Relics and a Coin

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these in my own side field which I had hit hard with my MXT. I hit the area with the new Explorer SE today and found these. The coin and the whatsit were in the same hole. The coin is an 1832 One Penny Nova Scotia Thistle Token. Of course it is in hard shape but easily identified.

When I first found the knife I thought it was a Hitler Youth knife but as seen it is a Boy Scouts knife. Anyone know of the year this would have been made?

Attachments

• relics 001.jpg
    relics 001.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 699
  • relics 002.jpg
    relics 002.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 680
  • relics 006.jpg
    relics 006.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 695
  • relics 011.jpg
    relics 011.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 671
  • relics 018.jpg
    relics 018.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,265
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice finds..........Like the "Milk Thistle" on that coin!

WTG ! Good luck in future Adventures...

The Seeker

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Nice coin and relics.I'm really curious about that patented token or ? I hope you can clean it enough to identify it. Great job out there!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't help with the dagger Romeo but another great coin...nice dig!!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds Romeo...that blade handle is very nice, can't really make out the coins?​

Congrats and Happy Hunting!

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
My first thought on the knife was a Hitler Youth knife also...VERY similar. Are you SURE its Boy Scout? What is the WW2 history of your area.

neil

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wolfpaw518 said:
My first thought on the knife was a Hitler Youth knife also...VERY similar. Are you SURE its Boy Scout? What is the WW2 history of your area.

neil

Definitely Boy Scout...you can see the Fluer de Lis on the handle.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
wolfpaw518 said:

neil

Definitely Boy Scout...you can see the Fluer de Lis on the handle.

Interestingly enough this knife was manufactured in Germany. It is identical to the Hitler Youth knife with the exception of the Fluer de Lis in place of the Swastika. Weird!

Attachments

• youth.jpg
    youth.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 3,811
  • boy.jpg
    boy.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 604
  • boy2.jpg
    boy2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,191

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Great finds Romeo!

I've never cared for the scouts organization, and I'm thinking its kind of ironic and bemusing that their knife was also made for Hitler's kids--thats all I'm saying about that. :-X ::)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a little more research it turns out that this was a Hitler Youth knife. Apparently after the war the surplus knives were shipped to the US where the Swastika was removed and replaced with the Fleur de Lis. Interesting!

from Wikipedia

The Hitler Youth Knife (German: Hitler-Jugend) was a knife sold to and carried by boys of the paramilitary youth organization of the Nazi Party that existed from 1922 to 1945. The Hitler Youth wore knives as part of their uniform, which was very similar to those worn by the Sturmabteilung. The knife was also given to those who had passed greatly in minor exams.

Hitler Youth knives typically have a swastika emblem on the obverse grip, and an RZM (Reichszeugmeisterei) inscription on the blade. In early 1937, the motto Blut und Ehre! (Blood and Honor!) began to be etched on early knife blades, but this practice was abolished and later knives were produced with plain blades.

After the war, an unknown quantity of Hitler Youth-style knives were shipped to the United States. These imports were made from mostly surplus parts, but the swastika emblem on the handle of many knives was replaced with a fleur-de-lis emblem, similar to that used by the Boy Scouts. Knives of this style are still reproduced and sold for recreational use.

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya i think it may be a scouts.nice finds anywho
;D

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just think hitler youth knives copied da scouts!!! Im makin stuff up but it sounds good ...USA USA

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
mlw67 said:
Great finds Romeo!

I've never cared for the scouts organization, and I'm thinking its kind of ironic and bemusing that their knife was also made for Hitler's kids--thats all I'm saying about that. :-X ::)

ROFLMAO!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions