Return to the 8R Site: 1785 VT Landscape and 1783 Nova Constellatio!!!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned two things on Saturday. The first is that bolt-cutters do not belong in a colonial site but are still occasionally found, and second that it really pays to cover your ground again! :laughing7:

Boltcutters.jpg

All of these finds (including the bolt-cutters) were from the same spot and in areas that I had already covered at least once and in a few cases multiple times. Unfortunately we still haven't had much rain so I'm sure I'm missing smaller and deeper targets, but for a 2 hour hunt it was tremendous. Almost right off the bat I found a coin that's near the top of my bucket list, a 1783 Nova Constellatio!

DSC08225.JPG DSC08227.JPG

It looks like a plow or some other earth mover hit it a long time ago, but the design is very well preserved and everything present and legible! I know these were probably minted after the date that appears on them, but to hold a coin that has the date 1783 and says "US" is just incredible.

Shortly after I dug that, another coin appeared with the familiar Vermont landscape features. This one had the date 1785 and was also in spectacular shape, but it wasn't until I got home and started cleaning and identifying it that I realized what I had:

DSC08232.JPG DSC08233.JPG

I looked at the varieties for 1785 and it seems I have a Ryder 3 which is listed as rare! How rare; according to Heritage Auctions perhaps only 50 or 60 surviving! :hello2: To find two landscape coppers at the same site and in such fantastic condition is already amazing, but for one to be a rarity even in the coin world is crazy!

Those were the only two coins to pop up, which is actually good since it means I got the lion's share in the first pass (don't want to be missing those good coins too often :laughing7:), but there were plenty of relics. Some decent period buttons popped up including another nice dandy with a pretty black patina.

DSC08242.JPG DSC08253.JPG DSC08244.JPG

I also found an 1830's brass flat with a ton of the gold gilt left on it. This included the maker: "Ira Smith & Co New York." I couldn't find too much online about the buttons, but there are mentions of a merchant by that name operating out of New York, so maybe it was a small batch ordered for advertising.

There was one more button that I thought was another plain convex, but after cleaning a design appeared. The etchings were very thin so its hard to make out between the patches of patina, but there's definitely an 8-pointed star and a design in the center of the star.

DSC08249.JPG DSC08257.JPG

I may be biased because I've been seeing it on so many coins and photos online, but it resembles an eye of providence to me. What do you guys think, and if so, what on earth would someone be doing with that on a button? I can't find anything like that online and it wasn't a masonic symbol until 1797 and based on the construction this button predates that.

Conspiracy theories aside, this hunt also produced my new oldest buckle: a 1660-1720 stud chape buckle!

DSC08235.JPG DSC08236.JPG

It's really tiny, but in great shape and one of my oldest finds ever! I also found this cool pocket knife that unfortunately broke apart, but has some interesting floral designs along the brass sides.

DSC08237.JPG DSC08238.JPG

There were also quite a few more bits of melted metal including one that appears to be a partially melted shoe buckle fragment and a lead rod. I'm now very sure that this was a small foundry and that might also explain the large amount of coinage.

DSC08222.JPG DSC08223.JPG DSC08224.JPG

There were also a few odd brass pieces:

DSC08239.JPG DSC08240.JPG DSC08241.JPG

Not sure what either one is from, but the first is very ornate in quite heavy.

I suspect that the dry soil and iron is masking a lot of the smaller targets. Even big pieces of brass that were 4 inches down would read far under their usual signal on the Deus and some targets were barely audible at 6 inches. I think if I hit this ground in early spring it'll be like a brand-new site again, but until then I think the high-grass areas are becoming very enticing. I may have to do so mowing because there's no way I can wait until next Spring to cover the rest of this site!

Upvote 30

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
banner,banner,banner this is a banner site very great hunt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed, I wish I had soil like yours, they look great!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Another great VT Landscape! Awesome! Plus a Nova ! Stud chape buckle too. Those are 3 items still on my wish list. I have a VT but not a Landscape.....you have two absolutely gorgeous specimens. :icon_thumright:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing site! Incredible coins to boot. The Vermont Landscape needs to be up top for sure. Congrats!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some incredible coins! The buttons aren't too bad either.

You've got yourself a real honey hole of a site. Good luck.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice indeed, I wish I had soil like yours, they look great!

Thank you! I wish I were able to dig in soil like this more often too! Most of the 18th century coppers I pull out of the ground are barely identifiable even with careful cleaning and preservation. It's just a one in a million spot where the ground conditions were right and there actually happened to be lost coins too. Usually I can manage just one or the other. :laughing7:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just an amazing site! Congratulations on the stellar finds.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State-issued coppers in amazing condition on 1st and 2nd trips! Man, you're living the dream! :hello2:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
What a site! Those coppers are beautiful sir. Big congrats.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic, once again. The soil is really kind to those coppers!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding series of hunts! :notworthy:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was to make a wish list of pre 1800 coins these 2 would be right up near the top. Congrats on an incredible site

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was to make a wish list of ore 1800 coins these 2 would be right up near the top. Congrats on an incredible site

:laughing7: It's funny, a pine tree shilling is at the top of my fantasy wish list, but I think you have a better chance of digging these in Maine than I do of digging one of those shilling in New York!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing site and the condition of those coppers couldn't be any better!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: It's funny, a pine tree shilling is at the top of my fantasy wish list, but I think you have a better chance of digging these in Maine than I do of digging one of those shilling in New York!

Well my friend I believe the only NE Shilling was dug in New York. When I dug the pine tree Shilling I thought I was going to find one every couple years. Turns out that’s maybe not the case lol

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my friend I believe the only NE Shilling was dug in New York.

That's certainly good news. Lately I've learned anything is possible in the next plug!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread