relic a good md

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a good relic MD for old coins and relics.Now for parks and such its easier quite a large selection, but when your in the woods or around old stone foundations its a bit more tricky.You have leaves that build UB every year that makes dept more of a factor, plus you need something that's easy to manage. Just was woundering what guys are useing.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Realistically you are only going to buy what you can afford or feel comfortable paying. That narrows down the list to where you can ask about specific models people have experience with. I have a Fisher F2. Around 200 bucks. It beeps and tries to id the type of metal. It isn't always right. But I dig and get rid of junk. Anything left is not junk.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not looking for a gpx but could see spending 1000 . I'm really looking to buy to,but right no looking for a good MD for woods ,not for bullets , we don't have cw relics here so more for coins stuff like that.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry hogground didn't mean to hijack your post I have a simaler tread in brands and thought I was on it.This forum been giving me fits all weekend.I was thinking t2se , but not sure .did you look at them? Soory again.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If you are looking for individual coins, almost any detector will do! If you are looking for coin caches and don't want to bother with the junk and don't mind missing individual coins, you can use a 2 BOX . I work mine about two feet above the ground and brush. It will pick up from the side for 6+' to hit stone walls. You can pick up a good used one for around $250 to $300.
It's all in what you are looking for! Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
H

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's OK .don't no if I'm willing to pay 1000 unless it was proven. I did look at t2 and mxt pro also CTX or v3i I can't try any out around here so was looking for what people have success with .If you look on YouTube it is miss leading.I no if I don't like one I can sell it ,but I'm in to detecting not selling.

OP
OP
H

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would plan on getting a to box detector in the future for a different type of detecting, but right now was thinking parks,churches and woods if one detector can do it .I would get it but for woodsI would think something that can go deep,parks 6 to 7 inch would be good,but for woods you would think 10 to 12.

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's OK .don't no if I'm willing to pay 1000 unless it was proven. I did look at t2 and mxt pro also CTX or v3i I can't try any out around here so was looking for what people have success with .If you look on YouTube it is miss leading.I no if I don't like one I can sell it ,but I'm in to detecting not selling.

If you're considering the MXT, it is my opinion that you can't find a better all-round machine for the price. I've used one for years and it does just about anything you could want. Fast response, good depth, lots of room for your individual preferences.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the woods for sure. The leaves are are only a inch deep at the most on average, you can hit those deep pockets of leaves here and there, but you can go 20 feet away and find thin leave ground coverage.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The t2 is very comfortable swings like a feather. I bought mine for relic hunting but now use it for everything. I have a couple detectors that I have more money in that sit in the closet.

OP
OP
H

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was really liking the t2 actually more than the f75 and was leaning that way I like the whites, but. I think you sac dept for well built MD. How you like the dept ? I also think the t2 wood swing nice in woods you no up down and around things. It is tough choice you always want to make the right one, so many choices.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get your hands on those detectors and try them out, that will tell you which you like.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I was really liking the t2 actually more than the f75 and was leaning that way I like the whites, but. I think you sac dept for well built MD. How you like the dept ? I also think the t2 wood swing nice in woods you no up down and around things. It is tough choice you always want to make the right one, so many choices.

Look at it this way. They all do the same thing! So the question in your mine should be, do you want something light, or are you the kind of person that has to have all the bells and whistles? You should consider what type of targets mean the most to you. Do you really need a 3' plow puller, or would an 8" coin find mean more to you?
Think of it this way, look at what those high end Mine lab guys go thru to get a nugget. They look like a Christmas tree with all that stuff hanging off them. Also, do you really want to dig to China on each hit?
Just some thoughts. Frank...
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a t2 I'd bet you would not be unhappy with the depth.

OP
OP
H

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the reply.What my intentions was I have a friend who's in the same boat so we decided to both buy to different detectors,that would make four that we would try out and keep the ones we like.now for woods want to go deep.Now I considered ctx ,but they came down in price and guys who used the etrac switched to CTX.now it seems they switched back to the etrac.Now I personally like the the sights and sounds of the v3i,but even no there built like tanks the seem to lac dept to a point.now the etrac have a very good reputation and people seem happy with them.now I have a atpro and they are good,but I here claims of getting ten inches with them,so there's deception cause I use it and I no first hand.now the t2 run hot which I no,get good dept so it seems and there a joy to swing. So seems to be a good woods MD.now I think MD are being built with so many options that the dept is being lost which people seem to care the most about, who cares if a four inch target is good or not to a point,its nothing to dig,now a 7 to 8 inch target is where you want to take the guess work out of it,or as much as possible .so that's the hole point to here from people who use the units in question from what I see the t2 ,etrac have the most consistency from what people say,but on a lot of videos people are using whites in the woods,also a lot of people talk about the older fishers being good.so you have to read between the lines, now I might have answered my own question either way plan on trying four so I can give my advice to someone els.thanks

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your stated goals -( something decent for the woods )- Any number of detectors will be fine , and your success will have much more to do with you ! Your perseverance , willingness to dig "iffy" signals - and research to get you into promising locations , will play a bigger part in your success - than any particular brand .

(For example - I've seen plenty of people here over the years- score rather valuable gold/gemstone rings on the beaches using a Garrett's Ace 250)
So the cost (in this case around $250.) has less to do with it- than location and knowing how to use a machine ! ( I don't happen to use a Garrett's)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually did a lot of reaserch and have so many places to detect this year, that I don't think I can hit them all, but I do get your point.you no detecting in woods isn't always easy, a lot of up down and around.so a lighter MD would be good ,you need dept.A five gallon bucket of leaves would add up to a hand full of compos when broke down, so 200 years of leaves breaking down adds inches.It might be 5 to 6 inch before your down to soil holding the goods.now in VLF detectors dept is pretty close to each other , but there is some better then some like one goes 4 inch compared to one that goes 7 I want the one that goes 7 or more unless we start talking pi a different road.so what I'm saying is if there all the same then why would I want to swing one that is heavier than another.l haven't tried every detector so I was just trying to get feed back on good woods MD and what seems to work for people.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Your are a bit of a dreamer! No detector can positively verify the ID of a target. It's a guess based on lab tests of various items that are programmed into a memory. So what do you have left? DEPTH. For that you want a PI!
Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
H

hogground

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if I came off that way, but that's not what I was trying to say.What I ment is some detectors hit strong at 4 inches and some hit strong at 7 regardless what's there And you get to no different tones for different signals.If your at a cellar hole you pretty much dig everything.so you don't want a detector that hits targets strong at 4inches cause stuffs deeper and you won't find old stuff, just new stuff that someone dropped with a deeper MD and also what I ment is I can't see standing over a 4 inch target analyzing it for 15 min when its nothing to dig a 4 inch target compared to a 7 or 8 inch target.What I basically meant is if you got a MD that only goes 4 inch it might hit a 7 inch target but it will be week and faint.where a MD that can go 7 inch might hit a target at 10 inch, but it will be week and faint so for a relic hunt you want the deeper detector.wish I said that first.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would plan on getting a to box detector in the future for a different type of detecting, but right now was thinking parks,churches and woods if one detector can do it .I would get it but for woodsI would think something that can go deep,parks 6 to 7 inch would be good,but for woods you would think 10 to 12.

Actually. In my experience, the depth of stuff in the woods is surprisingly shallow. I'm talking like 3 to 5 inches. Much more shallow than grass/field finds.

If cellar hole hunting is on your list you'll want a "fast" machine. I.e. one which will separate the signals from two targets that are very near each other. Cellar hole sites have a whole lot of little pieces of junk/iron laying around. A faster, more responsive machine works better on them.

Good Luck!
-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread