors septic system poisoned your well, or his stupidity in
pouring a foundation or framing it causes it to blow apart in high winds and one of the framing members kills one of your family, or a bad job of wiring causes a fire that burns down your house. I am willing to lay odds you would be calling "Duey, Cheatum & Howe" to file a suit & the local municipality would be included as a matter of course.

You see, not everyone is versed in the building trades, some people design computers, some people push paper, some people are just plain dumb when it comes to hammer meet nail.

I have over 40 years in the trades and have seen some totally stupid things done in the name of building.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's all well and good since you would not do anything stupid. But suppose you didn't live on the ridge and your neighbors septic system poisoned your well, or his stupidity in
pouring a foundation or framing it causes it to blow apart in high winds and one of the framing members kills one of your family, or a bad job of wiring causes a fire that burns down your house. I am willing to lay odds you would be calling "Duey, Cheatum & Howe" to file a suit & the local municipality would be included as a matter of course.

You see, not everyone is versed in the building trades, some people design computers, some people push paper, some people are just plain dumb when it comes to hammer meet nail.

I have over 40 years in the trades and have seen some totally stupid things done in the name of building.

I understand you mean well Davest - though, that's one of the huge problems in the USA - The "What IF" laws......just because a minority of the people do stupid things, it shouldn't take away the majorities rights. I can show you hundreds of examples.........What's next, banning hot coffee because some fool sticks a hot cup between her legs and spills it?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Another deal with ordinances is conformity. Footing depth is one a neighbor got popped on. Had he pulled a permit he would have known proper code and saved himself rework. Height has been an issue recently in one area. Sq. foot and property line set backs is a common one here and the subject of numerous zoning variances being sought.
Ya it is a drag to pull permits but can save hassle down the road. The township knows who is building what and takes aerial pics on occasion and assessments can change .

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
First you wrote this:

pouring a foundation or framing it causes it to blow apart in high winds

Then you wrote this:

I have NEVER seen a 'poured foundation' that blew apart, but what would I know ... having been a construction foreman for CECO back in the 1980's (yeah, form carpenter) when we built all those skyscrapers in New Orleans that didn't topple in any of the big winds like Katrina.

Generally, concrete is too heavy to blow anywhere without a bit of assistance ... from something that goes "boom!"

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permits can be a PITA. Now I know a gentleman that added a deck to his existing home, a few years later wanted to sell the home. Bank would not loan any money because the deck was built without a permit! I brought it up to code for him. If you build anything make sure it is up to code, then if you ever sell the permit is easy to get. With out a permit/inspections you could have legal problems, if, your roof falls on a "guest" that is in your shop....snow, high winds etc. It was not inspected, permit signed, recorded in the county records...... your home owners insurance is null and void. Sorry! :laughing7: Being a contractor permits are a must-have. If it is not a "legal" structure, at least in the counties eyes, then I don't think you could get ANY insurance. Fire?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permits can be a PITA. Now I know a gentleman that added a deck to his existing home, a few years later wanted to sell the home. Bank would not loan any money because the deck was built without a permit! I brought it up to code for him. If you build anything make sure it is up to code, then if you ever sell the permit is easy to get. With out a permit/inspections you could have legal problems, if, your roof falls on a "guest" that is in your shop....snow, high winds etc. It was not inspected, permit signed, recorded in the county records...... your home owners insurance is null and void. Sorry! :laughing7: Being a contractor permits are a must-have. If it is not a "legal" structure, at least in the counties eyes, then I don't think you could get ANY insurance. Fire?

Yes, Yes, Yes definitely, and yes. A prime example is footing depth and width. I have seen inadequate sized rafters and joists MANY times too. Scares me to death what some people do.

But,, Remember the good old days when you didn't need a permit or a license? Remember when carpenters were able to make a decent living? Once upon a time, in a far off land, people sought the knowledge they needed to complete a particular task, without shortcuts, and lived with the consequences.
Of course people were more inclined to worry about their lives, honor and integrity back then.

And back to the flip side, No one wants to take responsibility for anything. And it really is easier to be dictated to. I mean supervised, I mean bullied.

Next thing you know someone will try to tell you what you and your kids should be eating?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eggggg zakly Mike!, If that's your horse you should be able to ride it!

I always liked that Avatar!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You all have valid points and they are taken to heart concerning this new building I'm putting up. But I STILL find it hard to believe I have to pay someone else to "bless" my work. I don't give a damn what they "think" and sure as hell don't want to PAY THEM for it. I have built a house out here, put up two large decks, built a 28' x 40' x 10 workshop and numerous sheds all without any permits. I did have to pay the electric company to "bless" my work before they'd run power lines. But that's it and I easily passed. And I have it all insured with no problems. The tax assessor was pissed (so what) but nothing happened what so ever. I never plan on selling either. And when I build something I always overkill it and do it with pride. No neighbors within a mile and the new septic is downhill from my well and just one toilet and sink will be online.

Whatever happened to the folks who know what to do but because of permits required have to be babysat? I guess I'd rather make them deal with me instead of me dealing with them. I'll take photo's of the footers and the concrete going in before I build upon it. I'll take photo's of all headers and the roof will have 4-5 pitch spanning the 30'. The electric company will bless my wiring and after their gone I'll finish the wiring, build a small bath and install a small simple septic. I guess the "rules" have changed around here since I did my building a few years ago. But I'm not paying the local Govt. to get their blessing to build on my own property.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not built or had built a large outbuilding on this site but did research what was required/allowed for a pole building. While not delighted with fees and the long ride to county seat ,knowing it will pass code is my goal,permit or not. Helps with planning on this postage stamp sized property. Probably would pull a permit being residential here and save a hassle if selling down the road.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not built or had built a large outbuilding on this site but did research what was required/allowed for a pole building. While not delighted with fees and the long ride to county seat ,knowing it will pass code is my goal,permit or not. Helps with planning on this postage stamp sized property. Probably would pull a permit being residential here and save a hassle if selling down the road.

Maybe residential is another matter (MAYBE). But in this rural ridge top area I just have heartburn jumping through hoops and paying others for their opinions and won't. I guess I'm the last of a dying breed. I do all my work with pride and don't need somebody else's opinion if it's right. Government, be it Federal / State / or local has just gotten way to BIG for me!!!!!

And releventchair... to "pull a permit being residential here and save a hassle" is the right thing to do for you then so be it. But, I refuse to roll over (pay) for permission to build what I want, when I want, where I want and the way I want. I own my land, pay taxes and refuse to be controlled outside this arena. I'm NOT trying to be a rebel but if a person like me which can build the whole building has to be babysat it's just one more control item for local Govt. I guess they'll deal with me in court....????

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe residential is another matter (MAYBE). But in this rural ridge top area I just have heartburn jumping through hoops and paying others for their opinions and won't. I guess I'm the last of a dying breed. I do all my work with pride and don't need somebody else's opinion if it's right. Government, be it Federal / State / or local has just gotten way to BIG for me!!!!!

And releventchair... to "pull a permit being residential here and save a hassle" is the right thing to do for you then so be it. But, I refuse to roll over (pay) for permission to build what I want, when I want, where I want and the way I want. I own my land, pay taxes and refuse to be controlled outside this arena. I'm NOT trying to be a rebel but if a person like me which can build the whole building has to be babysat it's just one more control item for local Govt. I guess they'll deal with me in court....????

We have had a few people build their houses without permits around here. The have a gate, and tell the county...Up yours!!
The county didn't like it, but the backed off. Most of the time I let the home owner obtain the permit, that way it saves them some money, and I can do what I was hired to do. We have one county inspector...one city inspector. 99% of the time....say for a sheeting inspection, they don't even climb the ladder they just know I'm in code compliance. In my case the permit is a necessity. I'am licensed bonded and insured, I don't need any dings on my license as I pay enough damn money as it is! Your case is different. You will know when you start your project. Of course it is a lil' different out here in Oregon:laughing7: Oregon statehood 1859.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A new outbuilding would be sweet.
Whiffed on a great buck today after not seeing any deer since Oct. first opener.. Arrrghhh.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You all have valid points and they are taken to heart concerning this new building I'm putting up. But I STILL find it hard to believe I have to pay someone else to "bless" my work. I don't give a damn what they "think" and sure as hell don't want to PAY THEM for it. I have built a house out here, put up two large decks, built a 28' x 40' x 10 workshop and numerous sheds all without any permits. I did have to pay the electric company to "bless" my work before they'd run power lines. But that's it and I easily passed. And I have it all insured with no problems. The tax assessor was pissed (so what) but nothing happened what so ever. I never plan on selling either. And when I build something I always overkill it and do it with pride. No neighbors within a mile and the new septic is downhill from my well and just one toilet and sink will be online.

Whatever happened to the folks who know what to do but because of permits required have to be babysat? I guess I'd rather make them deal with me instead of me dealing with them. I'll take photo's of the footers and the concrete going in before I build upon it. I'll take photo's of all headers and the roof will have 4-5 pitch spanning the 30'. The electric company will bless my wiring and after their gone I'll finish the wiring, build a small bath and install a small simple septic. I guess the "rules" have changed around here since I did my building a few years ago. But I'm not paying the local Govt. to get their blessing to build on my own property.
Over here in Greene County TN all I had to do for my 30x40 garage was pay the $50 permit fee. The building inspector came, asked if I thought the neighbor would let him deer hunt on his land and gave me the permit. Never saw him again until the garage was finished. I did my own electric and he couldn't care less. The only thing that would have complicated the process was if I had plumbing out there.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Spotted for a friend yesterday, putting his fifth wheel in his newest out building. He had just finished caulking the seams of the o.s.b. that's over the insulation. Another big o heated structure. Ten acres and he could not go another foot as he is maxed out. Some very well built structures though. Always gets me thinking come winter I need to bite the bullet and fill my yard with a building, or move.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over here in Greene County TN all I had to do for my 30x40 garage was pay the $50 permit fee. The building inspector came, asked if I thought the neighbor would let him deer hunt on his land and gave me the permit. Never saw him again until the garage was finished. I did my own electric and he couldn't care less. The only thing that would have complicated the process was if I had plumbing out there.

Well I didn't even THINK about any permits till I started inquiring with a concrete guy and a framer. They both said "things" have changed here now in Hickman Co. TN. and they didn't like it either. I guess here now a permit is required even to pour a large concrete pad with footers. I don't know if this covers the actual building or not. And I have to have one for the electric hookup also. Then if I put a toilet and sink in I have to get another!!!!! Guess I need to go uptown and inquire but it's probably not going to go good (for me). And Bandit if $50.00 covered it all... I'd consider. A perk permit was $100.00 many years ago alone. Hell I've already had this done twice why would I need another?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread