What do you think?

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I live in Yokosuka, Japan which is about a 20 minute train ride south of Kamakura (home of the "big buddha"). There is a nearby beach called Yuigahama. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

"During the Kamakura period both the beach and the nearby areas were called Maehama (前浜?)[2]. The name appears repeatedly in the Azuma Kagami to indicate spots going from Hase to Wakamiya Oji[2]. It was used to practice martial arts such as Ogasagake (小笠懸?) (horseback archery) and yabusame (流鏑馬?) (a horseback archery competition)[3]. It became a battlefield in 1180 at the time of the battle against Hatakeyama Shigetada, and again in 1333 for the fight between Nitta Yoshisada and the defense forces of the Hōjō. Lastly, it became a battleground in 1416 during Uesugi Zenshū's rebellion[3]. Human bones of the era are still occasionally found during excavations. It is on this beach that Nichiren, the founder of the Buddhist Nichiren sect, was put on a boat to be taken to Katase and executed.[3]

The beach was considered ground sacred to the Minamoto and, before visiting shrines in Izu or Hakone, the shogun would always purify his body here[3]."

Considering it's rich history do you think it would be a no-no to metal detect there? It is a public beach open year round so there really shouldn't be too much of a problem right? Most of the history stuff occurred on the mainland(that's where the archaeological stuff is) so the beach should be ok. Just looking for your thoughts on this...

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also don't know the laws there. But thinking it is public and it is open all year. I would think the beach and water would be OK to detect.......Matt

OP
OP
cillosis

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
That's what I was thinking...after all, it is a PUBLIC beach. Hmmm...I guess I can walk around the area and see if any of the local authorities speak english so I can ask them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread