REV WAR USA CONTINENTAL ARMY BUTTON

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MIKE(FORINO) AND MYSELF HEADED UP TO SOME SITES WE HAVE HUNTED IN THE PAST. WE FANNED OUT FURTHER FROM THE HOLE THIS TIME.MY FIRST TARGET WAS A LEAD SHOT.ABOUT 15 MINS LATER I GOT A LARGE COPPER(MASSACHUSETTS STATE COPPER) THIS IS MY FIRST MASS COPPER.I WILL TRY AND CLEAN IT UP LATER.SOAKING NOW.
I ALSO DUG A PEWTER BUTTON AND WHEN I FLIPPED IT OVER I SAW THE LETTER "A" ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BUTTON.I KNEW RIGHT AWAY WHAT I WAS HOLDING A REVOLUTIONARY WAR CONTINENTAL ARMY BUTTON.THE U AND MOST OF THE S IS WORN OFF BUT A FIRST FOR ME AND GOING RIGHT INTO MY SHADOW BOX.
MIKE DIDN'T FARE SO WELL.HE GOT A QUEEN ELIZABETH STEEL BACKED BUTTON.IT'S A LARGE ONE AND I FORGOT TO TAKE A PIC
OVERALL A GREAT DAY OUT!
HAPPY HUNTING ALL!
i will post massachusetts copper and see how well it will clean up soon.
dave

Attachments

• usa button 1 [].jpg
    usa button 1 [].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,996
  • usa button 2 [].jpg
    usa button 2 [].jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,005
  • JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 10 [].jpg
    JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 10 [].jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,975
  • JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 14 [].jpg
    JULY 26TH CELLAR HOLE 14 [].jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,002
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave,

You and mike are doing great! The button looks great!

I told Mike I was going to be nearby this weekend, but it looks like detecting is not going to fit into the schedule.

Happy Hunting, and good luck with the button!

Neil

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"

Iron Patch

Detector used:
Explorer

"Tice is no question an expert, but are you talking about the British Button Society? Not sure why you think they would be better to contact than the better known American collectors."

Hello ironpatch. Not quite sure where you gotr the above from...it wasn't from me. I suggested the "National Button Society". http://www.nationalbuttonsociety.org/2009_Show_Schedules.html

"Tice is no question an expert, but are you talking about the British Button Society?"

Iron

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
"

Iron Patch

Detector used:
Explorer

"Tice is no question an expert, but are you talking about the British Button Society? Not sure why you think they would be better to contact than the better known American collectors."

Hello ironpatch. Not quite sure where you gotr the above from...it wasn't from me. I suggested the "National Button Society". http://www.nationalbuttonsociety.org/2009_Show_Schedules.html

"Tice is no question an expert, but are you talking about the British Button Society?"

Iron

I was just asking what button society you were referring to.

I can pretty much guarantee when those guys have a Rev War button question they go to Troiani. I don't often have questions I need answered but both Don T. and George Juno know what they're talking about. You can't collect on their level without knowing what you're doing. I would of course consider Warren Tice an expert as well but not sure how involved he is in what has come about for Rev War relics/ buttons over the last 10 years. I know the two I mentioned have been around.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely the National Button Society would only refer to contact Mr Tice or one of the other collectors mentioned, the NBS are more into more recent buttons (Civilian) overall in my opinion.
I contacted the NBS back in the mid 90s concerning my USTE button and they just referred me to contact Mr Tice, which is what I did at that time.

I did ask another major collector to look at this post but I have not heard back from him yet.

The USA button is a great find, would love to find one myself, have seen quite a few posted on different forums over the years, with the 1776 one(perhaps two of them being posted) being the most outstanding ones of the series.

Don

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you have a picture of the Mass cent? I would love to see it! :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Do you have a picture of the Mass cent? I would love to see it! :icon_thumleft:

Kirk
yeah but its in not that good shape.

Attachments

49.6 KB · Views: 740
    49.6 KB · Views: 737
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still working on the massachusetts copper.the black crust does not want to let go of this coin.never seen anything so cement like in my life!
looks like my button isn't gonna make the banner huh? :dontknow:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MYO. Darn shame this isn't on the Banner as it has, I'm sure, received plenty of votes to qualify. :protest:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
still working on the massachusetts copper.the black crust does not want to let go of this coin.never seen anything so cement like in my life!

sometimes, and its happened to me with a few extremely rare finds, it does get what it deserves. Equally your probably get a banner for a find you think doesn't deserve it. Its a mystery to me :-\

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CRUSADER said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:

sometimes, and its happened to me with a few extremely rare finds, it does get what it deserves. Equally your probably get a banner for a find you think doesn't deserve it. Its a mystery to me :-\
yeah i guess you are right. i see $40 roman coins which are a dime a dozen it seems.here is a piece of american history from our forefathers who fought so bravely for our Independence and no banner?i don't get this site and whoever makes the decisions on the banner nominees?
:icon_scratch: :dontknow: ??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: ???

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NJ Marty said:
I vote banner, a great peice of history indeed. It is much more impressive than a diamond ring in my book and deserves its place up top.
Marty
THANKS!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
CRUSADER said:
HEAVYMETALNUT said:

yeah i guess you are right. i see $40 roman coins which are a dime a dozen it seems.here is a piece of american history from our forefathers who fought so bravely for our Independence and no banner?i don't get this site and whoever makes the decisions on the banner nominees?
:icon_scratch: :dontknow: ??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow: ???
You are also a relatively new member. This may have something to do with it. Don't get discouraged about what things are posted on the banner. It's really NOT that big a deal. You'll find a true Banner find at some point. Relax......The Hogge :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the button is amazing. And a MA copper is elusive (from what I can tell). But more importantly, the button needs to be shined up and looked upon for years to come.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sniffy said:
I think the button is amazing. And a MA copper is elusive (from what I can tell). But more importantly, the button needs to be shined up and looked upon for years to come.
THANKS SNIFFY!
what part of CT you in?
dave

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heavymetal, I think sniffy was not literal in saying "shine up" that button (don't!). Anyway, don't be discouraged, because you found something extremely rare and historic. The fact that it is so rare and OBSCURE is partly why such things don't get all the votes we sometimes think they may deserve. You have already found a banner find in my book and anyone else's book who spends their adult life hoping to find such a piece of history. (......now it's your turn to tell me how my one of two known Monroe buttons is "banner" as far as you're concerned also....and we can have a party! :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :tongue3:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread