REV WAR SHIPBUILDERS TOOL WITH BROAD ARROW

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone, What a day. I found a nice old tool and bone handled knife diving today. When I cleaned the tool not only did it have a makers mark but owners initials, broad arrow and date!! 17??. The sailors bone handle knife is near mint and I also found some kind of brass and copper cage? Possibly for measuring powder? The only problem is I dropped my booty bag on the way back to my Zodiac and it had 2 coins and 5 or 6 good buttons. I'll be going back for that!!

Last edited:
Upvote 2

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score! The tool I believe is called a slick. Knife is way cool and I have not a clue what the brass item is but curious.
Funny how you lost your ditty bag. I have a theory that found items are soon lost as that what happens to my tools.
thanks for sharing-

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone, What a day. I found a nice old tool and bone handled knife diving today. When I cleaned the tool not only did it have a makers mark but owners initials, broad arrow and date!! 17??. The sailors bone handle knife is near mint and I also found some kind of brass and copper cage? Possibly for measuring powder? The only problem is I dropped my booty bag on the way back to my Zodiac and it had 2 coins and 5 or 6 good buttons. I'll be going back for that!!

Looks like a good site. Too bad you didn't make any good finds.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!! Well done.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece we also call it the 'Crows Foot' mark:thumbsup:

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!
I love the knife. Is it salvageable? Will it open or will you be able to get it open?
I found an old pocket knife once (Purina feeds from the 1970's I think). It came out of the ground fairly corroded, but as time went on, the handles shrunk until they were less than half-size and unreadable.
In my arrowhead collecting days, I learned that in order to preserve bone, teeth, etc, you had to keep them damp until you could get home & soak them in a solution of Elmer's glue & water for a day or two. It preserved them really well. I wonder if that works on the bone handles of knifes, etc as well?

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!
I love the knife. Is it salvageable? Will it open or will you be able to get it open?
I found an old pocket knife once (Purina feeds from the 1970's I think). It came out of the ground fairly corroded, but as time went on, the handles shrunk until they were less than half-size and unreadable.
In my arrowhead collecting days, I learned that in order to preserve bone, teeth, etc, you had to keep them damp until you could get home & soak them in a solution of Elmer's glue & water for a day or two. It preserved them really well. I wonder if that works on the bone handles of knifes, etc as well?
I lost a good canine tooth like that once. It was about 18" deep in the ground near a Native American campsite. I put it in my pocket & when I went to pull it out later, I had a handful of powder.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost a good canine tooth like that once. It was about 18" deep in the ground near a Native American campsite. I put it in my pocket & when I went to pull it out later, I had a handful of powder.

yeap contact with air can be a *****

OP
OP
CanDiver

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeap contact with air can be a *****

Hi, I'll soak them in olive oil for 1 week, then dry them off and coat them with conservators wax. It works great. The knife will never open but its cool the way it is for display.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some really nice goodies but you got to get that booty bag back there mate. Are you diving rivers or lakes?
ZDD

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could the brass item be a sailmaker's hook? The slick might also be an iron for driving tarred oakum into the spaces between planks in a ship's hull to keep them watertight. Very nice finds indeed.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that cold water keeps those relics in amazing condition! Nicely done!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread