Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got up before the sun did this morning, and decided to check on a permission north of here, and at the western edge of todays snow belt. I was just going to look, honest. It's a pretty big farm. We have been finding some Civil War and more modern items in the area, which was settled before the Revolution. Even got a few Zincolns the farmer must have dropped. Or something like that. Anyway, I got there about 7:15 just to check to see if anything had been done as I've invited a couple folks to dig and its a big farm, but the relics seem to be concentrated on two hilltops. There have been other, much later goodies found there, but I have always felt there was an older house on the property. It's right next to a creek and an old mill, farm goes back to the mid 18th century. There are places in the field we haven't even been in yet, it takes awhile to do a large farm, and I do travel to detect quite a bit. I'm not very interested in parks, because of the modern stuff there. I like the history. Wellllll...two weeks ago someone I was with found two 18th century buttons in this one little section we hadn't been in before. I was surprised. I also found half of a Rev War officer's type repousse (probably didn't spell that right), the kind that had the thin brass or pewter face and had a wood or bone back. I think there is something on the face, but I haven't had the time to study it. Last week was CW in Virginia, and now I'm up north, although I am in the process of cleaning my CW iron buckles as this is being written. When I got to the field I was shocked and thrilled to see the farmer had DISCED part of it! So now there is a chance we can find more stuff, after all a 6" deep disc can turn up some stuff. I was just planning on checking it out, but even though I had my good clothes (and best shoes) on, I decided I'd walk the area we found the two 18th century buttons. I wasn't there very long and got a signal. A large .69 musket ball. Now that COULD be CW, but we haven't found any of those on this site before, just Union minies and all but 1 were drops. One Enfield also two weeks ago. Walked on a bit and found a piece of broken redware, yes, it's a relic, so I kept it and an amber gunflint sticking out of the ground. Now that's a tough save! I haven't found one is so long I forget when it was, so I was getting excited. Found 5 shotgun shell bases and then started finding tombac buttons, first one, then two then three. I did read some iron on the Deus but ignored it. I can go back, and the iron isn't going anywhere. The excitement is going strong now. You have to picture this setup. I have a lightweight dress jacket on, dress slacks and an expensive pair of don't dig in these shoes on. I wasn't GOING to dig, but that disc just made me do it! The area I was digging was a relatively small area and I was getting cold fast. Pulled another button out of the ground, this one the plow had gotten pretty good, Made of brass. No way to identify it. Then I got the signal that ended the day. It ended because I was freezing. Another brass button, this one the size of a quarter. I stuffed it in my dress slacks pocket, I hadn't even brought a pouch or pinpointer with me as I really hadn't planned on doing this. The pants had to be washed, btw. All the buttons were very dirty and I didn't see anything on them. Dirt up there is darker reddish brown, and hot like the Virginia dirt but not quite as bad. I did all the errands I had to do and then had my happy nap. So about a hour ago got last week's Civil War iron going in a bath of Iron Out in hot water to clean it all up. I had bought a tupperware style tub to put everything in, later tonight or tomorrow. I had fished out the items from today from my pocket and started washing them off. I scrubbed the heck out of the tombacs, I mean, they're tombacs, and the little brass broken one is toast, if there was anything on it, there isn't now. Just a shank and a little metal where the button was. And lastly I moved to the bigger brass button. Was hoping it was a dandy. It was pretty caked in dirt. No shank. I had MOST of the dirt off the face when I stopped dead in my tracks (and almost threw up), sort of, when I realized there was a wheel on the face of the button. I have a small collection of Rev War buttons I have dug or bought over the years and I knew immediately what I had. I removed all the dirt from the back and most of it from the front to reveal an American Rev War enlisted man's coat button. After looking for the house on this farm for about a year now, not only do I find it, but found a marked Rev War button. I'm just sitting here staring at it. I had never dug one of those before, I have dug USA's some Mass. buttons and French and a British button or two, over thirty years, but this blew me away. On the button is a cannon facing right, with the flag pole and flag flying on the left side of the button. It is a Rev War American artillery enlisted mans' button. A first for me and I first started digging Rev War about 1985. Now for the pics. View attachment IMG_0565.jpg View attachment IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0567.jpg View attachment IMG_0571.jpg This has been my best year since about 1987. And considering all the new gold, EVER.

Last edited:
Upvote 33

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet oooold stuff smokey

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find! Congratulations on a spectacular button!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iโ€™ve not seen one of those itโ€™s a beautiful button! Nice find you made!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. They have been found farther north, but I hadn't heard of any in this particular county, but since there were whole Rev War armies not far away, anything is possible. I have been finding "what is that doing here?" items all year. I also never realized how widespread both the colonial and Civil War period items are around here. I have even purchased mid 18th century pottery from the local antiques stores. They had no idea what they had.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I donโ€™t even need to look in my books to know that button. Itโ€™s the one Iโ€™ve always stop at when I thumb through my Alberts button book. Congrats - itโ€™s a beauty

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wanted to dig one of the officers' type or this type or the coehorn mortar. Really happy to get this one.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my!! I love that button! Bucket lister for sure. I truly believe thatโ€™s a banner find. Congrats and HH

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Diggin Dude. I remember when I got my original copy of "History Written with Pick and Shovel" and dreamed about actually finding a real, marked Rev War button. Then about 1987, I did! The sites mentioned in that book are mostly long gone, I suppose, but I'm finding there is stuff EVERYWHERE! We just have to think out of the box to find it. Case in point, a 500 YEAR OLD Spanish hammered coin from alongside a state road which had been an old road, and before that an American Indian road, and before that, probably a deer path. Found that a few weeks ago. Never would have thought it possible.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's the last thing you dig this season well you dug a real beauty to cap off the year. Congrats on the great looking button smokey, it's purdy sweet.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find smokey I like seeing people on here make great finds I'm glad you found it... Thanks for posting it!!!!!!!Tommy

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Diggin Dude. I remember when I got my original copy of "History Written with Pick and Shovel" and dreamed about actually finding a real, marked Rev War button. Then about 1987, I did! The sites mentioned in that book are mostly long gone, I suppose, but I'm finding there is stuff EVERYWHERE! We just have to think out of the box to find it. Case in point, a 500 YEAR OLD Spanish hammered coin from alongside a state road which had been an old road, and before that an American Indian road, and before that, probably a deer path. Found that a few weeks ago. Never would have thought it possible.

Yes, some โ€œout of the boxโ€ places are my favorite. Just need to be patient and weed through a lot of junk. Well done Smokey ! Keep it coming.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know much about buttons, but that's one of the coolest I've seen.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to know more about them, but I can't remember everything. If memory serves, har har har, they came into use after 1778. Maybe even a little later. We got a lot of buttons and war material from the French some overtly and some covertly. I still am planning at least 2 more digs before January 1. One back to this site and one in Virginia. I should find SOMETHING else. This year has been exceptional, a Rev War marked button in the middle of nowhere, cannonball next to a highway, and 40 miles away from where the cannonball was found a 1500's Spanish maravedis next to another highway, SEVEN Confederate buttons from five different counties in three states, a Rev War unmarked plate and a silver cache. And a 17th century 1 reale cob from a city park (I don't do parks anymore), and of course the $5 US Gold coin somebody lost out of their bezel mount at a public beach. Maybe I should retire while I'm ahead.

relichound

Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Smokey! Congrats beautiful write up of your incredible find, and beautiful piece of American Revolutionary War history you unearthed,very happy for you my friend!

Wayne

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been cleaning up iron all evening. May have something to show tomorrow, interesting stuff with no value, but real old stuff. "Out of the box" means right alongside a road or sidewalk, next to trees, in the holes where trees were, up IN trees (yes a bayonet was found that way), IN a dirt driveway, under logs I have moved, in the worst briar patch imaginable, on TOP of a mountain, (that was a LONG time ago), and where we all park to dig and in my yard. These days I have to mark stuff as I forget where I got it pretty fast. This old cat's memory isn't like it used to be and 100 CW buttons and 300 minies later, well, they all look the same. Almost. This button was a treat as was the little lion button from a few weeks ago.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one I remember being posted! Looks great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread