OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your review! Any particular reason you sold the E-trac but kept the Garretts and Deus?
Yes. I felt the CTX bettered the E-Trac in detection. I kept the Deus because it is easier to pack, faster, and lighter, although not deeper than the CTX (good for site recon). I kept the Garrett's because they are also lighter, waterproof, and I like the iron audio feature. The AT's easier to use and a good detector to lend to someone who don't have them...

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for a great review. I'm seriously considering purchasing this machine and your article has been very helpful.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for a great review. I'm seriously considering purchasing this machine and your article has been very helpful.

Gone Hunting is THE MAN when it comes to the Minelab CTX 3030. If you guys knew half the stuff he has dug you would hate him just like I do! lol

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still find it odd jumping between modes that big silver gets different ID's.
I wish Minelab would FIX that if it needs it?

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreenMeanie said:
I still find it odd jumping between modes that big silver gets different ID's.
I wish Minelab would FIX that if it needs it?

Aside from that, how do you like the machine? Pros and cons?

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to love the fact I can use it in water and land I always wanted that feature and minelab answered that for us. I personally wanted a detector for Surf and Land all in one Detector.
It is faster on Targets so you can sweep the coil faster than the older minelabs.
Depth is about the same as the Etrac and Sov from what I seen so far.
I personally was hunting in COMBINED mode but now I am going to try 50 CO tones because on deep targets it sounds better to me than combined tones.
I did get the stuck shaft from sand which I thought my detector was pretty clean so surprised it jammed on me but it did come free with some force.
I never use the GPS feature so can't comment on that.
Over all a decent detector and I love you can update the machine for FREE unlike when I owned the Whites Spectra and you have to send and pay for them to patch it for you which I kind of found greedy and a waste of my time waiting for the detector to get there and back.

COINS seem to flow to close in numbers making pennies seem like a dime,quarter ETC ETC So guessing targets before I dig them are sometimes wrong more than I like them to be LOL. I wouldn't feel comfortable BLOCKING out PENNIES because I think I would be missing other coins I want that seem to read the same numbers or pretty close quite often for me.
Magic wand NO. Good Machine YES.
I haven't hit the depths some guys are posting maybe my soil conditions but I get about the same depth I did on other detectors I have owned in the areas I hunt.
I am thinking the more I use it the more it is going to grow on me.

Aside from that, how do you like the machine? Pros and cons?

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with that also... The more I use it the more I like it.. Now that I have had it for a while now, I feel more comfortable that I am not leaving good targets.. I do see a little of a lag in ground that has a lot of coal but I took the 6 inch and with a higher sensitivity than Auto +3, I seem to be finding more good targets in that particular soil... I still rely heavily on the combined/ferrous coin for relic and coin hunting in the older yards.. I use it with a 50 tone in the previous mode button to better id the type of coin. To me the combined seems to give a more stable signal in the more trashy areas. If i am just straight coin hunting where there isn't a lot of iron, I like the 50 tone with more discrimination..
I have noticed, on the 6 inch coil, at least for me, on the signals past 6 inches(according to the depth meter) if it is iffy, I really have to pay close attention to it. Just about skipped over 2 silver dimes here recently that almost id'd as rusty nails and kept going.
I can't tell you how much the gps feature is a huge help in relic hunting in the woods and open lots. I do wish there was a way to put an actual photo of the Google map on the map screen, but that isn't that important.
I also see a merging of the pennies(zinc and copper) with some dimes especially the older ones.. Even in 50 tone/ low trash. I haven't experimented with ground coin and am going to try it more this winter....
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent review and awesome finds...Maybe in a few years I can afford a used CTX by then I'm sure there will be a CTXXPro 8080 for $3500.:tongue3:

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent review and awesome finds...Maybe in a few years I can afford a used CTX by then I'm sure there will be a CTXXPro 8080 for $3500.:tongue3:
I sent you a message..

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

at least you wont be alone

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonehunting, would you say the biggest con of the ctx is depth?

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonehunting, would you say the biggest con of the ctx is depth?

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't say depth.. I have dug some eleven and 12 inch wheats at my old homeplace. The biggest con for me is square or rusty bent nails at depths past 9.. Sometimes if I'm not paying close attention I get fooled... If I double check them from another angle they are recognizable. I still dig them because they are deep targets, but I haven't been surprised yet with a good target when I have...

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonehunting said:
I wouldn't say depth.. I have dug some eleven and 12 inch wheats at my old homeplace. The biggest con for me is square or rusty bent nails at depths past 9.. Sometimes if I'm not paying close attention I get fooled... If I double check them from another angle they are recognizable. I still dig them because they are deep targets, but I haven't been surprised yet with a good target when I have...

Cool. Thx for the clarification. I'd be surprised if I haven't ordered one by years end. Everywhere I go is junky so this seems like a great remedy.

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I really love mine. Let me know if you need any help. I have a combined/ferrous coin program that has helped a lot of beginners and seasoned guys alike.. When you get in the market pm me...

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gone hunting, Thanks for taking the time posting the review on the CTX 3030. I have been using an Explorer XS for 10+ years and I'm still finding the occasional civil war bullet and button in my front yard that has been beat to death. It is time for an upgrade and the CTX 3030 is at the top of my list. I haven't used many type of detectors but have found my fair share of treasure. I live in the middle of a very rural and historical part of the deep southeast and feel there is plenty of opportunity for me to dig more before progress covers it up. I'm hoping there wouldn't be as much of a learning curve to this as I had with the Explorer, I'm still learning with it. I do like Minelab detectors. Does the build quality meet your expectations with function and durability? I tend to use things for a while, I'd have to for the price of it. The only worry I have is the weight of it.

Thanks

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hoping there wouldn't be as much of a learning curve to this as I had with the Explorer, I'm still learning with it. I do like Minelab detectors. Does the build quality meet your expectations with function and durability? I tend to use things for a while, I'd have to for the price of it. The only worry I have is the weight of it.

Thanks
If you have learned the Explorer, then picking up on the CTX will not be that hard.. The hardest part about learning the Minelab's are the sounds. With what I am seeing is that learning to trust the solid signals and not trying to make a bad tone sound good. The screen(with target trace) really helps with the signals that sound good(repeatable), especially when it is tin or large rusty pieces..
I honestly don't think all of the functionality has been released by Minelab. There are some options on the horizon that will further the advancement of this machine.. One recently was the beach mode. I have been hearing a lot of good from the Beach hunters that are using it. With all the circuitry I just think there is more in store for this detector..
JMO I would not recommend using the stock coin mode.. at least for me it wasn't stable enough in the area I was hunting to comprehend what the machine was saying. Now that I have had it for a while I have a similar program but it is definitely modified. Every user will have his/her own preference, so it may be different for you. The first program I started with(combined/ferrous coin-Gonehunting's setting) is the same one I still use. It isn't an advanced setting so a first time user can use it and be successful. Coupled with a second program of a 50 tone (in the user last program used option) has become a very productive technique for me, especially going from coin to relic hunting and back.
The durability.. so far it has survived hunting with me and I will be honest I am pretty hard on equipment. I will recommend at least using a screen protector. I use a cell phone gel skin that is a little thicker. I don't have problems seeing the screen.
If the Explorer was heavy then the CTX is also heavy but.. and this is the good thing, the balance makes a heck of a lot of difference. If you use the CTX for about a half day then pick up the Explorer or E-Trac, they will feel awkward in your hand almost cumbersome. The CTX just rides better and the comfort level shot way up for me. If you ask a previous Minelab owner that has a CTX they will probably say the same thing.
Let me know if you have any more questions...
Evan
Gonehunting for History

TN/SC

Jun 13, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GH

I have had the CTX for three days now and tried hunting in the programed modes (relic mode) with the TT and switching back and forth between manual and auto sensitivity. I wasn't pleased at all, I was trying to use it like an explorer. While I dug a few good targets the junk was killing me. It was awkward in pinpointing and recovery too, I really liked the X1 probe, I'm using the garrett probe and there is usually multiple targets per hole. The trashy the better for me, as this keeps most folks away. Anyhow after hours of google and reading, your name kept coming up. I loaded the combined program with your tutorial available on video. Just doing this I understand it a bit more and look forward to getting proficient with the CTX. Failure is not an option. Deer season closes Jan 1, can't wait to get in the woods here as thats our prime time hunting. I hope to have it down by then, or at least enough to make me glad I have the CTX. I'll try again tomorrow.

HH

Phillip

I wish minelab would get onboard and use the mac platform too.

WildDigger

Sep 22, 2012
Winder Ga
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 & At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonehunting said:
Well I really love mine. Let me know if you need any help. I have a combined/ferrous coin program that has helped a lot of beginners and seasoned guys alike.. When you get in the market pm me...

Mine will be here today it was delayed by a day. I plan on using your program and will up load it tonight after I take it for a short spin.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GH

I have had the CTX for three days now and tried hunting in the programed modes (relic mode) with the TT and switching back and forth between manual and auto sensitivity. I wasn't pleased at all, I was trying to use it like an explorer. While I dug a few good targets the junk was killing me. It was awkward in pinpointing and recovery too, I really liked the X1 probe, I'm using the garrett probe and there is usually multiple targets per hole. The trashy the better for me, as this keeps most folks away. Anyhow after hours of google and reading, your name kept coming up. I loaded the combined program with your tutorial available on video. Just doing this I understand it a bit more and look forward to getting proficient with the CTX. Failure is not an option. Deer season closes Jan 1, can't wait to get in the woods here as thats our prime time hunting. I hope to have it down by then, or at least enough to make me glad I have the CTX. I'll try again tomorrow.

HH

Phillip

I wish minelab would get onboard and use the mac platform too.

I actually had the opposite experience as you. Took mine out for the first time yesterday. Now, I am completely foreign to the Minelab experience. So all the numbers and tones don't mean much right now except for what I have seen in videos. I downloaded a program called "Old Coins Old Site" which I used for 3 hours yesterday (first time out). I found the target separation was amazing. Dug 24 pennies (23 modern, 1 wheat) a few other clad and NO JUNK at all. Got a couple TBD relics. That being said, I have no idea what I missed and found nothing below 5 inches. Compared with my Garrett ACE 350 which went bonkers over all the pulltab and foil signals, so I did skip all the junk; and maybe some gold and nickels?? Dunno. Still have lots of learning to do. I did after only 1 minute find a tiny button (half the size of a dime) about 8 inches deep with my Garrett. But nothing else was showing deep on the property... so basically a good day out. But yes, big learning curve for the winter!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread