Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trip to CW battlefield site gets an "F"

Got permission last week from the pastor to detect around the church parsonage (1920's). The church is located in the middle of a Civil War battlefield. I had HIGH hopes.

I quickly discovered that the whole area had been heavily re-landscaped. Found a couple bucks in clad and a 1947 dime. Found an aluminum letter "F" - the kind you stick on a mailbox - at about 6 inches. At that point, I pretty much gave up any chance of finding relics.

Found out today that they tore down the parsonage in preparation for a new building. I thought I'd head over and see what was underneath... Guess what?!? A BASEMENT!!!

Oh well...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Trip to CW battlefield site gets an "F"

I'd detect the less obvious places on a property like that - there's got to be something somewhere in the ground there~

HH

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

I agree...off in the outskirts, around big trees (they probably didn't pile dirt up around the trees), near the road and driveway, etc...

OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'd detect the less obvious places on a property like that - there's got to be something somewhere in the ground there~

I agree. I'll go back there. I was told there were 4 houses on the property that were demolished over the years. I can see some places where the trees are very mature. I only had permission to detect around the parsonage.

I think I missed my BIG chance when they clear the land behind the church about 6 weeks ago to build a hi-rise. They took several FEET of soil off to level the property. There is only a couple undeveloped of acres left (the battlefield park) of the original 115 donated to the county.

they going to tear the basement up also
I'm sure the basement hole will be filled. Or they maybe they will dig for underground parking. If that's the case, I'll be there.

DCMatt

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

Matt, Been There Done That, Got The T-Shirt And The Matching Sweat-Shirt, But The Next Time Out At The Same Site I Find Relics, Go Figure! trk5capt...

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

for some reason my entire post did not show up. :'(.....let me finish it now. Are they going to tear the basement up also? if so, that should be an interesting place to detect.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Aw, heck... I was hoping you'd scored a hat letter like this one:

Attachments

• F hat.jpg
    F hat.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 262

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

The "F" stands for Fantastic try! Never give up.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have had several missed opportunity sites like that, it happens. Gotta do it when you have the chance and don't hesitate! At least you got a silver dime, congrats on that! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread