Revolutionary War Veterans homesite produces 1773 VA. Halfpenny, half Real, & More!!

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revolutionary War Veteran's homesite produces 1773 VA. Halfpenny, half Real, & More!!

I was detecting today at a site that was once the home of a Revolutionary War veteran. The house site is not identified on the 1879 insurance map for this area, therefore I feel it was abandoned after his death. The gentleman served in the 12th Virginia Regiment of the Continental Army for two years according to a pension application, dated August, 1820. He died in 1842.

The home site sat on a small hill along a spring. The finds were all on the slope, as I wasn't able to locate any targets on the top of the hill, possibly from someone moving the soil in the past. I was able to recover period artifacts that help identify the site to the aforementioned veteran. The finds were great in quality as I found my oldest real, although it is in poor shape. The flat button with a man blowing into a horn and what appears to read, "fire" is similar to an early fireman's association button that I located on a Google search. Honestly, I was only able to locate one, so if anyone has more information, please share. The dandy and gold gilt buttons both have great design. I personally enjoy recovering pewter buttons and the shanks of the two I dug are intact. I was hoping for a "USA" on the front. The end of the utensil has a maker mark of Dixon & Son.

I recovered a copper coin that I thought was a half cent, as it was smaller than a large cent. It was encrusted with dirt and I didn't want to damage so I waited to toothpick when I got home. Oddly, I wasnt seeing the familiar wreath or half cent on the back, so I had no clue what I had dug. After identifying Virgi at one angle and nia on the other I thought, Virginia Halfpenny! I researched the coin to discover it would be dated, 1773! I think I can make out the date now as the back is in much better shape than the obverse. Wow, what a great find in Kentucky. I have to think the veteran brought the coin back from Virginia after his service in the Revolutionary War! The coin has covered a great distance and I am ecstatic to have the story to tell! Thanks for reading and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG