Remembering Fishers 1260-X

C

Copper

Remembering Fisher's 1260-X

The year was 1982 and Fisher announced their new metal detector the 1260-X. When my machine finally arrived, I spent about 1 hour with it in my testing area, came back into the house, and put my other machines in the closet.

That detector was a dream come true. I returned to hunted out parks and it was like they had never been hunted before. I found loads of Barber Dimes, rings, and Indian Head pennies. I can remember days when I would have nearly 100 coins in my pocket within 4 or 5 hours of searching.

A lady in our church heard of my finds and asked me to search her yard for a ring she had lost years before. I agreed and started hunting under the eves of her house. I soon found about 7 or 8 coins. Most were really nice silver. One loud signal produced a very large silver foreign coin. When she saw it she started to cry. I felt really strange standing there beside her. She was about 3 times my age. Finally she told me how that had belonged to her husband (deceased). He had brought it back with him after WWII and soon lost it.

She asked if she could keep it and I said: "Lady, you're keeping all of them."

That was fun. I mean really fun! I'd be thrilled if all my hunts lead to me making somebody else happy like that. Yep, treasure hunting is great!

Copper? P.S. We never did find that ring.

Upvote 0
Re: Remembering Fisher's 1260-X

Good story, thanks for sharing with us!

Good story Cooper and your right the 1260 was a heck of a machine. We ran into a gentlemen 4 years ago at a school that was still using his.
hh

dave-enc said:
Good story Cooper and your right the 1260 was a heck of a machine. We ran into a gentlemen 4 years ago at a school that was still using his.
hh

I was wondering if anybody out there was still using the 1260-X. Actually, I sold mine in 84 to "move up" to a "more advanced" brand. That proved to be a big mistake. That detector was rock stable and easy on the arm. It's depth wasn't as great as today's top machines but it could nail coins at 3 1/2 inches with no problem. And, in our area, most coins are found at exactly 2 3/4 inches deep (assuming there's been no fill).

Thanks much to ALL for the comments!

Copper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back