Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember back before mode discrimination when we dug all likely sounding targets?

Recently I ran my Tesoro Tejon in all-metal mode just to remember the "good ol days." The depth was fantastic and the sound was sweet and clear but I soon put the knob back on discrimination mode.

I sometimes wonder about how much we're missing today because of mode discrimination.

What if we practiced with all-metal mode until we once again learned those special sounds we used to listen for back in the 60's?

Does anyone here ever do this?

Comment please! Do tell all.

Badger

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I now use an old Silver Sabre fitted with a 12x10 coil and run it very low on discrimination. The old Sabres discriminated out small iron trash and most tiny bits of foil even at zero discrimination.

The best detector I've owned yet for all-metal mode hunting is the Tesoro Tejon. It is clearly deeper in all-metal mode and has a nice smooth sound.

But due to such heavy trash and rules about no grass damage I'm forced to use a little discrimination at most sites.

Back in the early 60's while hunting parks we used all-metal mode only and about every 3 or 4th dig was at least a penny. Many days I went home with 80-100 coins. Most were wheats but we didn't mind.

But it is true, sometimes great targets can sound and read like trash. I've often wondered what I've passed up?

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread