Relics from the farm- help me guess the age.

bacusa

Jun 25, 2012
WNC/ETN/SW VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some finds that I made with the AT Pro. This axe head is heavy. It is very pitted, and looks hand made.
Question: anyone know the possible age by the type & design? Does oxidation cause these pits, or is that from being hand forged ( and possibly old).
Old spade was at least 12 " deep( took forever to get this thing out. Other is an old horse or mule shoe with huge nails.

image-4165332250.jpg

image-2887729889.jpg

image-2120753718.jpg

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a axe head very much like that one (ill have to verify the exact shape) and a mule shoe just like that one. Our old farmhouse is from the 1860's so your stuff has got to be at least 150 years old or so.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello bacusa.

I believe your "spade" is a hoe. No slurs implied or intended. 8-)

b644e152-be06-11e2-bb35-00144feab7de.img

OP
OP
bacusa

bacusa

Jun 25, 2012
WNC/ETN/SW VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a axe head very much like that one (ill have to verify the exact shape) and a mule shoe just like that one. Our old farmhouse is from the 1860's so your stuff has got to be at least 150 years old or so.

Thanks NCnurseryman. I showed those finds to a neighbor and he said exactly what you did about the age. I live in Western NC, but travel all over the state for work ( medical). You in NC too?
HH.

lisagoesmodern

Greenie
Jul 27, 2013
Greene County
Detector(s) used
Currently borrowing one - looking to buy a good used one! Any ideas or good ones for sale out there? Also looking for good ideas of places to go detecting. Just started doing this the other day, bu
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread