Return to the 8R Site: 1785 VT Landscape and 1783 Nova Constellatio!!!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned two things on Saturday. The first is that bolt-cutters do not belong in a colonial site but are still occasionally found, and second that it really pays to cover your ground again! :laughing7:

Boltcutters.jpg

All of these finds (including the bolt-cutters) were from the same spot and in areas that I had already covered at least once and in a few cases multiple times. Unfortunately we still haven't had much rain so I'm sure I'm missing smaller and deeper targets, but for a 2 hour hunt it was tremendous. Almost right off the bat I found a coin that's near the top of my bucket list, a 1783 Nova Constellatio!

DSC08225.JPG DSC08227.JPG

It looks like a plow or some other earth mover hit it a long time ago, but the design is very well preserved and everything present and legible! I know these were probably minted after the date that appears on them, but to hold a coin that has the date 1783 and says "US" is just incredible.

Shortly after I dug that, another coin appeared with the familiar Vermont landscape features. This one had the date 1785 and was also in spectacular shape, but it wasn't until I got home and started cleaning and identifying it that I realized what I had:

DSC08232.JPG DSC08233.JPG

I looked at the varieties for 1785 and it seems I have a Ryder 3 which is listed as rare! How rare; according to Heritage Auctions perhaps only 50 or 60 surviving! :hello2: To find two landscape coppers at the same site and in such fantastic condition is already amazing, but for one to be a rarity even in the coin world is crazy!

Those were the only two coins to pop up, which is actually good since it means I got the lion's share in the first pass (don't want to be missing those good coins too often :laughing7:), but there were plenty of relics. Some decent period buttons popped up including another nice dandy with a pretty black patina.

DSC08242.JPG DSC08253.JPG DSC08244.JPG

I also found an 1830's brass flat with a ton of the gold gilt left on it. This included the maker: "Ira Smith & Co New York." I couldn't find too much online about the buttons, but there are mentions of a merchant by that name operating out of New York, so maybe it was a small batch ordered for advertising.

There was one more button that I thought was another plain convex, but after cleaning a design appeared. The etchings were very thin so its hard to make out between the patches of patina, but there's definitely an 8-pointed star and a design in the center of the star.

DSC08249.JPG DSC08257.JPG

I may be biased because I've been seeing it on so many coins and photos online, but it resembles an eye of providence to me. What do you guys think, and if so, what on earth would someone be doing with that on a button? I can't find anything like that online and it wasn't a masonic symbol until 1797 and based on the construction this button predates that.

Conspiracy theories aside, this hunt also produced my new oldest buckle: a 1660-1720 stud chape buckle!

DSC08235.JPG DSC08236.JPG

It's really tiny, but in great shape and one of my oldest finds ever! I also found this cool pocket knife that unfortunately broke apart, but has some interesting floral designs along the brass sides.

DSC08237.JPG DSC08238.JPG

There were also quite a few more bits of melted metal including one that appears to be a partially melted shoe buckle fragment and a lead rod. I'm now very sure that this was a small foundry and that might also explain the large amount of coinage.

DSC08222.JPG DSC08223.JPG DSC08224.JPG

There were also a few odd brass pieces:

DSC08239.JPG DSC08240.JPG DSC08241.JPG

Not sure what either one is from, but the first is very ornate in quite heavy.

I suspect that the dry soil and iron is masking a lot of the smaller targets. Even big pieces of brass that were 4 inches down would read far under their usual signal on the Deus and some targets were barely audible at 6 inches. I think if I hit this ground in early spring it'll be like a brand-new site again, but until then I think the high-grass areas are becoming very enticing. I may have to do so mowing because there's no way I can wait until next Spring to cover the rest of this site!

Upvote 30

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow dude, the early American coppers you've pulled here are extraordinary! It's gotta be a rare site indeed where a great condition 8 Reales is overshadowed by multiple different coppers!

Those Vermont Landscapes are such wonderful coins, lovely design and beautiful patina. Congrats and good luck sniffing more historically potent coins out of the spot, ya owe us a Bar Cent next!:thumbsup:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can’t even comprehend the combination of the condition of those finds with the bucket-list rarity. Amazing site and good on you for securing the permission.

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote for the bolt cutters. Amazing find! Paleo you’ve been killing it the last couple weeks. Your on a steak and I can’t wait to see what you find next! Those coins are killer

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! GREAT looking VT.! The Nova is a Crosby 2-B. That VT. has great detail, well struck, on a nice planchet. This is the one.(RR-3), we sold for $1200.00 this spring......

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 35
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 40

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding a wonderful virgin site! I've dug a number of 18th century coppers over the years, but a VT State Copper remains on my bucket list. I know I'm close - heck I live in the darn state! Those coins are just a detectors dream! Your first shot of the site looks like there's some well drained, sloped land there. From experience, my better coppers have come from these type of well drained sites (i.e. the coin isn't sitting in moisture half the year). FWIW the last metal item you posted at bottom is a colonial saddle strap guide.

john

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! GREAT looking VT.! The Nova is a Crosby 2-B. That VT. has great detail, well struck, on a nice planchet. This is the one.(RR-3), we sold for $1200.00 this spring......

Thank you! I love the dark patina on your VT and the relief is super high. I bet that one didn't circulate long before it was dropped! I didn't realize dug coppers would fetch such high prices. I know it's a rare variety, but I figured the numismatic world wasn't that into metal detecting finds.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW the last metal item you posted at bottom is a colonial saddle strap guide.

Thank you!!! That one was bugging the heck out of me. It was one of the deepest targets I recovered at 6 inches and oddly it rang in the 60s on the Deus which is very low. It's why I suspect that I'm missing a ton of small targets just below the 4" layer and as soon as we get some rain I'll be finding lots more!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I love the dark patina on your VT and the relief is super high. I bet that one didn't circulate long before it was dropped! I didn't realize dug coppers would fetch such high prices. I know it's a rare variety, but I figured the numismatic world wasn't that into metal detecting finds.
I prefer to sell my big $ finds. Some do not. It's all good. That coin would probably fetch more than mine or at least as much. I'm guessing more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread