🥇 BANNER Revolutionary War USA Relic? No Idea, but I Know It's Old!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep in the woods today near the spot where I found a Rev War era stirrup. Got a low 70's signal 6 inches down and thought I had dug a flat button. Wiped it off and noticed that one side had grooves on it instead of a shank. Then I turned it over and saw a USA logo on it! Looks similar to the Rev War button logo, but not quite the same. It's 1" in diameter and appears to be brass.

Did some research online, but I drew a blank. No idea what this is or how old. Hoping it's Rev War, but it could be later than that. What the heck did I find?

DSC08342.JPG DSC08340.JPG DSC08345.JPG DSC08347.JPG

Upvote 115

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FBT, that site has given you some winners! Congrats on the coin and lock and hope it keeps on giving! Good Luck and keep us posted!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim: Nicely done! I've only dug one lock plate in 30+ years, and it was a Civil War percussion type, but did recover a nice frame to a mid-19th century boot pistol frame a few years back. You've come up with another nice find. There more of the white stuff coming later today, but I'll just double up on my research to be ready when the weather turns.

Congrats on the coin and the flintlock pistol ... I knew what it was soon as seeing the first pic only because Last year I found a French gun flint that would have been in the same type gun.... I haven’t jumped into detecting yet my obsession is Indian artifacts that’s what I was looking for when I found the flint but I think I’m gonna buy myself a detector for my birthday in April here’s pic of the flint ...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521652995.416468.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
No negativity here, only realism. So I totally agree, not judgement should be made until an expert touched it. ARE U AN EXPERT?

No I am not an Expert!! Are you?

I am pretty knowledgeable on Error and Variety Coins and can usually spot counterfeit U.S. Silver Coins fairly easily, especially if in hand. Like many others, I have difficulty spotting counterfeit Copper Coins unless something jumps right out and is obvious. I find it sad, that on a website where folks go to show their' finds or get help, there are too many folks that are quick to condemn an O.P.'s coin and too many folks that jump on the same train!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the positive comments, guys. Hopefully, I'll find another coin there and resolve the issue (maybe). But my first goal is to find the rest of that gun! It may not be there, but I'm digging every signal I get now. I found it in a cart path that's completely overgrown, so it's tough to cover every square inch. Add to that the 4 inches of snow currently on the ground and it's a pain to do. But I'm stubborn as a mule and I will eventually find the rest of it (if it's there). HH.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, NOLA Ken has just figured out what this flintlock went to. It's a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (CP) musket, probably circa 1797 or 1798! Even more evidence that this is one old spot!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on achieving your first BANNER Tim, what an amazing coin to do it with too! :occasion14:

Dave

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the positive comments, guys. Hopefully, I'll find another coin there and resolve the issue (maybe). But my first goal is to find the rest of that gun! It may not be there, but I'm digging every signal I get now. I found it in a cart path that's completely overgrown, so it's tough to cover every square inch. Add to that the 4 inches of snow currently on the ground and it's a pain to do. But I'm stubborn as a mule and I will eventually find the rest of it (if it's there). HH.

ITs there... IMO.

Here are just a few items which can vary in shape and size to keep your eye out for.

Make sure detector is set to pick up brass items. Test it before going.

53-50602-l.jpg 1121830.jpg Sea+Service+disassembled.jpg Traditions-Prairie-Hawken-Kit.png wilsongeorglead.jpg

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream finds!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ITs there... IMO.

You may be right! I think I found the ramrod today, but not 100% positive. It was a good 100 feet from where I found the flintlock mechanism, but still in the cart path.

It's toasted to heck and bent. It only measures 26 inches long, which seems kind of short. Here's a couple of lousy pics. Best I can do for tonight.

photo.jpeg photo (2).jpeg

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, Lurker here :)

I am a full time professional numismatist and member of the early American Copper Association. I will bring the EAC up to speed on this thread and see if I can get any further information. Fingers crossed it is an original striking, they are incredible coins.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, guys! This spot keeps giving up the good stuff. Found an iron relic there a few weeks back and had no idea what is was. Posted it here the other day and it ended up being a flintlock musket mechanism from the early 1800's! In case anyone missed that thread, here's a couple of pics (before and after electrolysis).

View attachment 1566702 View attachment 1566703

Nice find! I believe that the lock plate is actually from a Charleville Musket but not sure which one as there were several but very similar versions produced during the middle to late 1700's (i.e. the 1763, the 1766, the 1768 and possibly more). The 1766 Charleville Musket was used by the U.S. Navy and Marines during the Revolutionary War.

1766 Charleville Musket used by U.S. Navy and Marines

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You may be right! I think I found the ramrod today, but not 100% positive. It was a good 100 feet from where I found the flintlock mechanism, but still in the cart path.

It's toasted to heck and bent. It only measures 26 inches long, which seems kind of short. Here's a couple of lousy pics. Best I can do for tonight.

View attachment 1568647 View attachment 1568649

It is likely a Ramrod as most U.S. commissioned Military Weapons from the American Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and the Civil War had solid metal Ramrods. If it is from the Charleville Musket, then the musket may have been shortened for use in dense, brushy areas or close quarters combat.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're correct! Wow, this flintlock is getting older and older! Guess I'll be doing this spot for awhile! LOL!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you are definitely picking up the iron...

Have you tested your detector on various brasses like I suggested ?

Try several types of brass and bronze to get / set your detector specifically to hone in on it.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try that, AARC, but right now I'm digging any signal over 20! That's how I found the ramrod. It was actually straight down in the ground 4 inches deep and rang up in the high 20's. Only the ball end was exposed when I dug it.

So far, I've dug two tiny flat buttons and a couple of very small pieces of harmonica reed, so I don't think I'm missing much.

Willieg

Nov 16, 2017
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN!!!!!! that is amazing... well done.. seeing coins like that come out of the ground keeps me swinging.. my hat is off for you!!👏

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
During further research, it appears that the Charleville was made in several versions (i.e. rifles, muskets, carbines) from 1717 to 1777 and possibly later. The 1754 Charleville was also produced in an Officer's Model (shorter than a musket but I cannot seem to find a barrel length for this model) and was used during the French and Indian War. Therefore, it is possible that the lock plate and Ramrod (if it is from the same weapon) could be from a 1754 Officer's Model and it may have been used in the French and Indian War. After some cleaning up, you need to get accurate measurements of the lock plate as well as the hammer, frizzen and pan and see if any Experts on the Charleville rifles, muskets, carbines and Officer's Model weapons can pinpoint which it is from.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well you are definitely picking up the iron...

Have you tested your detector on various brasses like I suggested ?

Try several types of brass and bronze to get / set your detector specifically to hone in on it.

The OP did find the Bar Cent at 6" so any other brass item is going to be detected if not too deep, just thinking here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread