RESEARCH TIME AGAIN.

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its almost time for research again. i am currently wondering if anyone knows of river boats that have sunk between little falls and anoka?? Any tip would be cool. Also if anyone wants to hunt and you live between alexandria and elk river give me a shout. i have a few nice old town spots and parks to do and i also love checking out new places to go. Hey staci from nd, give me a shout when your in alex would love to get out with some one. i usally hunt alone as there are not many near me. so to hunt with a buddy would be cool. also have a nice coin cache story to share but some other time. have a great day all , gb.

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I live in Big Lake and am always looking for the next great spot.
I'm looking at some potential around Anoka.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
dont it suck to live up here!! everyone else on here just about can still get out im sure. STUPID COLD!!!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Charles Stuart Wilson was born in Montreal, March 13, 1857; came to Minnesota in 1856 on the steamboat Lady Franklyn, which boat sank at Beef Slough this trip. All the passengers were transferred to steamer Falls City. No lives were lost, but much personal baggage and freight was lost, as the Lady Franklyn was soon a total wreck.
Is this near you?

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Elf said:
Charles Stuart Wilson was born in Montreal, March 13, 1857; came to Minnesota in 1856 on the steamboat Lady Franklyn, which boat sank at Beef Slough this trip. All the passengers were transferred to steamer Falls City. No lives were lost, but much personal baggage and freight was lost, as the Lady Franklyn was soon a total wreck.
Is this near you?

The only Beef Slough I could find was a historical marker in Wisconsin on the Chippewa River. I couldn't find any references in Minnesota.

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only steamboats I could find were

The War Eagle-burned at the confluence of the Black & Mississippi rivers May 15th 1870. I've read about people still finding artifacts from the ship in the LaCrosse area

The Ben Coursin-Struck & sunk by the steamer Key City (not sure on the name) August 24, 1857 near LaCrosse.

Northern Light-Struck ice in April 11,1866 in "Coon Slough" and sunk in thirty feet of water. The ship was on a run between LaCrosse and Brownsville.

Julia-Sank one to two miles from Mankato in May 1867

Galena-Burned and sank July 6, 1858.

GW Sparhawk-This ship either sank outside of St. Louis or near Nininger MN (I guess there was a bit of a discrepancy in the books).

If I find more I will re post this reply and add to it.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I would find a bait & tackle shop and ask the old timers, maybe find out where the loose a lot of tackle

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Grumpy old men was filmed in Wabasha I believe.
I sure miss the three old guys, they were so cool in that movie.

El_Capitan

Jul 26, 2007
LOL.. yes a great movie. As a diver, I've been looking to do a little in the more still waters. Not a big fan of rushing currents especially in the MN or MS rivers. I've seen alot of debris flow past me on some rescue dives and its not drifting slowly if you know what I mean. and on that note, does anyone know if the wrecks in the rivers are still there? Or has the current taken them downstream? I'd figure that most of the freight would be well into the Gulf of MX by now. But there's my maritime naivity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread