Relic Hunting at a tot lot ???

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay, that is probably one of the most bizarre metal detecting concepts that I have thought of but let me explain. 99.9% of my metal detecting is done for logging relics in old logging camps but since the firearm deer season opened today I figured it best to stay out of the woods. I hit one of the local tot lots for an hour or so this evening. I set my machine up to reject iron signals and was pretty well skunked. It had been hit hard by someone talented. Other than pull tabs I came up empty handed. Out of habit, I put my machine in all metal mode and immediately got a solid hit. I dug through the gravel and came up with a piece of rusted iron...no idea. I kept going and got another hit. This time it was a hand forged square nail. After a couple more nails my time was up so I had to leave, but I did notice something about the gravel. It is local river gravel. It has clam, snail and mussel shells along with the occasional piece of dry "sea weed" in it. I now wonder just where this gravel was mined from and what iron goodies I might find.

Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have another day like that, where you can't hunt anywhere else, I would hit that place up some more in all-metal mode. Some of those deep signals could be very interesting things. Square nail, that's a good start.

Would love to see what else you're able to bring up from that spot. "Nobody" hunts in all-metal mode... except some relic hunters, who don't hit tot lots. So your competition might have done you a favor by getting most of the shallower targets out of the way.

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am hoping that your are right. I am really out of my element in a tot lot. I left my 10" coil on my machine instead of putting on the 7" coil. I kept fighting myself to NOT put it in all metal mode (now I wish I had!). I grabbed all of my woodland digging tools when I left not thinking about using my hands to sift through gravel, etc. etc. etc. Anyway, I am actually excited about going back there and hitting it in all metal mode. Local contractors can easily get gravel mining permits for most of the local streams (certain dry creeks are the most popular by the contractors). Many of these dry creek areas have old home sites dating back to the 1850's near them. Here is the ironic part. It is against the law, in my area to metal detect these old home sites because they are on state and federal owned lands and it violates certain statutes that protect historical sites but it is totally legal, with a permit, to take a back hoe in there and dig up hundreds of tons of gravel that contains the same relics. Go figure.

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that is because you can do sssooooo much more damage with a metal detector than with a backhoe. (sarcasm) Kind of ridiculous ain't it... :dontknow: Good luck and HH.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
That's pretty cool and something I always keep in mind about any modern site that has been built on, i.e. that it could be loaded with fill dirt from just about anywhere including old sites with good stuff. By the same token, some of the older sites I've found in the city have been covered and really built up with new dirt. For example I recently went back to the old elementary school I attended and found there is now a basketball court behind the school on a long "mound" that is about 8 feet higher than where the ground used to be.

twocents.gif
I always use all metal mode when I'm in tot lots as they are usually pretty clean anyway. Haven't found any relics but have found some small stuff and some gold. I pretty much do all metal anywhere it's not too trashy.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusted_Iron said:
If you have another day like that, where you can't hunt anywhere else, I would hit that place up some more in all-metal mode. Some of those deep signals could be very interesting things. Square nail, that's a good start.

Would love to see what else you're able to bring up from that spot. "Nobody" hunts in all-metal mode... except some relic hunters, who don't hit tot lots. So your competition might have done you a favor by getting most of the shallower targets out of the way.
Only you and I rusted Iron....you and I ::) :)

OP
OP
turtlefoot13

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think this last weekend was the first time I did not use all metal mode this year. Since most of what I hunt for is iron, I don't even mess with the disc. control. I have been trying different aspects of this hobby the last couple of weeks so as to broaden my horizons and add to my experience with my machine. I do believe, unless I have a specific reason, I will continue to use all metal mode in the future. ;D

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
4-H said:
Rusted_Iron said:

Only you and I rusted Iron....you and I ::) :)

raises hand....

Hey guys, wait for ME!!!!!

Heh. Seriously, though, how many park coinshooters and clad hunters use all-metal and really "dig all"? There are some on this forum that do, but think of all the places you've hit that were loaded with pulltabs, foil, and crown caps... yet they had a curious absence of penny, dime, and quarter signals........... :laughing7:

How many other people do you know that are OK with spending a whole afternoon digging deep nails, on maybe the 5% chance they'll hit a coin? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread