Return to the b17 crash site

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Hello all. I haven't posted in awhile. Its getting REALLY cold in the garage, and thats where I clean everything. Bammer and I went back to the crashed b17 G and found a few more things. Where we have been hunting is where the cockpit area landed. The plane blew up over the woods, so there are areas all over the place where stuff can be found. One of the engines and the tail section landed in a field on the other side of the hill, and was taken away a long time ago.

We found a lot of 50 cal rounds with no casings. They melted with the intense heat, and 98% of the bullet tips we found there are bursted. I did find more of seat cushion or flight gear leather, some cotton stuffing, many THICK pieces of glass from the windshield (there is even some black weather stripping residue on the lower edge), thinner glass from some of the other windows, a piece of plexiglass (I am not sure where it would of been, turret maybe?), many bolts, wire bits, a couple toggle switches, pieces of instruments, and even the top part of a seatbelt. I think one of the coolest things is a navigators compass tool (thats what it looks like anyway). I am pretty sure that the 50 cals are still out there, according to the reports one local boy found one after the crash, but it burned his hands since it was hot from the fire. He went out and buried it somewhere.. so if one made it down in one piece there is a good chance of finding at least 1.

I am trying to go detect as much as I can since I just found out that I am going to Iraq soon.. Don't know any dates yet, but I am sure I will find out here soon. I will post picts from the new area bammer and I hunted yesterday after I clean up the stuff. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!!

Here is a pict of some bullet linkage and some bullet tips. The complete bullet was found away from the area we were digging, so it must of been thrown after impact.
bullets.jpg

Here are some bits of cable and other various parts
cables.jpg

Some cockpit stuff. I am not sure what they are, I think a few are adjustment dials or parts of the instraments. The piece to the top right is HEAVY brass.. even the little brass washers are still in place.
cockpit pieces.jpg

Navigators compass?? I dunno but its possible.
compass.jpg

Various pieces of glass. Some pieces are 3/4s an inch thick! The piece to the top right is plexiglass.
glass.jpg

Some hose clamps
hose clamps.jpg

Melted pieces of plane.. the one piece at the bottom is the only piece I found unmelted.. even has blue/gray paint on it still
pieces.jpg

The top of a seat belt buckle
seat belt piece.jpg

Seat or flight gear parts. The plastic piece at the tops looks like it was part of a map document case? Its that really thin see though plastic
seat parts.jpg

Here are some toggle switches, or parts of some. The one has a white dot on it.
toggle switches.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and interesting finds for what they are, a B17 jigsaw puzzle, LOL! If and when we get out, you can have all that stuff I find. My main interest is Bronze Age through Celtic, Roman and Medieval. A B17 crash site would be an interesting hunt though. HH, Mike

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
I should be around for a few mths, I hope. There are some areas up by me that may interest you... celtic areas and what not. I'll take any stuff you don't want. I look forward to huting with you :)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Those are very interesting finds. I'd love to go on that type of hunt. That unburned piece of plane is a real keeper in my book. WTG bro, and keep hitting that place.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
That's an interesting post; I haven't been around long enough to remember previous stories about this B17. Did the crew make it out before the crash? Were they taken prisoner? Best wishes on your deployment to Iraq.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Viper, Interesting Finds, Congrats. Some Advice From An Old Vet, " KEEP YOUR HEAD LOWER THAN YOUR BUTT AND KEEP YOUR BUTT COVERED WITH STEEL". Let Us Know When You Get Back To The World. trk5capt...

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
halfdime said:
That's an interesting post; I haven't been around long enough to remember previous stories about this B17. Did the crew make it out before the crash? Were they taken prisoner? Best wishes on your deployment to Iraq.

The plane wasn't named. It was piloted by Bristol Stearling. It was on the way to bomb a rail yard (Ill have to look up where again) but was called back due to a bad storm. It swung around and a flak battery in Kindsbach got it. It was full of incindiary bombs and blew up. Everyone bailed out but the pilot.. 2 of the guys who bailed out were killed by parts of the plane as they were on their way down in their chutes. The others were picked up and sent to a nearby camp before being sent to one of the stalagluft camps. The rest were buried in the cemetary in Kusel. The plane crashed in the winterhell forest that is right by the city. I will have to re read the repots since its been awhile. I was able to email one of the crew members sons and ask him some questions which was really cool. The guys dad was almost killed since one of the town guards was too lazy to bring him to the police station, but this little kid who saw him come down was the one who captured him.. so it was his prisoner, which saved his life. The kid told the guy to back off. Very interesting story. There are many plane crashes in my area that I would love to check out.

I will let you all know before I have to leave.. hopefully there is enough time to hit some of my new sites! Happy Hunting!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! Very interesting story Viper!

Congrats on those finds and thank you for your service! :)

Take care! Nana

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was wondering were you been thought you blew your foot off or something more important ;D

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
EDDEKALB said:
was wondering were you been thought you blew your foot off or something more important ;D

Oh no haven't done that yet lol.. been playing it safe disarming stuff and digging up things. I have a TON of stuff in the garage. Just not enough warm weather and time to clean it all up yet :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I'll be driving through that area tomorrow but will not have much time, probably toss the detector in the car just in case. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread