Research yields 1835 LC and buttons

revelingrelics

Greenie
Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post, but longtime digger. Maybe I should post in the intro forum, but wanted to share my finds from yesterday. I first wanted to say to those people detecting who read posts here everyday like I do and asking themselves how they too can find some awesome stuff like you see posted on TN everyday. I have one answer for you, research...and you shall find it. I too for several years would see these amazing finds people dig. As mostly a coin shooter in the beginning I started to yearn for something different. I loved history and wanted to dig items that I could connect to an event, a time period, and let the items tell a story. Research pays off. Recently i moved out of the city and built a house in a rural subdivision. Everyday, on the way home, I would drive by one of those Historical signs that you see dedicated to a historical event. The sign is on the county road and a 5 minute walk from my front porch. Little did I know what was in the ground I had been walking on for the first few years. The sign told the story of the rise and fall of a Canal town that existed from the early 1830's to 1870 and ceased to exist afterwards due to the railroad coming through. My research led to Plat maps of the Canal town. Laid transparently over current imagery in Google earth led to the discovery of over 50 cabins/homes spreading out over 60 acres. Lot numbers on the Plat led to deeds that attached the owners name. Many whom are buried in the pioneer cemetery across the street from me. Land is currently being developed and im racing against time to save as many relics as I can. Currently working a 5 acre field plot(still planted) that is for sale and lies between two new homes just down my street. Working it hard before seeding and after harvest since it could be sold at anytime. This lot was home to a blacksmith shop, stable, and his cabin. Many relics, buttons, tools, and a few coins have been pulled out so far. Luckily I stumbled across a document that had mentioned the town had changed its name for a period of 4 years shortly after its development. It then reverted back to its first name. Knowing the former name I was able to track down an additional Plat map at the Library of Congress. This was the oldest Plat map I found, but was the most exciting document found because it identified the location of the warehouse right on the canals bank. Permission has already been granted and will move on there when the current field I'm working gets seeded. I hope to post more finds in the future from my endeavor and hope to also contribute to this fine forum by helping others too. So with the end of this long winded post(sorry), I am posting finds from yesterday's hunt which are some buttons and an 1835 LC. I must mention cause I know it can be a controversial, the pics show one button and the LC having been subject to electrolysis. It is not recommended to do this with historically or valuable items. Thanks for looking and HH!
0f9b00cab052fe36610e2b9ac63226a3.jpg
fe7b91d06138e51146a8a80e4b0834ed.jpg
35cefb5c84e376938abc2065356444ea.jpg
9dff390fd2b7622e9a36b5f911c68b11.jpg
405ea38bbd0bdcc70424ad209b04a6b3.jpg
64e6f9201f9051ae22a68f6d44bc13cc.jpg
de36078fe8d98198f866dbb531137e3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey it's your coin and you can do what you want with it. I think it's beautiful and a good find. Congrats!

This is the 3rd 1830's LC I've seen posted in two days, including one I found yesterday. I did distilled water and a toothpick, followed by a dip in acetone and xylene. Vino told me of that technique.

Happy hunting

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. We all clean our items our own way. Some may harm potential value, but it's the owners choice. The value on corroded large cents isn't so great that it will make much of a difference. If you happen to find a 1793 Chain, Wreath, Strawberry Leaf or some other rare large cent this may be a different story. Looks like you have yourself a lot of detecting ahead of you. Research pays off.

OP
OP
R

revelingrelics

Greenie
Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your correct. There is a time and place for cleaning, whatever method you use. For me, historical significant items and rarer more valuable coins are off limits. Something like this field LC and buttons, I'll do everyday. The visual appeal is better since I display most of my finds in shadow boxes and wall displays. For the most part I don't see $$ signs, it's mostly the historical aspect of the hunt and putting together a display of misc items that tells a story to the average person who doesn't know any better. The Canal history in my town has been gathering interest over the past decade and there has even been a restoration of a interactive park in the town over where the towpath and canal bed is still visible. I have access to the original canal bed and towpath at my location where the warehouse was and eager to get there and see what I find later this month. Perhaps I will find some item worthy enough to be donated to our local historical museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome:occasion14:

Yes research is the key & finds are your to do as you wish, but you made the right point at the end & one I wanted to tell you when I saw the pictures - 'don't do this to your best stuff'. One day you will regret it, although you know better, so best of luck!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.
And iam glad you stopped just looking on here and started posting. I can tell the way you wrote your story, and the research you did you can contribute alot to this forum.
And im not even going to yell at you for zapping the coin..lol.
But food for thought, it took over 200 years for that stuff to look like that, and it was gone in 10min...lol.
Please keep posting, i like the way you write.
George

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us