Reject tray/bin, magnet finds, etc.

silverscott

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2011
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple of questions concerning machine finds. My machine has two reject bins or trays: one is INSIDE of the machine (you need a key to access it) and another is on the outside spitting out coins that aren't recognized as you are counting. Anyways, when everyone on here says they checked the "reject tray" and found all of these great coins which reject tray are they talking about? Do they ask the teller to open up the machine so they can look inside? Or is it simply the exposed bin on the outside that is randomly full of goodies. Also, what is the magnet? I have heard of magnets on arcade machines, coin counters, etc. If someone could take a little time to explain those basics to me I would greatly appreciate it!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I can help!!!

First off, to let you know, I am nowhere near SLC.

Banks around me, there is only one branch of banks that I can access the magnet to. You do not need to open the machine.

1. There's a metal bin where you slide down your coins
2. pull out the metal bin
3. swipe hands along the bottom of the bin(you'll feel coins, not see them)
4. gently slide the coins into your hand.

5... IMPORTANT... Be VERY careful of bobby pins, needles, paper clips, or anything sharp and magnetic that may cut you.

And most importantly, be sure you have permission from the bank, otherwise you're stealing.

On a lighter note, I dumped today, got 5 coins off the magnet. 1 angel token, a canadian quarter(2001), canadian nickel(1965) netherlands 2eurocent(2004) and a 1992 cayman islands penny.

Nothing valueable, but adds to my collection :)

Good luck.

postvmvs

Dec 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Every machine is different. Most have a magnet on the input and some way to deal with rejects.

On the East Coast, TD Banks are everywhere and most have a machine called the Penny Arcade which is free to use if you have an account. The Penny Arcade appears to be a Talaris Mach 9 with a custom HMI featuring an animated character of a young girl. It is targeted at children, although I have only seen adults using it. It asks you at the beginning to 'guess' how much you have so that you can 'win' a 'prize' if you guess within $1.99 of the counted amount. The machines are fast, but are often poorly maintained and don't display a running total. They will often count dimes as pennies, and sometimes they will just lose a few hundred dollars for seemingly no reason. They feature a PVC reject tube that does not line properly with the reject opening, so any 'rejected' coins will tend to end up inaccessible unless the machine is opened. These rejected coins are mostly just perfectly good US coins that it chose not accept. These machines also tend to reject silver dimes and quarters, so you might get lucky and can pluck one from previous users from the inaccessible reject tube when you fill up one of the bags, which will happen frequently because the bags are set to fill at very low levels. Most Penny Arcades I have visited have a jury-rigged cut bag for half dollars that only holds $100 and sits directly on top of the reject tube further preventing access. BuffaloBoy described how to retrieve coins from magnet from this machine so I will not repeat this.

The only other machine I have somewhat 'figured out' is an odd beast from NF String (the people that make the paper rolls). This machine uses one large bin that all denominations go into. It has a magnet at the entrance end, but it isn't accessible without opening the machine with a key. I find when I dump halves in it I tend to get an extra .05 or .01 from knocking Canadians loose from the magnet. Last week I 'killed' the machine when dumping. The teller 'helping' me cleared the coins that were on the wheel into some black abyss. After the count came up short, another smarter teller contacted the company and found out that black abyss was the only reject outlet on the machine. So this machine features a magnet that you can't reach and a reject area that you can't reclaim your coins from! I was told my account would be credited with whatever was found in there by the tech that services that machine. We'll see.

Feel free to post about other machines...

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent put guys, I'd just like to add the the White PVC tube is very narrow and hard, a normal adult hand cannot reach in completely

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread