Report Stolen Valor

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
As one of the hardest working Officers you never met, I can give you my experience on the actual medal awards (working joint Army & Air Force stuff- sorry Navy & Marines!). I did drink the kool-aid when it came to taking care of my men (sorry ladies, you weren't allowed in my AFSC/MOS). First, we have to look at the guy who did something to earn the award- difficult enough, right? Now you need an Officer to do the write-up and push the award up the chain. I encountered a multi-tiered system for how senior levels viewed (awarding) awards... but both belonged to the "church-of-downgrading". This was my first "battle". Once I was able to successfully fight downgrading, I hit my second skirmish: **** flows downhill- E-9s looked at E-8s and so on down to E-1s (and O-6s looked at O-5s etc). Nearly everyone in the chain had a belief that the next lower person could not possibly "earn" whatever medal was submitted. For example, only E-4s thru E-6s could earn a Commendation medal but NOT a Meritorious medal. This is a little different from "downgrading" in the sense that it was "rank-based" (only E-7s thru E-9s could get an MSM, BSM, etc). Okay, just writing this crap is enough to bring on PTSD... Suffice it to say if you got an award within a couple of month of PCS or discharge, you need to call your unit and buy a beer for the guy who advocated on your behalf! I would be happy to answer any questions!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep Shortstack
" After the Viet Nam War, I started meeting so many guys claiming to be ex-SEALs I thought I'd puke. After reading Marchenco's memoir, I learned some minor details that I've been able to work into conversations and tell if the person is a phoney. Those fools are trying to cash in on the reputations of better men than they.

One reason I don't particularly like Sylvester Stallone is he was hiding in college on an education deferment during Viet Nam; then, made his Rambo series as a misunderstood "hero". PUKE!!!!!

same as many other actor fakes , John Wayne, Ron Reagan, lots of chickenhawks , usually the loudest prowar voices too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread